Football 2023/24

charlierc

10 minutes ago, LukeCage said:

Liverpool have 75 points with 3 games left so can get 84

Only one game left for Liverpool innit?

7 minutes ago, LukeCage said:

No. Liverpool  and Arsenal have 3 games each left and City have 4.

Season doesn't finish until 19th May

ok, soz.

14 hours ago, Neil said:

there was no Newcastle millions, just a circular money trail, where hall sucked money from the club and then gave it back to the club and said "look at the money I've given!"

Went in waves as I recall. Newcastle were big spenders in the 90s, and biggest spenders total in 95-98, then cut-back a bit, then splurged again in the mid-00s, then got into a financial pickle because Hall & the Shepherds weren't willing to put their dividends back in and used up the adidas/Northern Rock advance.

Admittedly getting money out of Northern Rock in spring 2007 months before the infamous autumn 2007 bank run probably kept them as sponsor for longer than they should've.

I remember getting Ipswich from League One to the Prem with back-to-back promotions in Football Manager a few years ago. Kinda funny to think that after winning a game in hand at Coventry tonight, a point for Ipswich against a practically-relegated Huddersfield on Saturday puts Ipswich up and brings that FM premonition true.

McKenna has done an outstanding job.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Surely Scotland can get past the group this time!

You never know 🤞 

In theory, 4 points and finish 3rd could be enough now. Technically 3rd and only 3 points might also get you through.

Great for us to be involved in the opening game. Very much looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Surely Scotland can get past the group this time!

1 minute ago, Comfy Bean said:

You never know 🤞 

In theory, 4 points and finish 3rd could be enough now. Technically 3rd and only 3 points might also get you through.

Great for us to be involved in the opening game. Very much looking forward to it.

I think it has to be the achievable but it will be tricky. Germany looked better in their last friendlies, Hungary have done super well and Switzerland are capable.

But hey - 3 one-off games is the perfect forum to try and spring a surprise and Scotland looked good in qualifying. Plus as noted, 4 points is likely to be enough to reach the knockouts.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

You never know 🤞 

I’m sure Wales got through on 4 last time. The group doesn’t look that exciting, but one where qualification looks possible. Seeing Wales get to the semis in 2016 was amazing, but always felt the only way was down!

9 hours ago, charlierc said:

I think it has to be the achievable but it will be tricky. Germany looked better in their last friendlies, Hungary have done super well and Switzerland are capable.

But hey - 3 one-off games is the perfect forum to try and spring a surprise and Scotland looked good in qualifying. Plus as noted, 4 points is likely to be enough to reach the knockouts.

Scotland have pretty much fell of the cliff results wise, no win in 7. 1 win this season, against Cyprus at the start of September. 

"The head of Premier League referees, Howard Webb, has said he is exploring the possibility that referees might be allowed to explain some of their decisions to the crowd inside a stadium for the first time."

To be honest, he should be exploring the possibility of resigning from PGMOL and be an honorary Manchester citizen instead.

5 hours ago, thetime said:

Scotland have pretty much fell of the cliff results wise, no win in 7. 1 win this season, against Cyprus at the start of September. 

Scotland are saving all their goals and clean sheets up for june/july 😄 at least thats the theory

Man City, Man United and Villa voted against the EPL salary cap. Chelsea decided to abstain from voting.

From these 4 clubs only Villa is a "surprise". We all know that the other 3 would have good chances to go downhill (or even more downhill) with a rule like this.

Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham would be the winners if the wage gap between them and City will get reduced.

16 minutes ago, #1SzigetFan said:

Man City, Man United and Villa voted against the EPL salary cap. Chelsea decided to abstain from voting.

From these 4 clubs only Villa is a "surprise". We all know that the other 3 would have good chances to go downhill (or even more downhill) with a rule like this.

Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham would be the winners if the wage gap between them and City will get reduced.

Are you understanding the potential new rule? 

The rule wants only 85% of revenue on wages. Man utd current revenue is around £650 million, with wages coming to under 200m per year. 

Now I might not be a mathematician, but I'm sure there's plenty of scope for more over rated players on high wages. 

It's perhaps going to impact the likes of Villa, Newcastle and West Ham a lot more. As the likes of United, Liverpool and city's revenue is a lot bigger than the villas and west hams. 

19 minutes ago, thetime said:

The rule wants only 85% of revenue on wages. Man utd current revenue is around £650 million, with wages coming to under 200m per year. 

Now I might not be a mathematician, but I'm sure there's plenty of scope for more over rated players on high wages. 

It's perhaps going to impact the likes of Villa, Newcastle and West Ham a lot more. As the likes of United, Liverpool and city's revenue is a lot bigger than the villas and west hams. 

Wrong.

It has been widely reported that a multiple of four-and-a-half be adopted, meaning that based on the 2022/23 merit payments, that would be the £94.2m that Southampton achieved directly from TV revenue, with that sum made up of equal share, merit payments and facility fees that were derived from domestic and international rights. At four-and-a-half times multiplied, that would be £423.9m as a cap.

"Liverpool had the third highest wage bill in the Premier League last year at £373m, a rise of £165m from where it was in 2017, behind Chelsea’s £404m and Manchester City’s £423m."

So, small clubs will be able to spend as much as they can afford. The main club that is going to be impacted is Man City because they won't be able to spend much more on wages.

10 minutes ago, #1SzigetFan said:

Wrong.

"Liverpool had the third highest wage bill in the Premier League last year at £373m, a rise of £165m from where it was in 2017, behind Chelsea’s £404m and Manchester City’s £423m."

So, small clubs will be able to spend as much as they can afford. The main club that is going to be impacted is Man City because they won't be able to spend much more on wages.

Oh I've misunderstood wage bills, everywhere I have read is that united were at number 1.

Liverpool wage bill higher than uniteds? How? 

14 minutes ago, thetime said:

Screenshot_20240501_170057_X.thumb.jpg.ecc80c2a069083334f4ef5e76607986a.jpg

one points reduction with no silverware and everton sh*t themselves 😛 

3 hours ago, thetime said:

2 hours ago, thetime said:

Oh I've misunderstood wage bills, everywhere I have read is that united were at number 1.

Liverpool wage bill higher than uniteds? How? 

Sky content: "The details still need to be worked on but clubs not in Europe would be allowed to spend 85 per cent of their club revenue on squad costs. That involves wages for their players, amortised transfer fees and also agent fees. The clubs that are in Europe would be allowed to spend a maximum of 70 per cent on squad costs."

UEFA has this rule coming in for 25/26, so I'm aware it's on its way for those in the Champions League et all. What is the more aggressive element that I think is why the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Aston Villa did not endorse them is the principle of "anchoring", which is that the highest earners could only spend X amount of the lowest earners, though the specifics are still being worked out - and let's be real, will probably wind up being watered down by the time they're implemented.

20 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I’m sure Wales got through on 4 last time. The group doesn’t look that exciting, but one where qualification looks possible. Seeing Wales get to the semis in 2016 was amazing, but always felt the only way was down!

Last time, Wales finished second so would've advanced under the old rules, but Switzerland finished third also on 4 points.

44 minutes ago, Neil said:

so germany got the extra champions league place, bad news for spurs & man utd.

United won't get 5th, if anyone newcastle would be the team challenging spurs for 5th.

United haven't beat anyone outside the bottom 6 since start of February, that isn't going to suddenly change. Can see us finishing 7th, conference league is beckoning when we lose the cup final. 

Edited by thetime

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Neil said:

so germany got the extra champions league place, bad news for spurs & man utd.

Was to be expected tbf after everyone in the Premier League got knocked out of both Champions League and Europa League.

Edited by charlierc