Smallest crowds on big stages/biggest crowds on small stages?

churlie100

7 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Stevie Wonder was an all-timer. I think EJ is going to be as well.

Don't make the same mistake twice, Skip! 😄

Difference for me is that I like some Stevie Wonder tunes

I don't like a single EJ one

17 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Difference for me is that I like some Stevie Wonder tunes

I don't like a single EJ one

It's nice when that happens tho tbh and you know you're not missing out on anything. I'd like to experience that once. For Macca last year for example, I would've been elsewhere. Deep in the SEC in plenty of space prob 'cos the other headliner options that night also didn't look great.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Deep in the SEC in plenty of space prob 'cos the other headliner options that night also didn't look great.

That's my plan for this year, The Temple, after a brief visit to Arcadia to see the wonderful Dazee and maybe Shy FX

On 6/12/2023 at 9:57 PM, catavento said:

Smallest big stage crowd, come to think of it, probably Bleachers in the John Peel. Just wandered in on my way back to the tent, had no idea who they were. The crowd must have been in double figures, including people milling around at the back, so I wasn't alone in that. 

Of course it turned out it was Jack Antonoff's other band, and he's gone on to be successful enough as a producer to not even remember performing to me and about 60 others.

When Taylor was announced for 2020, he was one of the first to congratulate her/say how amazing it would be. I was also at that gig and think he has fond memories of it. Definitely didn’t affect the performance.

4 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

When Taylor was announced for 2020, he was one of the first to congratulate her/say how amazing it would be. I was also at that gig and think he has fond memories of it. Definitely didn’t affect the performance.

That's good, it's always a bit awkward when somebody is down about their set because the crowd wasn't quite there. It's often just a case of timing anyway, like maybe their album hadn't been out yet or maybe they were up against something huge that drew away the people who might have watched them, etc. 

My record was actually being in a crowd of about five people watching something in Silver Hayes once. The band were sweet about it though (lesson there for the Royal Bloods of the world...) 

8 hours ago, catavento said:

That's good, it's always a bit awkward when somebody is down about their set because the crowd wasn't quite there. It's often just a case of timing anyway, like maybe their album hadn't been out yet or maybe they were up against something huge that drew away the people who might have watched them, etc. 

My record was actually being in a crowd of about five people watching something in Silver Hayes once. The band were sweet about it though (lesson there for the Royal Bloods of the world...) 

Sometimes the best gigs are the ones with smaller crowds. Just seems to be more appreciation from both sides.

Was also at the St. Vincent gig last year mentioned earlier in the thread. Think she was up against Sam Fender and Phoebe Bridgers’ set clashed a little (we rushed over to the Other Stage when Phoebe finished).

for biggest crowd in smallest stage I remember one year randomly wandering into a tiny venue that I'd never seen before or since where it was like you were in a house party (just looked like a living room you'd see on Coronation street in the 70s, they had the flying ducks thing on the wall and horrendous old wall paper). Was absolutely rammed to a guy playing jazzy versions of pop songs with everyone singing along. Everybody refused to let him leave when his set finished so he had to keep playing (only time I've seen an artist physically forced to do an encore by the audience). was really surreal. think it was somewhere near West Holts, remember wandering into it after the The Mothership Returns - George Clinton, Parliament Funkadelic & The Family Stone set in 2015.

Edited by found home in 2009