Flag Poles (for camp, not stages)

Franky

1 hour ago, StuwieG said:

So it doesn’t fit snug over the flag pole? The ground stake they’ve sent is really thin 

Yup that's it. Whack the ground stake into the ground so about 30cm of it is in the earth. Then take the cap off the bottom of the flag pole (once it's extended otherwise all the sections will fall through backwards) and that's it. There's nothing to lift the flag up in the air so its own horizontal tension when moving will keep it from slipping over the stake.

I use two ground stakes for my 6m pole but it would be fine with one.

Edited by PocketTim
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/3/2023 at 1:11 PM, SighMo said:

Here’s what I did to make the pole fit snuggly. Loads of tape. IMG_0425.thumb.jpeg.7e451545435c652519945d46072be533.jpegIMG_0426.thumb.jpeg.cce193b5d990fdcff7d57eeed5e04341.jpegIMG_0434.thumb.jpeg.9b8f9f681adfa9abe5c852364c852a49.jpeg

Hmm, this is a weird set up and different to mine. My ground stake is about the width of two writing pencils and it's not meant to be snug as the play is to help take some of the strain in the wind, otherwise if it's really snug and the wind pushes it, the ground stake will just snap/lever itself out of the ground.

Maybe just different designs.

3 minutes ago, PocketTim said:

Hmm, this is a weird set up and different to mine. My ground stake is about the width of two writing pencils and it's not meant to be snug as the play is to help take some of the strain in the wind, otherwise if it's really snug and the wind pushes it, the ground stake will just snap/lever itself out of the ground.

Maybe just different designs.

My ground stake is very strong and will not bend at all. Takes quite a bit of effort knocking it in, especially when dry.

Generally I'd recommend throwing away the top section of any of these fishing/flag poles as they're too thin to hold a flag up tidily.

The ground stakes need to be long and deeply set to keep it properly safely upright, and some padding/tape around the top to avoid any pressure points on the inside of the pole itself reduces risk of splitting. Falling flagpoles quite nasty.

We tend to use some bunting to make guylines for about halfway up the pole. Nicely decorates a campsite and means less demand on the groundstake. Use a little normal string at the bottom of each bunting-guyline to avoid bunting-in-mud grossness.

For advanced flag fun - if you want to have your flag able to easily rotate without wrapping then find some thin plastic tube that slides down to the height you want your flag top or bottom fixed and cut a short 2cm section off, attach the flag to that new collar and use some electrical tape wrapped around the pole a bunch of times to stop the collar sliding too far up or down.

5 hours ago, PocketTim said:

Any updates on yours? I've got my Yunexpress tracking number but their tracking service doesn't seem to work.

June,08,2023

11:47:14
Local time
“Shipment is in transit to next facility”

With a little plane next to it 👍

surely only a good thing 🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, Franky said:

It arrived 🥳🥳

No eyelets though which I did order. So advice on this please as I only have the sleeve on the left of the flag to attach it to the flagpole with. 

IMG_7939.jpeg

something like this from Amazon will sort things for you....

400 Pcs Grommets Eyelets Kit Tool, Copper Tarpaulin Eyelets, Metal Eyelets, Fabric Eyelets Grommets Kit for Fabric Canvas Leather Banners Tarpaulin Curtains DIY and Decoration, 5mm Inside Diameter : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

6 minutes ago, deadponyclub said:

Lovely ta. Will have a look at those. Might need to enlist the good wife on this one 😂😂

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Drinky said:

For those who ordered printed up flags… what was the lead time from order to arrival? Looking at ordering one myself for something in 10 days time (or ordering one for twice the price from an American company…)

Careful with the American one, I ordered one from there years ago and got hit with import charges on it when it went through customs.

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

Bump! Any advice on telescopic poles of for those that used the ones suggested here, how did they hold up?

All my kit was fantastic. It’s all in the loft but pretty sure if you read upwards you will see what I ordered in the posts. 

Give yourself plenty of time to order it all, I say 8 weeks at least but only because that’s wayyyy more time than you will need 👍

• Thanks 1

I use telescopic poles from Skyblue Leisure.  Gaffer tape the joins to stop them collapsing.  Then lights all up the pole so you can find it at night.  My lights are powered by a separate 12 volt car battery.

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2024 at 9:51 PM, grumpyhack said:

I use telescopic poles from Skyblue Leisure.  Gaffer tape the joins to stop them collapsing.  Then lights all up the pole so you can find it at night.  My lights are powered by a separate 12 volt car battery.

+1 for Skyblue Leisure, that's where my pole was from