1st timers - See tickets Coach from Bath

AshleighJH94

We’ve got return coach & ticket package leaving from Bath on the Wednesday. Does anyone know where the coach departs from in Bath? Have some friends coming from afar so would like to book some form of accommodation for the Tuesday night but not being told until 30 days before makes it a little tricky. 

also - see tickets state “trolleys are not welcome” on the coaches. Has anyone taken a trolley/folding trolley on these busses before and been ok? We’re walking all the way from coach drop off to Sticklinch and Rig Field so a trolley would be ideal! 

7 minutes ago, AshleighJH94 said:

also - see tickets state “trolleys are not welcome” on the coaches. Has anyone taken a trolley/folding trolley on these busses before and been ok? We’re walking all the way from coach drop off to Sticklinch and Rig Field so a trolley would be ideal! 

This depends on a few different things. What they really mean is "trollies piled high with slabs of beer are not welcome".

In other words - don't take the piss and you'll be fine. The general rule of thumb is that drivers will do their best to fit everything on. If they can't (and this does happen), then the first thing left behind will be the trollies with large amounts of alcohol.

If you're just taking a trolley instead of a rucksack, with your normal gear on it, then that's not going to be an issue (though the usual advice that most trollies aren't strong enough to handle the uneven terrain obviously still applies).

4 minutes ago, AshleighJH94 said:

Ah ok yes makes sense! I’ve found one online that folds up into a kind of carry case type thing so wondering if they will be alright with that! 

A72E4888-D6A8-4E9F-8532-91C242594307.jpeg

They'll be fine with that.

You won't.

Assuming it's carrying any notable amount of weight, that trolley won't even make it through the first gate, let alone all the way to Sticklinch.

6 minutes ago, AshleighJH94 said:

You reckon?! The wheels are proper chunky in the other pictures and says it hold up to 80kg

Weight loadings are calculated based on them being evenly loaded and used on a perfectly flat and smooth surface.

None of that applies here. Assume that at absolute best you'll manage 25% of any quoted figure, and probably less than that. The wheels might look chunky, but the way they're attached and the general structure of it looks very flimsy.

Honestly, you'd be better just using a rucksack. Same applies to most people who bring trollies really - we camp not far from Gate A and there's always plenty of broken ones discarded as people underestimate the terrain, or people who are struggling to slowly pull and push a trolley that's missing at least one wheel.

My suggestion would be if you know anyone who's coming by car is to see if you can get them to bring your alcohol and camping chairs to the site for you.

We have done this twice when going by coach and it helped us a lot, we just walked out to the car with them once we had pitched up and collected everything and got them a couple of pints to say thank you once we were all sorted.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

My suggestion would be if you know anyone who's coming by car is to see if you can get them to bring your alcohol and camping chairs to the site for you.

A hundred times this.  I did this last year as had some friends who ran a stall in the green craft field so they were able to take my booze in. It was a life saver!

17 hours ago, AshleighJH94 said:

Does anyone know where the coach departs from in Bath?

I think it's called the Riverside Coach park.  All i remember is that it was in a lovely park quite close to the centre of Bath.

On 12/1/2022 at 5:58 PM, AshleighJH94 said:

Ah ok yes makes sense! I’ve found one online that folds up into a kind of carry case type thing so wondering if they will be alright with that! 

You could carry 4 times that amount of weight that this trolley can handle, on your back comfortably. 

In the run up to the first time I went I thought people were exaggerating about how poorly this specific type of trolley does, they weren't, dead trolleys everywhere. Even some of the more heavy duty sack trucks fall victim, losing a wheel or something similar. 

Do not buy this trolley, those brackets holding the wheels to the frame will have bent or snapped off completely by the time you've got through the gate. 

If you must get that type of trolley, something like these would be better, but still not entirely immune to the topography of the land... And you still have the bus issue...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/the-handy-large-garden-trolley-1400-x-640-x-650mm/8750d

https://www.screwfix.com/p/the-handy-thgt-garden-trolley-small-109-x-50-x-25cm/7098d

But honestly... On a bus I'd just try and take something like this...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/heavy-duty-hand-truck-300kg/3602p

And something to secure the load very well!

On 12/1/2022 at 5:58 PM, AshleighJH94 said:

Useless for Glasto. Highly likely to end up in the bin before you get halfway to your tent.

On 12/1/2022 at 6:57 PM, AshleighJH94 said:

You reckon?! The wheels are proper chunky in the other pictures and says it hold up to 80kg

Think of Glastonbury as the equivalent of an army assault course for trolleys. Uphill and downhill across rough stone roads. Only the strong survive and perceived every day weight carrying performance means nothing. Ideally trolleys need a robust sturdy frame, very strong axles and large pneumatic tyres. Any yes, even these come a cropper from time to time.

Haha these replies are very helpful. I’ve been to multiple festivals in the last 10 years so understand trolleys are not always the best way. 

unfortunately, don’t know anyone currently driving that could take our booze for us but that is something we can keep in mind for sure. 

if all else fails my plan is to have a big 65L bag on my back and a smaller backpack on my front and hopefully distribute the weight across my body 😅

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...