Neil Young 2023

Bomei

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Is it out of the question that he’d sub?

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Would a sub slot like Noel had this year be totally out of the question? Noel had one of the biggest crowds of the weekend. 

Since you asked twice... 😉

Head says no, but heart maybe says yes? The question is who the hell he'd sub though - it would have to be a very particular lead-in, if that makes sense, someone NY wouldn't have an issue with playing second banana to.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

There's always been a dance element to their......music.

Nicely done.

Didn't they have a big reunion show in Leeds the other month? Heard attendance was ropey, to put it mildly. (But given I've been accidentally pedaling poor attendance info on Dua Lipa, maybe I should quit this line of business.)

35 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Was it 2008 ish? I saw him around then and the 25 minute version of No Hidden Path (a new tune) defo lost a few people!

2014. Looks like Gonzo has it below.

30 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

My brother went with some NY newbies and he said that Goin' Home lasted about half an hour and absolutely banjaxed the vibe of the gig cos absolutely no c**t knew it.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Since you asked twice... 😉

Head says no, but heart maybe says yes? The question is who the hell he'd sub though - it would have to be a very particular lead-in, if that makes sense, someone NY wouldn't have an issue with playing second banana to.

Think the only person who he’d  agree to play second fiddle to would be macca (he did it at that desert trip the other year) off topic but this version of “I saw her standing there” he did with ch is sensational 

https://youtu.be/KnYy4-H7HWo

Edited by eddie_corrigan

On 7/9/2022 at 11:27 AM, NorthernSoul52 said:

Would be grand to have a shot at Crazy Horse - not that I'd be here. Saw the gig with Promise of the Real in Leeds in... 2016.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-young-promise-of-the-real/2016/first-direct-arena-leeds-england-bfe1d4a.html

Decent show.

I saw him headline in 09, have to say one of the best gigs I have ever seen. He seemed to love it to. Saw him also in 2016.  Different band, different gig, but excellent.

12 hours ago, judyblue110 said:

Never happened. I was there. Psychedelic Pill was like 5 minutes long. 

Neil won't be touring again any time soon, unfortunately.

Is this inside knowledge or an opinion? 

he is a long shot for Glastonbury. Pyramid headliner or nothing. But would happily see him wherever. 

That Leeds gig with Promise of the Real was incredible. I went with a seasoned Neil watcher who said it was the most fun he'd seen NY having in years.  Was distinctly better than the 2013 Crazy Horse gig at the O2 (tho the venue may have been part of the problem, as well as sitting near some people who racially abused the bar staff...)

I also watched Ray Davies in 09 and now regret it. Would love to see him back on the farm but it's headline or nothing for me- the sub spot is hard to nail when the pit is half full of people just getting a spot for the headliner, and there aren't that many people who he has cross over appeal to that might play...  

Would a top two of Neil Young into Pearl Jam work?  (I'd personally have NY top the bill, just trying to think of fanbases that would respect both....)

2 minutes ago, ogriff said:

Would a top two of Neil Young into Pearl Jam work?  (I'd personally have NY top the bill, just trying to think of fanbases that would respect both....)

Neiler isn't really one to go back and or do something again so cant see it happening. 

1 hour ago, eddie_corrigan said:

Think the only person who he’d  agree to play second fiddle to would be macca (he did it at that desert trip the other year) off topic but this version of “I saw her standing there” he did with ch is sensational 

https://youtu.be/KnYy4-H7HWo

Ooof. That is tidy. 

9 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

For those who have seen both... CH or POTR? 

Nowadays, POTR. CH without Poncho just doesn't feel the same to me.

Plus, like the "Electric Band" in 2008 - 2009, POTR can tackle Neil's entire back catalogue, whereas CH are more limited.

CH are still the best ever, mind you. Just feel that POTR have elevated Neil live in recent years at a point where he could have been slowing down.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, judyblue110 said:

Plus, like the "Electric Band" in 2008 - 2009, POTR can tackle Neil's entire back catalogue, whereas CH are more limited.

CH are still the best ever, mind you. Just feel that POTR have elevated Neil live in recent years at a point where he could have been slowing down.

Interesting - thank you! 

1 hour ago, judyblue110 said:

With poncho retired and working on the assumption ch tour next year they’ll need another guitarist as I’m guessing nils will be booked out for the year with Bruce.