Wisdom of taking a 7-year-old to Glastonbury

Neil365

Hi,

I’m going to be taking my seven year old daughter to Glastonbury. 
its just me and her and I’m a bit apprehensive about whether she’ll enjoy it and also the sheer scale/crowds.

She’s a big 7 (in 9-10 year old clothes) but I’m not sure about getting around. Lots of people recommend a ‘festival trolley’ or garden trolly but don’t know if dragging 35kg of child in a trolley is realistic!!?? plus what do you do with them when you reach a spot.

Any general advice on taking a seven year old welcome 😬

Edited by Neil365

I'm going solo this year, but my 7 year old will be joining me for Saturday - Sunday. Will be a bit of a shock to the system for them in the scale of it, and also with having done the few days build up as well, but I'm expecting to be spending a lot of Saturday in the Kidz field. 

The kid has been a few times before, including at a month old. 

You just have to accept that you're not going to see much that you normally might and kind of let them lead what and where you go I think. I'll be sticking the dogs GPS tracker on them though. 

• Thanks 1

We are taking our 9yo, he was 7 last time we went. He loved it but you have to accept you will be spending a lot of time in the kids fields. Yes do take something to let her sit in even if you lock it up all day, just because by evening they are tired and you can’t physically carry them in crowds etc. He loved watching half The Killers but crashed out before the end, so was wheeled to bed at the end. Our best tip is go for a wander with them around Arcadia or se corner in the evening while headliner bands are on, kids love to see it all lit up but you won’t want to be there when the crowds descend later. You will both have a great time with some planning, have fun! 

• Like 1

I took my 7 year old son in 2019 on my own. We'd been in previous years but with other family members. I couldn't imagine him in a trolley then. He was actually a trooper - my phone said we did 30000 steps on Friday - we were both knackered on the Sunday though so think we'll pace it this year. He didn't moan though. There was a hell of a lot of ice cream and bottles of pop being consumed - might have helped with the energy levels. We saw more bands than I thought we would with time mixed in in the kids field and the theatre/circus field. My son loved that area - which is a nice place for a chill and a pint whilst he was occupied with the performers. I think it's a case of compromise and getting some music where you can but then enjoying the other stuff that the kids will enjoy too even if its not the main stages and the big stuff. My son is willingly coming back this year. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

A trolley was amazing when mine were 5/6yo - meant we could watch headliners. They'd fall asleep. We'd pull them back to base. Perfect.

7 going on 10 sounds a bit too old/big though! I'm sure you'll have lot of fun.