wet wipes alternatives?....

PassingCloud

The best alternative is to take a collapsible wash bowl that fits in a camping bag (costs a few pound from the likes of b&m). Fill it up with water once awake and have a proper wash outside the tent. 100x better than any wet wipe. Makes you feel fresh and ready for the day 

• Upvote 4

We are so in tune. Was doing my "alternative to wet wipe" ponder this afternoon. I was looking at this stuff, but i think it makes more moist toilet roll rather than the full durable wet wipe experience. 

I was then looking at biodegradable wet wipes, that break down in 12 weeks, but apparently they aren't great either??

• Like 1

8 hours ago, irnkrtn said:

We are so in tune. Was doing my "alternative to wet wipe" ponder this afternoon. I was looking at this stuff, but i think it makes more moist toilet roll rather than the full durable wet wipe experience. 

I was then looking at biodegradable wet wipes, that break down in 12 weeks, but apparently they aren't great either??

I'm going to get a bottle of the wype stuff just to see. It has good reviews. I'm going with child so I think the use of some wet wipes is going to be the case, but pretty much just for doing wet wipe shower (if we can't get to the showers). If it's just face washing then a wet flannel and friendly travel soap is good. I have some dry shower stuff (by mucoff, i think) but have never used it (that's more plastic waste i suppose!) It's not a great excuse but i have the comfort of knowing that I barely ever use disposable wipes at home. Trying to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good here. 

As an aside (and possibly TMI 😆), at home i bought a bidet attachment thing for the toilet, basically like a small shower head. It was about £15 and a doddle to fit. Much better than TP which you need up using a lot less of. 

9 hours ago, MaseTMT said:

The best alternative is to take a collapsible wash bowl that fits in a camping bag (costs a few pound from the likes of b&m). Fill it up with water once awake and have a proper wash outside the tent. 100x better than any wet wipe. Makes you feel fresh and ready for the day 

Definitely for a small wash and faces. But for a full on bath/shower can't see it happening. Obviously daily shower is the best solution to all of this, but we know that's not always happening at a festival.

4 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

I'm going to get a bottle of the wype stuff just to see. It has good reviews. I'm going with child so I think the use of some wet wipes is going to be the case, but pretty much just for doing wet wipe shower (if we can't get to the showers). If it's just face washing then a wet flannel and friendly travel soap is good. I have some dry shower stuff (by mucoff, i think) but have never used it (that's more plastic waste i suppose!) It's not a great excuse but i have the comfort of knowing that I barely ever use disposable wipes at home. Trying to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good here. 

As an aside (and possibly TMI 😆), at home i bought a bidet attachment thing for the toilet, basically like a small shower head. It was about £15 and a doddle to fit. Much better than TP which you need up using a lot less of. 

Not at all a TMI! What a great idea. 

I have tried mucoff, it made my hair quite sticky but other people I know swear by it so likely user error on my part. We're in the van this year so will have a full washing complement back at base for a change. Going to stick with the flannel set up and leave the wet wipes out entirely I reckon this year. Do let us know how you get on with the wype! With a kid I reckon that's going to be an essential. 

4 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

I think I read they prefer people not to use wipes at all but if you have to then non-plastic, rapidly biodegradable ones are preferred.

So, it turns out these are also unideal because many of them break down into micro plastics, and then the non plastic ones let off various gases. No judgment here for using any and all, as I prepare my petrol vehicle to head down for a weekend festivalling! We can but do what we can. But I don't have kids or any excuse to not just use a towel!

These are meant to be good - washable reusable ones Reusable Baby Wipes from Cheeky Wipes: Natural Cloth Baby Wipes All-In-One Kit

I've also bought 10 50ml bottles with carabiners on so i can carry hand wash, hand sanitiser and some hand cream. That and a decent flannel should do the job round site! 

Edited by irnkrtn

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been taking a collapsible bucket to festivals for a few years now

Have a  “birdy bath” every day and wash my hair in it. If the weathers good don some swimmers and you can pretty much have a full on wash. 

i don’t know why more people don’t do this , makes you feel soooo much better in the mornings then any wet wipe could !

As mentioned dude. 

water & cloth, Personally I bring a pair of baggie board shorts (to protect your modesty) flip flops (to avoid the muddy puddle you’ll create).  I have a collapsible 10ltr water carrier & a large measuring jug. I pour jug loads over me and have a full blown shower. I swear I’m one of the cleanest mf’s there. 

I’ve used this from day one because wet wipes are gross and it’s a fake wash, not because of environmental reasons. 

17 hours ago, amyg1990 said:

I’ve been taking a collapsible bucket to festivals for a few years now

Have a  “birdy bath” every day and wash my hair in it. If the weathers good don some swimmers and you can pretty much have a full on wash. 

i don’t know why more people don’t do this , makes you feel soooo much better in the mornings then any wet wipe could !

Yeah I’ve got a collapsible washing up bowl. You’re right, makes you feel loads better. Can imagine there’s people that don’t even bother washing their face for 5 days 😟

In a dream world there would be somewhere to swim. Just got back from camping and jumping in the river was beautiful today (30c here).

7 hours ago, bennyboi said:

As mentioned dude. 

water & cloth, Personally I bring a pair of baggie board shorts (to protect your modesty) flip flops (to avoid the muddy puddle you’ll create).  I have a collapsible 10ltr water carrier & a large measuring jug. I pour jug loads over me and have a full blown shower. I swear I’m one of the cleanest mf’s there. 

I’ve used this from day one because wet wipes are gross and it’s a fake wash, not because of environmental reasons. 

Tap……🤣😉😉😗

Definitely is a fake wash and doesn’t come close to fresh water. Cold water makes you feel great too. 

On 6/18/2022 at 10:23 AM, Twiggy553 said:

I was interested in the evidence for this (what gases etc). But i can’t find anything- does anyone have a link?

They most likely mean methane (worse than CO2 for climate change) as most biodegradable products give off methane as they decompose in a landfill: https://www.npr.org/2021/07/13/1012218119/epa-struggles-to-track-methane-from-landfills-heres-why-it-matters-for-the-clima?t=1655726342858

So it's not anything specific to paper-based wipes, the same gas would be given off if you scrunched up a sheet of A4 and it ended up in a landfill.

On 5/31/2022 at 6:43 PM, PassingCloud said:

Anyone have any alternative solutions to wet wipes?.......

Anyone used this product?

https://wypeuk.com/pages/shop

I started to going to festivals as a kid with my parents. We took old fashioned flannels, two each. one for our faces and armpits, one for our bottoms! we would dry them over the tent at night 

• Upvote 2