news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, Neil said:

Same as the NHS, lack of investment and forward thinking. 

I do think one of the biggest problems the NHS is facing isn't cuts there (which were ringfenced for a long time), but indirect cuts. You cut social care in councils, and people stay in hospital longer as there's nowhere to go, you cut domestic violence services and housing services, and people stay with abusive partners longer/more. You sell the profitable parts off and there's less money to portion out.

It's across everything, a complete lack of understanding of how interdependent government services are.

And yet we'll see both Tories and Labour promising "tougher sentences", without fixing the courts backlog.

22 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I do think one of the biggest problems the NHS is facing isn't cuts there (which were ringfenced for a long time), but indirect cuts. You cut social care in councils, and people stay in hospital longer as there's nowhere to go, you cut domestic violence services and housing services, and people stay with abusive partners longer/more. You sell the profitable parts off and there's less money to portion out.

It's across everything, a complete lack of understanding of how interdependent government services are.

And yet we'll see both Tories and Labour promising "tougher sentences", without fixing the courts backlog.

Definitely with social care.

We have an aging population and NHS hasn't had necessary funds or been adapted for that. I expect Labour will attempt to bring in reforms and do stuff that Tories wouldn't dare do.

37 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

We have an aging population and NHS hasn't had necessary funds or been adapted for that. I expect Labour will attempt to bring in reforms and do stuff that Tories wouldn't dare do.

I mean yes, I agree, there'll be massively better on social care, the foster system, and all sorts of services than have been abandoned for charities to do. And that'll give huge indirect improvements to the NHS.

But my point stands on crime/courts. Starmer will fail the country as much as the Tories there, with his authoritarian rhetoric.

10 hours ago, steviewevie said:

We have an aging population and NHS hasn't had necessary funds or been adapted for that

the tories have undercut the services which deal with those oldies.

9 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Are interest rates going to go higher ?   I do wonder...  

I was interested in how interest rates do impact house prices and found this interesting.  

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/168889/economics/does-rising-interest-rates-always-result-in-fall-in-house-prices/

Rates were basically 0 for the last few years and have been very very low since 2008. That's abnormal.

I think this graph sums it up well. That red line has to come down and it is to the benefit of almost everyone that it does.

34 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

There are lots of graphs we could look at so heres one more...

image.png.79218d3e18fe7b31957ee31a2d6ad75c.png

What this graph tells me is you might be able to nab a bit of a bargain at some point if you time it right but house prices mostly only go one way even with the little dips in the road.   

That’s nominal terms, not real. House prices in the early 90s fell way more than that graph suggests. 

Also the 2008/9 crash would have been way worse if govs hadn’t propped things up via QE and nonsense policies like ‘help to buy’. Then the stamp duty holiday which was ludicrous during covid. They’ve created a bubble, the bubble has never been so big. Look at Canada and NZ and how things are dropping there. The massive rise since the last crash has been built upon extremely cheap credit, it’s unsustainable. Plus with inflation so high the gov and boe’s hands are tied.

Either way, I’ll be able to afford something, I live in glasgow not SE England or London. My overall point is just these insane prices are bad for society and it’s bad for your kids. Unless you want them living with you till they’re 40 

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

There are lots of graphs we could look at so heres one more...

image.png.79218d3e18fe7b31957ee31a2d6ad75c.png

What this graph tells me is you might be able to nab a bit of a bargain at some point if you time it right but house prices mostly only go one way even with the little dips in the road.   

the govt control the price of houses, via the amount of land they release for housing, via the planning system.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

the govt control the price of houses, via the amount of land they release for housing, via the planning system.

and then secondary to that, via how easy they make it for someone to get the cash to buy a house, via lending rules, and interest rates.

Edited by Neil

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

apparently opposition parties have kicked off about this being leaked to BBC before officially announced in parliament.

its not like the snp to collude with the hated bbc, is it?

1 hour ago, Neil said:

1 hour ago, Neil said:

and then secondary to that, via how easy they make it for someone to get the cash to buy a house, via lending rules, and interest rates.

Availability of credit is a bigger factor than supply. That is the responsibility of the bank of england

16 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Availability of credit is a bigger factor than supply. That is the responsibility of the bank of england

its not boe role to control the housing market even tho it does that via the availability of credit. its failure of govt policy, or lack of govt policy.