news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Do you honestly believe your life is going to be noticeably different under a Labour government?

mine will be i'll be less embarrassed by the country i live in.

3 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Its a good question...

I still don't know what Starmer or the current breed of Labour stands for.  I keep saying it but their gains are all down to the Tories eating themsleves rather than anything Labour has announced.  Reminds me of Biden winning in the USA just because he wasn't Trump - and I don't think its really done much for the USA or the average American.

I think where we are at though is it couldn't be much worse letting Labour in.  This country is in a serious nose dive - before the budget announcement and I have no faith Liz will turn it around. 

We might as well roll the dice as it stands on Starmer - but I have no real idea what that means.  Labour haven't had a really clear vision since New Labour became a thing.

Being carbon neutral by 2030 is the big question - how realistic is this while maintaining living standards even close to what people are used to here? Probably not at all. 

They need honesty about what it means - it's necessary to do that, but there has to be significantly less energy usage full stop, probably enforced by higher prices. And yes, suffering comes within that. the only way to not be kicked out at the first sign of suffering is to convince people this is necessary before you get elected, and get them to vote for it.

Or you just pretend you can sort it with wind or solar while keeping living standards exactly as they are. Vote winner but so unrealistic. That's more likely to be the strategy, but I'm not sure it leads to long term government. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Its a good question...

I still don't know what Starmer or the current breed of Labour stands for.  I keep saying it but their gains are all down to the Tories eating themsleves rather than anything Labour has announced.  Reminds me of Biden winning in the USA just because he wasn't Trump - and I don't think its really done much for the USA or the average American.

I think where we are at though is it couldn't be much worse letting Labour in.  This country is in a serious nose dive - before the budget announcement and I have no faith Liz will turn it around. 

We might as well roll the dice as it stands on Starmer - but I have no real idea what that means.  Labour haven't had a really clear vision since New Labour became a thing.

You keep saying this.

But you've been giving polling evidence that's it's not just an anti tory vote but voters feeling Labour and starmer are someone to vote FOR

You do know just Because U have a subjective feeling against Labour doesn't REALLY mean anything?

Edited by zahidf

4 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Being carbon neutral by 2030 is the big question - how realistic is this while maintaining living standards even close to what people are used to here? Probably not at all. 

They need honesty about what it means - it's necessary to do that, but there has to be significantly less energy usage full stop, probably enforced by higher prices. And yes, suffering comes within that. the only way to not be kicked out at the first sign of suffering is to convince people this is necessary before you get elected, and get them to vote for it.

Or you just pretend you can sort it with wind or solar while keeping living standards exactly as they are. Vote winner but so unrealistic. That's more likely to be the strategy, but I'm not sure it leads to long term government. 

Now is the time to try and get people to use less energy, like they are doing elsewhere in europe. It's why the cap freeze is flawed, a good way to get people to use less is higher bills. Obviously many households would need help through with heating through the welfare system, and maybe that is too complicated to sort out this quickly, but going forward we need incentives to use less energy, and cost is one of them.

Then going foward we need as much energy as possible coming from renewables, along side nuclear, and yes there will still be fossil fuels being used. So, need loads of solar and wind, need to replace people's gas boilers with something else, need to properly insulate buildings. All very expensive, all very difficult, but all very possible.

5 hours ago, zahidf said:

You keep saying this.

But you've been giving polling evidence that's it's not just an anti tory vote but voters feeling Labour and starmer are someone to vote FOR

You do know just Because U have a subjective feeling against Labour doesn't REALLY mean anything?

As you say there’s been evidence shown that it’s because of the Tories and Labour picking up support.

Starmer and Labour have done a really good job especially in recent weeks by airing a few of their really good policies such as carbon free electricity and nationalising the rail (to name 2). Which has built on the work done previously to detoxify the Labour brand in the eyes of the public.

As seen in the recent YouGov poll Labour were taking support off the Lib Dem’s which shows that it isn’t just because of the Tories being awful. 

32 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s the 26% of don’t knows that’s going to mess us up. 

They’re the deluded waiting for Spaffer to ride back in on his donkey to “save” the day. 

The Opinium guy says that the Tories need to get some of the Lab switchers back.