news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 minutes ago, lost said:

The "most" is woolly for me. Simply because money will flow into the assets that are not taxed.

t does also sat "or all"

also asks whether an annual tax or a one-off. Another important part of the idea

1 minute ago, Neil said:

t does also sat "or all"

Its impossible to tax all as I said you can't value everything all the time and even if you could there are crypto currencies out there with encrypted block chains meaning nobodies got a clue how much you've got.

Edited by lost

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

no, you can get it valued at current market rate? they do that now?

I get that it isn't simple, but it is not impossible...

current market rate is achieved by selling it!! if  the asset can't get that price then its not wealth of the value you want to tax it at.

if its not decided by selling it a man has to come round to value everything every person has, if they over-value that person gets forced to pay tax which isn't due from  them!!!

a wealth tax is hugely impractical. just about impossible to operate.

3 minutes ago, lost said:

Its impossible to tax all as I said you can't value everything all the time and even if you could there are crypto currencies out there with encrypted block chains meaning nobodies got a clue how much you've got.

i can see the difficulties in operating a wealth tax. it would work best with an honest society and self disclosure [self disclosure doesn't work for taxes]).

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

current market rate is achieved by selling it!! if  the asset can't get that price then its not wealth of the value you want to tax it at.

if its not decided by selling it a man has to come round to value everything every person has, if they over-value that person gets forced to pay tax which isn't due from  them!!!

a wealth tax is hugely impractical. just about impossible to operate.

you can get a property valued without selling it, right?

You'd also get a "selling season" in the stock market when the big company bods had to sell off aload of stock to pay their tax bill. In turn then you'd get hedge funds who knew what time of year a companies stock was about to fall and act accordingly just beforehand putting on massive shorts.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

you can get a property valued without selling it, right?

a valuation is not its value. if its over-valued wrongly then that's not wealth that tax is due on! 

its value is decided by what someone is willing to pay for it!(

people complain about wrong council tax valuations, the old rating system was scrapped cos they couldn't keep up with valuations (so lots of peeps felt they were paying the wrong amount).

Just now, Neil said:

a valuation is not its value. if its over-valued wrongly then that's not wealth that tax is due on! 

its value is decided by what someone is willing to pay for it!(

people complain about wrong council tax valuations, the old rating system was scrapped cos they couldn't keep up with valuations (so lots of peeps felt they were paying the wrong amount).

well...however it is valued...

Anyway, not sure how it work if you keep the property...but if someone has made a mint after a selling a home they didn't even buy, that should be taxed. That wealth increase should be distributed, not just go to the lucky people who get to inherit it. 

24 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean, I don't know...I think people did moan when govt delayed the clean energy thing to 2035, but no one expects Tories to be in government much longer, so now attention is turning to Labour, and their key pledge on this has changed. Maybe outcome is same and this is all just political, quite possibly is, but their messaging has definitely changed, and it is understandable that people think it is being deprioritised.

I just don’t think that’s the case, in fact last week when the bankers bonus stuff came up. I went back to Oct 2023 to see how many people said something when the cap was removed, I posted the story and only you commented on it. Yet last week some people here were up in arms about it when Labour said they weren’t going to reverse it just not angry when the cap was removed. It was the same with the green policies and highlights the problem Labour faces, they get held to higher standards than other parties. 

The messaging has only changed from Labour now into how much can be spent on the policy at the start of their term everything else remains the same and that’s because the Tories trashed the economy. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

.but if someone has made a mint after a selling a home

thats a different thing of taxing capital gains on house profits(its not a capital gain till sold so tax  would have to be due at the point of sale not by valuation)

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

thats a different thing of taxing capital gains on house profits(its not a capital gain till sold so tax  would have to be due at the point of sale not by valuation)

ok..well...yes....so if keep property and value goes up you pay some tax on that...but if you inherit property and other assets, and those total assets are worth something big, tax the f**k out of it, tax it hard, tax it real good.

36 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I just don’t think that’s the case, in fact last week when the bankers bonus stuff came up. I went back to Oct 2023 to see how many people said something when the cap was removed, I posted the story and only you commented on it. Yet last week some people here were up in arms about it when Labour said they weren’t going to reverse it just not angry when the cap was removed. It was the same with the green policies and highlights the problem Labour faces, they get held to higher standards than other parties. 

The messaging has only changed from Labour now into how much can be spent on the policy at the start of their term everything else remains the same and that’s because the Tories trashed the economy. 

Labour are held to a different standard because they are the party in opposition aspiring to be the party in charge. When your pitch to be elected is essentially boiling down to 'we are not the Tories' because the progressive, differential policies once proposed keep getting scrapped, they are going to get criticised as they are not offering an alternative to one of the worst governments of our time.

I have not visited this thread for a few months and in that time, Labour have reneged on the green pledge, the bankers bonuses cap, policies regarding trans rights and the nationalisation of water/rail. It is so uninspiring and makes it harder to convince people that politicians are not all the same when Labour are so scared of criticism from right wing voters and press. If you are being criticised by the Daily Mail for your policies, chances are you are doing something right.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

they are going to get criticised as they are not offering an alternative to one of the worst governments of our time.

And this is just it

They really aren't

Edited by Skip997

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Admittedly I don't pay as much attention as I used to, but what are the differences between the current Labour and Tory parties?

They seem very close to me.

Theres plenty:

Green policies - GB Energy, clean energy by 2030, stopping new oil/gas licenses, warm homes plan, clean air act.

New deal for workers rights

Renationalise railway 

End non-dom tax status

End charitable status for private schools

Equal pay for BAME workers

Mental health focus, see someone within a month

Ambitious targets for sewage discharge to water firms and punishments for exceeding.

This is just naming a few, there are many more.

10 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Labour are held to a different standard because they are the party in opposition aspiring to be the party in charge. When your pitch to be elected is essentially boiling down to 'we are not the Tories' because the progressive, differential policies once proposed keep getting scrapped, they are going to get criticised as they are not offering an alternative to one of the worst governments of our time.

I have not visited this thread for a few months and in that time, Labour have reneged on the green pledge, the bankers bonuses cap, policies regarding trans rights and the nationalisation of water/rail. It is so uninspiring and makes it harder to convince people that politicians are not all the same when Labour are so scared of criticism from right wing voters and press. If you are being criticised by the Daily Mail for your policies, chances are you are doing something right.

Labour do offer an alternative, it might not be one you like but they do offer one. To claim otherwise is either a lazy take or an obtuse one.