news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, lost said:

I can't really see any equivlent comparision. The issue here is the Dome of the Rock where apparently Mohammed asended to heaven is built on top of the holiest site in Judaesium. Thats the reason there is no solution.

You have two sides who believe if they die defending that bit of land they will get a reward in the afterlife from their God.

Even if by some miracle they could negotiate a peace deal with Hamas then a theocracy like Iran would simily start funding a different group who were willing to fight a holy war against Israel.

If the world was getting less religous we may get a solution but as far as I can see its getting more religious

it isn't just religious.

Plus, Putin has his own version of history in regarding Ukraine, and Xi with Taiwan. 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

depends if intentional

Well, by targetting civilian areas (and I know the reasons why), they must know that a significant number of women and babies would be injured or die. As far as I can tell from the footage coming out of Gaza, no attempt has been made to limit the bombing in these areas so you could argue it is intentional and that it's purpose is to make those areas uninhabitable for years to come and to punish ordinary civilians. 

I fully support Israel's right to defend itself but they must know they will never defeat Hamas even if they drive them out of Gaza completely. I would imagine there's a ready supply of new recruits waiting to join the ranks. 

6 hours ago, lost said:

I can't really see any equivlent comparision. The issue here is the Dome of the Rock where apparently Mohammed asended to heaven is built on top of the holiest site in Judaesium. Thats the reason there is no solution.

You have two sides who believe if they die defending that bit of land they will get a reward in the afterlife from their God.

Even if by some miracle they could negotiate a peace deal with Hamas then a theocracy like Iran would simily start funding a different group who were willing to fight a holy war against Israel.

If the world was getting less religous we may get a solution but as far as I can see its getting more religious

You have to wonder what was so special about that rocky hill that two separate groups of people invented religions as the reason why they should have it instead of the other guys. 

Millennia ago it was a strategic bit of land which gave people a better view over the access to the sea. 

Now we’re still stuck dealing with the fallout of the stories those people made up as the reason why they deserved control over that particular lump of rock. 

It’s an absolute pointless reason for so much death over the centuries when you think about it. 

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

You have to wonder what was so special about that rocky hill that two separate groups of people invented religions as the reason why they should have it instead of the other guys. 

Millennia ago it was a strategic bit of land which gave people a better view over the access to the sea. 

Now we’re still stuck dealing with the fallout of the stories those people made up as the reason why they deserved control over that particular lump of rock. 

It’s an absolute pointless reason for so much death over the centuries when you think about it. 

or being Jewish isn't a religion, it's a race. Same as being Arab.

40 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

But this is the thing...  The Palestinians make choices.  And choice have consequences.  As a body of people they have been making bad choices for a long time.  If they want to keep attacking Isreal (for whatever reason) they shouldn't be surprised with the outcome.

They should be hating Hamas as much as anyone by this point.  They brought this on them.

seriously just f**k off, and when you get there f**k off some more.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Sometimes things need to be said. I guess I will be kicked off here or whatever, but the bloke is such a toxic repellent little tool not sure I can be arsed with it anyway..

Try not to respond mate, he only posts like that because he wants the response.

Apparently there's around 35 letters gone in to the 1922. Not long till another leadership election. Can't work out if we'll get the election first. Can't see how a change of leader changes the outcome of the election. So election first I reckon.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

He should just call the election and go for broke.

in the end i think thats what he'll do its the only way he has any control/influence on events.

Edited by Neil

14 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Sometimes things need to be said. I guess I will be kicked off here or whatever, but the bloke is such a toxic repellent little tool not sure I can be arsed with it anyway..

Wind your neck in, you're not the moral crusader you think you are. Easy enough to just ignore someone, but instead you have to respond like a child. Hope you do get warned/blocked for a while, you clearly need a break from this place.

Was only two months ago you had pretty much the same stance as Barry anyway, so not sure why you're so opposed now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

This still stand ? @Crazyfool01

I have reported comments and they are still there.

As a rule, personal attacks against other posters are not allowed and will be deleted. Generally, the only thread in which this rule is enforced is this one.

This thread is nearly three years old, and the dynamic between regular posters is well established.

It’s a thread in which you persist in posting in a deliberately provocative way, often knowingly and deliberately winding up others. While that’s not against any existing rules, posting in that manner will obviously result in certain reactions. As mods, we keep that context in mind.

You posted that Palestinians brought the suffering they’re experiencing “on themselves”. You’re entitled to your opinion of course, but it will be of no surprise to you that it was met with an angry response.

The response was not a personal attack but an expression of anger at your position by somebody you've admitted in the past you enjoy winding up. In keeping your original post up, we also decided not to remove any reaction it caused, although we would have removed any attack levelled against you personally.

If you would like to stop reporting the number of posts you have in recent weeks, it would help if you could post in a less inflammatory manner and if not, accept that some people will disagree and do so in no uncertain terms.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, kalifire said:

As a rule, personal attacks against other posters are not allowed and will be deleted. Generally, the only thread in which this rule is enforced is this one.

This thread is nearly three years old, and the dynamic between regular posters is well established.

It’s a thread in which you persist in posting in a deliberately provocative way, often knowingly and deliberately winding up others. While that’s not against any existing rules, posting in that manner will obviously result in certain reactions. As mods, we keep that context in mind.

You posted that Palestinians brought the suffering they’re experiencing “on themselves”. You’re entitled to your opinion of course, but it will be of no surprise to you that it was met with an angry response.

The response was not a personal attack but an expression of anger at your position by somebody you've admitted in the past you enjoy winding up. In keeping your original post up, we also decided not to remove any reaction it caused, although we would have removed any attack levelled against you personally.

If you would like to stop reporting the number of posts you have in recent weeks, it would help if you could post in a less inflammatory manner and if not, accept that some people will disagree and do so in no uncertain terms.

Weren't the mod team putting together new rules, do you know if this has happened yet?