news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just as we are losing HS2 we gain the Bee Network in Greater Manchester bringing many buses back under public ownership 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/a-new-era-in-public-27750579

I must admit I am a great fan of the TfGM and love the Metrolink. They were the first to introduce the £2 flat fare on buses and intend to keep it until this time next year. I have to laugh as the DWP have just offered me free driving lessons. Apparently driving myself will help with my anxiety about travelling. Just what the roads need, a big fat man having a panic attack behind the wheel 😉

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Just as we are losing HS2 we gain the Bee Network in Greater Manchester bringing many buses back under public ownership 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/a-new-era-in-public-27750579

I must admit I am a great fan of the TfGM and love the Metrolink. They were the first to introduce the £2 flat fare on buses and intend to keep it until this time next year. I have to laugh as the DWP have just offered me free driving lessons. Apparently driving myself will help with my anxiety about travelling. Just what the roads need, a big fat man having a panic attack behind the wheel 😉

Don't particularly want that sitting next to me on the tram either tbh.

57 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

im not sure if there's anything you can do separately to that to reduce the anxiety , but the driving lessons free seems a great opportunity , they are so expensive these days , not sure how kids afford them tbh 

Edited by Crazyfool01

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Yes I did but you also said tax cuts can swing polls by 5%. I'm saying that just because it happened before doesn't mean it will happen this time round. 

Yes I did say that and history over several elections proves that to be the case - but you chose to take that one bit ignoring the rest and said I had said tax cuts on their own...................... it might seem 'petty' to you but over the years those who read or just pick one part of the whole to try and make some point is getting more and worse.............

Of course nothing that has happened means it will happen again but statistics show the likelyhood of it happening again to be high and thus the Tories will try it as a part of their 'jigsaw of con'.

and if they are 10 points behind and if they get a 5% swing then anyone can win. They know that and it is why words like 'at present' are used when Hunt talks about tax cuts................... we all know they are going to be announced sooner or later.

Anyway, I look at all things said so I can try and see the clever words used hence seeing the use of 'at present'.....

and the words on HS2 that refer to a review............. so they will pause it with a review in 2025 or 2026 thus making it Labour's problem or if the Tories win, then cancelling it. Their wording is subtle and clever and thus best to read everything in front of you or you miss the point and get caught out.

16 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Yes I did say that and history over several elections proves that to be the case - but you chose to take that one bit ignoring the rest and said I had said tax cuts on their own...................... it might seem 'petty' to you but over the years those who read or just pick one part of the whole to try and make some point is getting more and worse.............

Of course nothing that has happened means it will happen again but statistics show the likelyhood of it happening again to be high and thus the Tories will try it as a part of their 'jigsaw of con'.

and if they are 10 points behind and if they get a 5% swing then anyone can win. They know that and it is why words like 'at present' are used when Hunt talks about tax cuts................... we all know they are going to be announced sooner or later.

Anyway, I look at all things said so I can try and see the clever words used hence seeing the use of 'at present'.....

and the words on HS2 that refer to a review............. so they will pause it with a review in 2025 or 2026 thus making it Labour's problem or if the Tories win, then cancelling it. Their wording is subtle and clever and thus best to read everything in front of you or you miss the point and get caught out.

I don’t think anyone has said that’s petty so I’m not sure where you’ve got that from.

They probably will announce tax cuts but I disagree that on this occasion they will move the polls by 5% which is what you said originally. 

Tax cuts as part of an overall package will move the polls then maybe they will but they’ll have to overcome the fact that they are a deeply unpopular government with a deeply unpopular leader and the country is a mess so I have doubts whether that will even be enough.

The Tories aren’t as clever as you’re making them out to be, they are just throwing ideas at the wall and hoping some stick. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t think anyone has said that’s petty so I’m not sure where you’ve got that from.

They probably will announce tax cuts but I disagree that on this occasion they will move the polls by 5% which is what you said originally. 

Tax cuts as part of an overall package will move the polls then maybe they will but they’ll have to overcome the fact that they are a deeply unpopular government with a deeply unpopular leader and the country is a mess so I have doubts whether that will even be enough.

The Tories aren’t as clever as you’re making them out to be, they are just throwing ideas at the wall and hoping some stick. 

Yeah...I think people want change...which is why Sunak used the word change over and over in that speech the other day....

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I disagree that on this occasion they will move the polls by 5% which is what you said originally. 

To save you looking back what I actually said originally was:
"can swing opinion by 5% (previous elections have shown that quite often)."

I never said WILL and I never said that was all they would do - both of which you have written that I have. I said CAN and it would be part of other things.

I accept of opinions differ but please do read what I actually type rather than changing a word to mean the context is different.

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I never said WILL and I never said that was all they would do - both of which you have written that I have. I said CAN and it would be part of other things.

I accept of opinions differ but please do read what I actually type rather than changing a word to mean the context is different.

So hold on,you want the Tories to win?

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So hold on,you want the Tories to win?

How the f**k do you get that from what I wrote - or are you just taking the piss for the sake of it?

Either way.....................

I'm off to talk to some real people who actually take notice of what is being said.

Enjoy your evenings.

9 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

How the f**k do you get that from what I wrote - or are you just taking the piss for the sake of it?

Either way.....................

I'm off to talk to some real people who actually take notice of what is being said.

Enjoy your evenings.

Just now, steviewevie said:

So you do then..?

Behave 😉

29 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I literally quoted what you said, so I am aware of what you wrote. I just disagree with your initial point.

having a quick catchup as ive been busy but Victoria Derbyshire seems like such a better person to be doing the politics show on a Sunday ... actually holding all politicians to account although the panel seemed very one sided and what the hell is Boris sister appearing on these shows for ? 

5 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

im not sure if there's anything you can do separately to that to reduce the anxiety , but the driving lessons free seems a great opportunity , they are so expensive these days , not sure how kids afford them tbh 

Learning to drive would go against all my principles about car ownership. I am quite militant in my views and I want to see less cars on the road. This isn't from an environmental viewpoint but one of our society reclaiming our space. I have the same view even if we all go EV or green fuel.

Edited by Rufus Gwertigan

3 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Learning to drive would go against all my principles about car ownership. I am quite militant in my views and I want to see less cars on the road. This isn't from an environmental viewpoint but one of our society reclaiming our space. I have the same view even if we all go EV or green fuel.

ah yep fair enough 🙂