18-21 year olds survey help

morph100

24 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Not Glasto related but if you are or know any 18-21 year olds who can help with a survey on procrastination, I will love you forever 

https://dmupsy.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bxVsvkWDd2lnWoB

Can we leave it until next week?

Hello morph100,

Despite being way off the scale in terms of the age requirements, I still clicked on the link, but only to access the first page. Having read the first three separate paragraphs / sections, I thought it prudent to point somethings out. I hope that you find these well intentioned observations, just that ie well intentioned.

You say the following;

I am conducting a study looking at the relationship between procrastination and well-being in terms of perceived stress with relation to the role of deadline urgency.

Then you say;

For this study, we are looking for participants who are between the ages of 18-21 and currently in education. The reason for this is because age can have an effect on levels of procrastination and therefore a wider range of ages would provide invalid data that is not specific to the target audience of this research.  

However, the two don't seem to 'tie up' in my view (which could possibly be skewed by insanity - who knows!?). To my minds eye, I see the following;

(1) I don't see how the first statement can stand up on its own without you mentioning at that point that you are going to limit the age group which this survey is aimed at.

(2) You say in the second statement that the 'reason for this is because age.......'  etc etc. Personally I would doubt that procrastination necessarily differs with age. Maybe there is empirical evidence of this, but I've certainly not witnessed it in my life or in that of others (and I am older than an old thing!). 

The last part of the second statement says that ' therefore a wider range of ages would provide invalid data that is not specific to the target audience of this research'. Well, this ties in with my point No (1), in which case you should state at the start that you are limiting the target audience - even though I don't 'get' the reasons for why you are limiting it. The only thing I can think of is that you mean that 'deadline urgency' refers to college / university deadlines. If this is the case then you should really say so. Of course that then leads to the acceptance that you are deliberately causing fault within your own survey approach, as you are discriminating against mature students who might be sitting alongside the very same 18 - 21 year olds that you mention.

Does any of that help? Or, should I go and get help myself!?

37 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello morph100,

Despite being way off the scale in terms of the age requirements, I still clicked on the link, but only to access the first page. Having read the first three separate paragraphs / sections, I thought it prudent to point somethings out. I hope that you find these well intentioned observations, just that ie well intentioned.

You say the following;

I am conducting a study looking at the relationship between procrastination and well-being in terms of perceived stress with relation to the role of deadline urgency.

Then you say;

For this study, we are looking for participants who are between the ages of 18-21 and currently in education. The reason for this is because age can have an effect on levels of procrastination and therefore a wider range of ages would provide invalid data that is not specific to the target audience of this research.  

However, the two don't seem to 'tie up' in my view (which could possibly be skewed by insanity - who knows!?). To my minds eye, I see the following;

(1) I don't see how the first statement can stand up on its own without you mentioning at that point that you are going to limit the age group which this survey is aimed at.

(2) You say in the second statement that the 'reason for this is because age.......'  etc etc. Personally I would doubt that procrastination necessarily differs with age. Maybe there is empirical evidence of this, but I've certainly not witnessed it in my life or in that of others (and I am older than an old thing!). 

The last part of the second statement says that ' therefore a wider range of ages would provide invalid data that is not specific to the target audience of this research'. Well, this ties in with my point No (1), in which case you should state at the start that you are limiting the target audience - even though I don't 'get' the reasons for why you are limiting it. The only thing I can think of is that you mean that 'deadline urgency' refers to college / university deadlines. If this is the case then you should really say so. Of course that then leads to the acceptance that you are deliberately causing fault within your own survey approach, as you are discriminating against mature students who might be sitting alongside the very same 18 - 21 year olds that you mention.

Does any of that help? Or, should I go and get help myself!?

I haven’t even read it myself it’s my step sons, I am too far too old for such things. You have however made me feel bad for only try to drum up responses without actually reading it 🙂 

5 hours ago, morph100 said:

I haven’t even read it myself it’s my step sons, I am too far too old for such things. You have however made me feel bad for only try to drum up responses without actually reading it 🙂 

I'm afraid that I only read the first three paragraphs on the first page, and thought that there was enough to chew on within that. I'd say that it's worth you and your stepson scrutinising the whole thing, as there's no point in him unnecessarily falling at the first hurdle.

Ageistum.. Which is not a word so I didn't known how to spell it and obviously our old age opinions don't count anyway.. 

So I've no idea what your yakking on about but I thought I'd just chuck a bit of a bollox in here lol