Formula 1

DareToDibble

19 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I do think what he suggested wasn't a bad idea. 

The Race on YouTube did a video exploring it and came to the conclusion it was not really as practical as it appears. It's a nice idea in theory but I'm not sure about how it would work as an actual concept.

I think Hamilton tbf was thinking out loud rather than saying he had a definitive answer as to how it would work.

On 7/6/2023 at 8:28 AM, DareToDibble said:

I do wonder about Max. He says he's not that bothered by records etc but I find it hard to believe if he's on, say, 5 or 6 titles by 2028, that he wouldn't want to stay on to match/break the record. Maybe he truly doesn't care but it would be odd for a F1 driver not to.

I did see him say something about 2026 regs being horrible and something like he would be quicker going down 1 gear at the end of the straight at Monza under the 50% ICE/50% battery regs. Find that hard to believe but who knows.

Hopefully the British GP might be a bit more entertaining but I'm not holding my breath.

Well, Max was clear of everyone else in FP1, so that wasn't an ideal start. Williams being P3 in FP1 and both cars in the top 5 in FP2 is quite something, so I'd be intrigued to see if they can stick the landing, although there's high chances of a wet qualy tomorrow so that would certainly make it a different challenge.

Verstappen has come across as someone for whom the main interest is just in winning, but he also is talking more openly about wanting to try other challenges than just F1 like Le Mans and WEC racing, maybe even a crack at the Indy 500 if the right offer gets him on board, and given he's been in F1 since he was 17, I think it isn't necessarily out of the question he might leave at a young age on paper but one that matches a 10+ year career seen by the likes of Vettel or Raikkonen when they decided to bail.

It's an interesting one tbf. I still believe there will be one, maybe two, races this year where Red Bull won't win. However, this is the best chance we're going to get to see that 100% immortality. Monaco was a big one spurned by everyone else with first Verstappen's possibly best ever qualifying and then by Aston Martin's failure to read the conditions when the rain arrived. On pure pace, Singapore might be the only other one it's possible barring DNFs.

20 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Don't think I agree.  I haven't seen the video but we enforce other such restrictions like the mid season shut down.

I think part of the issue is Hamilton being a flawed messenger given that in 2014-20, Mercedes were way ahead of everyone else for most of it (except maybe the first half of the 2017 and 2018 seasons), which is what most of the comments respond with. That standard thing with anything though about arguing with the messenger than the message.

Video is this one.

Merc do still need to do work tbf. It looked with the double podium in Spain and podium for Lewis in Canada that they'd got things in order but qualy today was fairly unremarkable and got worse as the circuit got drier. McLaren having 2nd and 3rd to the all conquering beast that is Max is a brilliant achievement. Checo getting knocked out in Q1 again is also an impressive achievement, but not quite in the same way.

An interesting race that. Imo last year's was more fun and chaotic, but there was an interesting dynamic.

McLaren seem to have gone from having the outright slowest car at Bahrain to now having one that's in the mix with the 3 teams immediately behind Red Bull, which is impressive, Aston Martin seem to have stalled, Alpine are probably about to earn another bollocking from Laurent Rossi from underperforming, and Ferrari's strategy is still as unreliable as ever.

It is fascinating to think where we'd be if Red Bull were about 10% less good, given it seems to be quite open immediately behind them.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

How many seconds is Max winning by this weekend then?

It would be good to see McLaren being competitive again but we've seen a few of these false dawns over the last few years.

Well we're due a race where Max doesn't win or get on the podium aren't we?

My instinct remains that Red Bull won't win 23/23 races, though that's mainly banking on a mechanical DNF for Max than anything else. Hell, Mercedes failed to do 100% in 2014-16 when they had a car that was a second a lap faster than everything else and a Hamilton-Rosberg partnership where one of them would often win when the other had problems.

The fight behind is still interesting tbf - McLaren think Hungaroring won't suit them as well as Austria and Silverstone, which imo means we could be good for a McLaren podium at Spa or Monza in upcoming rounds. Aston Martin, by contrast, think they could be in a better position this time after a few iffy rounds.

On 7/12/2023 at 9:42 AM, Barry Fish said:

We would potentially be having a huge bun fight for the title.  Its a shame really...

Daily I still see people lording the Max and Lewis thing.  Oh Max is king and Lewis is rubbish blah blah blah.  No Max is dirty and lucky - its just the car blah blah blah.  Clearly both rubbish statements.  At time I wish F1 fans would concentrate on the fact how awesome it was to see them two actually fighting each other in competitive cars.  The last two seasons have been dire really.

I support and follow the Brit drivers so I am always going to be a bit biased but at least during Hamiltons dominate phase he had the like of Roseberg giving him a fight.  Even Bottas at times pushed him.  Pérez is just lost at sea at the moment and its really bad for the show.  As much as its great to see Daniel back on the grid the whole of F1 want him in the Red Bull.  Not going to happen though is it.  But I know Daniel would push Max.  Beat him, maybe not now, but at least we would see some fights and Max being held to account  😞 

I don't hold up much hope of Silverstone being the norm and the other cars getting closer.  Max maintained a comfortable gap and had more if he needed it and Mclaren for example is only quick on high speed circuits.

I actually think the first half of last year was quite good - not 2021 good but a few races were very watchable - only for Ferrari to repeated shooting themselves in the foot and then their car being weakened by the response to a mid-season anti-porpoising technical directive took the fun out of it. Mercedes last year getting the assignment wrong also didn't help.

This year's been more of a challenge. Seems as though changing the regulations to allow more downforce and faster cars has brought back the characteristics and dirty air that made overtaking more difficult in 2017-21. Plus obviously one team nailing the rules and the next few all getting it wrong in subtly different ways makes for a bit more of a procession.

Perez has been a disappointment too, yes. After winning in Saudi and Azerbaijan it looked like he might be on for a decent challenge, then he's gone hard backwards with his remarkable streak of Q1/Q2 exits. I think he has to do more to lose his seat for 2024, mind, although given he had a contract at Aston Martin for 2021 that was duly shredded when Vettel became available and given how eager the Red Bull group were to bin De Vries, you can never say never.

On 7/19/2023 at 12:15 PM, DareToDibble said:

How many seconds is Max winning by this weekend then?

It would be good to see McLaren being competitive again but we've seen a few of these false dawns over the last few years.

Well... a Hamilton pole for the first time in a year and a half might make it not a forgone conclusion. Particularly given even numbered grid slots at the Hungarian track tend to make for slower starts and Norris beat Verstappen off the line pretty comfortably at Silverstone a week ago.

Whether it translates into any other result than a 6th Verstappen win in a row is another matter ofc. To be truthful I thought the likeliest barrier to a Max win would be a mechanical problem leading to DNF or reduced pace.

6 hours ago, charlierc said:

Well... a Hamilton pole for the first time in a year and a half might make it not a forgone conclusion. Particularly given even numbered grid slots at the Hungarian track tend to make for slower starts and Norris beat Verstappen off the line pretty comfortably at Silverstone a week ago.

Whether it translates into any other result than a 6th Verstappen win in a row is another matter ofc. To be truthful I thought the likeliest barrier to a Max win would be a mechanical problem leading to DNF or reduced pace.

It's funny because during the Mercedes dominant years I was willing someone to beat Hamilton (support of the underdog I guess) but today I cheered out loud in the pub when her got pole. He's out performing that car massively, as shown by George, although it seems he was hindered by traffic.

McLaren being that high is great, don't think anyone expected them to be that high on this track. Is this actual proper progress for them for the first time in ages? Would love them to do this consistently. 

16 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

It's funny because during the Mercedes dominant years I was willing someone to beat Hamilton (support of the underdog I guess) but today I cheered out loud in the pub when her got pole. He's out performing that car massively, as shown by George, although it seems he was hindered by traffic.

McLaren being that high is great, don't think anyone expected them to be that high on this track. Is this actual proper progress for them for the first time in ages? Would love them to do this consistently. 

I think Hamilton very much outperformed the car yesterday given he finished yonks behind another Verstappen win. Clearly, the Red Bull package is beatable over one lap but controlling it over a full race distance is a challenge and given Max was over 30 seconds free of the rest, there's work for everyone else to do. Plus it's likely most of the chasing pack is going to imminently sack off these cars to try again with the 2024 packages, so... it is what it is I guess.

McLaren getting Norris 2 podiums in a row is great. Shame Piastri's bright start couldn't last. It looks like they're secure in the top 5 given Alpine have started to collapse, while Aston Martin and Ferrari now seem vulnerable to a McLaren resurgence as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw earlier that the earliest someone has won the title was 6 races from the end of the season (Schumacher). I've read that it was a bit easier then due to the % points difference between 1st and 2nd back then which makes it a little more difficult but I wonder if Max might do it this year. He's already 125 clear and doesn't look like slowing down any time soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought Zandvoort was best race of 2023 so far. First lap was great fun where the shower on lap one totally threw everyone's strategy out of the window, Verstappen winning did feel in jeopardy (or at least was for 2/3 laps before Red Bull threw Perez under the bus again, although Alonso did have a better restart after the red flag) and plenty of battles on a track that didn't have an amazing amount of overtakes in its 2021/22 return.

Maybe Monza will go back to business as usual.

I absolutely love Monza so hope it's an entertaining race.

Red Bull giving Max the undercut on Checo says it all really, second driver will always be just that. In reality Max would likely have won fairly easily anyway so I guess it doesn't really matter but I'd still be a bit pissed off if I was Checo.

3 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I absolutely love Monza so hope it's an entertaining race.

Red Bull giving Max the undercut on Checo says it all really, second driver will always be just that. In reality Max would likely have won fairly easily anyway so I guess it doesn't really matter but I'd still be a bit pissed off if I was Checo.

I do kinda get Horner's logic in saying Max was at risk of an undercut by Gasly and Alonso, who pit one lap before he did, and the two being just faster on dry tyres than inters in that moment. At the same time, Checo is just in this position given his form since crashing out in Monaco qualifying has been below par. Either Max is outdriving that Red Bull or Checo, like Gasly and Albon had in 2019/20, just isn't able to live with a set-up entirely done around Max's driving style.

Much as I'm aware the narrative of Ricciardo swooping in to nick the seat for 2024 might have to be put on ice after his injury sustained in Zandvoort FP2. Might make life interesting for what they do with those Alpha Tauri seats for 2023 if Liam Lawson does well in the role as a stand-in, maybe also if he wins the Japanese Super Formula title.

25 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Racing into his 40s, which I get the feeling nobody would've expected back in 2007 when he made his debut.

Saying that I doubt anyone expected Alonso to still be going 20 years on from his first F1 wins in 2003. But here we are.

interesting he's signed again .. I hope that means he thinks he's still got some hope of winning stuff 

Good fun tbf. Verstappen ultimately deserves the record, and mercifully had to do a bit of work this time as compared to some races, Perez had some good battles for P2, the two Ferraris really fought one another hard but right result of Sainz ahead after probably his best Ferrari wekeend, and they were both valid penalties for the Mercs imo. No idea why Russell is racing that hard to battle Ocon who was not in his race, while that Hamilton-Piastri collision could've been way worse.

Singapore will be interesting. If only to see if they get another thunderstorm making the track an ice rink like they did last year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 8:57 PM, Barry Fish said:

Won't his contract expire the year before ?   Clearly keeping his options open.

I would love for him to finish at Ferrari.   

Bit behind on this but 100% agree, it would be incredible to see. He's done it all, shame he (so far) hasn't got the 8th title but seeing Lewis in a Ferrari would be unreal. Imagine a 1 year deal with them for 2026 when they nail the new regulations and he gets his 8th before retiring.

Sign me up.

Yo F1 dorks - why is hamilton so sh*t if he’s supposedly the goat?

Absolute farce of a ’sport’ - why do you need a whole year of dishwater dull brum brum car races to tell you who has the faster motor? Surely its basically known before the season starts every year? So tedious!

And thats not to talk of the emissions..

Worst thing going, give it up!

• Upvote 1