Pukkelpop 2018

DDave

1 hour ago, Powl said:

Hi,

I've been looking to this board for quite some years now to get the latest info considering some fests,but never made an account. Looks like today is the day I registered to join the discussion :)

Belgium based and I will be going to PKP this year for a 4th consecutive year. 

Yesterday Eppo said there will be names VERY soon on Studio Brussels so I imagine it's on next week. 

This morning Lokerse Feesten announced Kasabian, Manic Street Preachers, 2manydjs live and Deus. I guess they can all be ruled out except 2manydjs

Ah fucks sake. Kasabian not at Pukkelpop yet again. It's popular not to like em but I love em.

Welcome to the forum :-)

2 hours ago, Powl said:

Yesterday Eppo said there will be names VERY soon on Studio Brussels so I imagine it's on next week.

Welcome on the forum!

I heard this interview yesterday btw and he mentioned liking Soccer Mommy at SXSW. Also some other act which I didn't know so I don't remember.

17 minutes ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

Welcome on the forum!

I heard this interview yesterday btw and he mentioned liking Soccer Mommy at SXSW. Also some other act which I didn't know so I don't remember.

Wow Soccer Mommy would be exactly the kind of act that i like to see at Pukkelpop!!! This will be my seventh time at the Festival since 2006 (coming from Italy).

I'm actually very happy when i see the festival taking its time to release the first names. Pukkelpop is different from other festivals that have already completed their lineup...they are probably booking small and interesting acts right now at the SXSW, and they will keep adding something interesting in the next months until August. That's why the smaller names on the lineup are often so good! :)

For this year, looking at who's playing in Europe in July, August or September i'm hoping for Soccer Mommy, St. Vincent, Julien Baker, Sandy (alex G), Lucy Dacus and maybe Japanese Breakfast...let's see...

19 minutes ago, Kikujiro said:

Never been fascinated by the mainstage, so i don't care much about the headliners...but i'm very happy about Kendrick Lamar! :)

Pukkelpop is probably the only festival that I would go to even if the headliners were shit (2015 was just too shit though 3, even though I still regret not going) as long as the Marquee and Club are decent I'll be there.

Soccer Mommy is a great shout. There's loads of great smaller bands about at the moment, all suited to one or more of the stages. Let's hope they book some gems from SXSW.

Edit - St.Vincent is ruled out @Kikujiro playing in Japan that weekend. Thursday is possible but doubtful.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

47 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Pukkelpop is probably the only festival that I would go to even if the headliners were shit (2015 was just too shit though 3, even though I still regret not going) as long as the Marquee and Club are decent I'll be there.

Soccer Mommy is a great shout. There's loads of great smaller bands about at the moment, all suited to one or more of the stages. Let's hope they book some gems from SXSW.

Edit - St.Vincent is ruled out @Kikujiro playing in Japan that weekend. Thursday is possible but doubtful.

Hi Dave (never had the pleasure to meet you but i always read this forum), are you sure about St.Vincent?

From what i see (on Songkick) she's in Japan at the beginning of August but then she comes back to Europe for the Flow Festival (10-13 August) and by the end of the month she will be in UK...

It's very important for me to know because she's playing in Italy in June so...if she will be officially ruled out in the Pukkelpop days i'll immediately buy tickets for Milan.

42 minutes ago, Kikujiro said:

Hi Dave (never had the pleasure to meet you but i always read this forum), are you sure about St.Vincent?

From what i see (on Songkick) she's in Japan at the beginning of August but then she comes back to Europe for the Flow Festival (10-13 August) and by the end of the month she will be in UK...

It's very important for me to know because she's playing in Italy in June so...if she will be officially ruled out in the Pukkelpop days i'll immediately buy tickets for Milan.

Hi mate. If you've read this forum for a while you must have read a lot of shit that I've posted!

St. Vincent are most likely ruled out. As are all the others on this line up

www.summersonic.com/2018

slight chance of the Thursday as I said but can't see it.

Rock En Seine announcing first names on the 20th. Arcade Fire have their Paris gig on the 28th April (v.nearly sold out) . Again, could be the reason for the delay.

6 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Hi mate. If you've read this forum for a while you must have read a lot of shit that I've posted!

St. Vincent are most likely ruled out. As are all the others on this line up

www.summersonic.com/2018

slight chance of the Thursday as I said but can't see it.

Rock En Seine announcing first names on the 20th. 

OUCH! You're painfully right...i was wrong on the date of the japanese festival...still can't believe she will be in Helsinki the 13th, then fly to Japan for the festival the 18th and come back in Europe for a concert in Leeds the 28th, but i guess it's normal for her.

I'll wait the first batch of names from Pukkelpop and then buy the ticket for Milan.

So...very few to no chances to have her, Tame Impala, Kelela and Jorja Smith the 16th (it would be quite a miracle)...which is a pity, but not a disgrace, a lot of very good things are not ruled out yet.

I've been to Rock En Seine once, very nice festival in a very nice place, i think this year RES and PKP are probably linked for a lot of annuncements.

I've always wanted to ask a question in this forum: what in your opinion are the Festivals that usually have the most names in common with PKP?

This year...i wish it's End Of The Road. :)

6 minutes ago, Kikujiro said:

OUCH! You're painfully right...i was wrong on the date of the japanese festival...still can't believe she will be in Helsinki the 13th, then fly to Japan for the festival the 18th and come back in Europe for a concert in Leeds the 28th, but i guess it's normal for her.

I'll wait the first batch of names from Pukkelpop and then buy the ticket for Milan.

So...very few to no chances to have her, Tame Impala, Kelela and Jorja Smith the 16th (it would be quite a miracle)...which is a pity, but not a disgrace, a lot of very good things are not ruled out yet.

I've been to Rock En Seine once, very nice festival in a very nice place, i think this year RES and PKP are probably linked for a lot of annuncements.

I've always wanted to ask a question in this forum: what in your opinion are the Festivals that usually have the most names in common with PKP?

This year...i wish it's End Of The Road. :)

Lowlands for headliners and acts all over the bill, Green Man for Club, Marquee & Lift bands. Frequency, MS Dockville and Paredes De Coura also have a few that crossover. The  old 'V' festival used to share a few pop acts but that's gone. Think we'll share a few with the new RIze festival that's replaced it (Rag n Bone Man, Years and Years and James Bay for example) 

Dance music acts I find are less tour structured, more mobile and are harder to predict.

1 hour ago, Kikujiro said:

I've met him and there is nothing pleasurable about it....

Im stumped this year as to who will play, they seem to play it safe on the headliner front these days.  Couldnt see them booking a Kraftwerk type band again.  The Marquee is always great to see big bands  in a relatively small venue and they normally really pull it out of the bag with bands that they put on that stage.   

Surely there must be an announcement next week, so I can get the flights book....and DischotequeDaves flight.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kikujiro said:

I also have hopes for Young Fathers and D'Angelo, but i have less clues for these guessings...but Young Fathers where great at Pukkelpop 2 years ago and D'Angelo...well he's been one of the best concerts i've ever seen...

D'angelo is ruled out: will play at Couleur Café festival in Brussels.

Some nice names on that line up to bring a great undercard. 

Massive attack for a high slot in the marquee? N.E.R.D for a main stage slot after Kendrick? 

Hopefully we could share Sigrid together with RW. Her performance last year was really good, so hopefully she is also on the line up this year. 

3 hours ago, jimmyjimmy4080 said:

The Marquee is always great to see big bands  in a relatively small venue and they normally really pull it out of the bag with bands that they put on that stage.  

My favourite stage is the Castello (as in the past was the Chateau), i'm there almost 40% of the time. Usually it's a great stage to discover new artists that will eventually become more famous in the next years (i remember a great FKA Twigs concert there) but it's also the stage that provides to even lesser known artists an audience which is bigger than they are used to (i remember 2 years ago our Clap! Clap! making a very good impression on an audience he was clearly unknown to...i'm definitely not an italian localist, but i must admit i felt proud! :D).

Marquee is always good for great acts a little to small for the main stage, The Club is good but sometimes the bands are too polished for my tastes, Dance Hall is often funny, and it's been a while since the last time i saw something i really liked in the Shelter Stage.

Can somebody please tell me how they changed the stages last year compared to 2016? Two years ago i really appreciated the Booth and Lift stages! :)

Edited by Kikujiro

3 hours ago, Kikujiro said:

My favourite stage is the Castello (as in the past was the Chateau), i'm there almost 40% of the time. Usually it's a great stage to discover new artists that will eventually become more famous in the next years (i remember a great FKA Twigs concert there) but it's also the stage that provides to even lesser known artists an audience which is bigger than they are used to (i remember 2 years ago our Clap! Clap! making a very good impression on an audience he was clearly unknown to...i'm definitely not an italian localist, but i must admit i felt proud! :D).

Marquee is always good for great acts a little to small for the main stage, The Club is good but sometimes the bands are too polished for my tastes, Dance Hall is often funny, and it's been a while since the last time i saw something i really liked in the Shelter Stage.

Can somebody please tell me how they changed the stages last year compared to 2016? Two years ago i really appreciated the Booth and Lift stages! :)

The club stage in 2016 was where the Shelter was last year. The lift was bigger and was where the Club stage was. The lift was in the same place.

14 hours ago, Kikujiro said:

This was how the stages were build up last year. 

1740977.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

Wish they'd just post the hour of the announcement. Too much work to be refreshing the website tomorrow, but I know myself :p.

Should be in the morning. Hopefully we'll get 80+ names in one go. 

Anyway, here's my final guess. Have discounted 30 Seconds to Mars as the have a concert in Luxembourg early September. Can't see them doing a gig that close in distance and time but you never know. Missed off the Boiler as I've no idea who could be there this year - The Black Madonna will most likely though.

Big question for me is if Arcade Fire is a yay or a nay? - Fingers crossed it's a yay.

Main –         Lauv / Years and Years / Rag N Bone Man / Dua Lipa / The War on Drugs / Arcade Fire

Marquee –     Susan Sundfor / Grizzly Bear / Phoenix / Vampire Weekend / Bonobo

Club –         Charlotte Gainsbourg / Protomartyr / The Rapture / Everything Everything / Dirty Projectors

Dance Hall    Princess Nokia / Dave / Bicep (live) Skepta / MØ 
Castello    Young Fathers / Moses Sumney / Todd Terje / George Fitzgerald (live) Four Tet (live)

Main –  BØrns / Nothing But Thieves / Sum 41 / Florence & the Machine or Imagine Dragons / Justice

Marquee –     Anna Calvi / Haim / Fleet Foxes/ Massive Attack / Lykke Li

Club –  The Wombats / Lemon Twigs / Unknown Mortal Orchestra / Belle and Sebastian

Dance Hall -     Gorgon City / Chromeo / Jungle / Hot Chip Megamix / Pendulum

Castello     Alexis Taylor / Nils Frahm / Maribou State / Rhye / Ross from Friends / Nick Murphy

Main   Brockhampton / Jessie Ware / Papa Roach / James Bay / N*E*R*D / Kendrick Lamar / Netsky

Marquee –  Seasick Steve / Vaccines / Flogging Molly / The Hives / Iggy Pop / Goldfrapp

Club – Japanese Breakfast / Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever / Idles/ Ariel Pink / King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard / Brian Jonestown Massacre

Dance Hall  -  Simian Mobile Disco / Confidence Man / Silk City / Charli XCX 

Castello    Bearcubs / Jacob Banks / Joe Goddard (live) / DJ Tennis / Dekmantel Sound System / Kelly Lee Owens

Lift - Cabbage, Soccer Mommy, John Maus, Hookworms, Pip Blom, Black Angels, Lucy Dacus

• Upvote 1