October Drift

Crazyfool01

2 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

Yeah I’m going. They’re on early evening this time so hopefully there’ll be a bigger crowd! They were on first last time

theres defiately progression there :) Although ive only started following them fairy  recently terms of how long they have played together  they've talked to me about playing to audiences of less than 10 people ... and even since I started posting about them on here Ive watched significant growth ... Its so great seeing a decent group of lads with a positive future in music 

Looking at the clips on here they look a decent band. I see they’re playing King Tuts in Glasgow next year, an iconic music venue where a lot of top bands cut their teeth. The Tuts describe them as a rising newcomer with a strong word of mouth following since they exploded onto the music scene. 

Would be nice if a slot was found for them at Glastonbury! 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Looking at the clips on here they look a decent band. I see they’re playing King Tuts in Glasgow next year, an iconic music venue where a lot of top bands cut their teeth. The Tuts describe them as a rising newcomer with a strong word of mouth following since they exploded onto the music scene. 

Would be nice if a slot was found for them at Glastonbury! 

They opened John peel on the sunday a few years back ... definitely have a stronger presence since then having been signed up ... producing long awaited first album and have supported Editors amongst others ... Im trying to gain some Glastonbury info but think they will be tight lipped but am hopeful of an appearance somewhere :) .... they do an awfull lot of touring so at the moment they are quite available for a very good price ... I think Bristol was £7 or £8  just over the price of a pint .. so a bargain at the moment 

On 12/17/2019 at 7:28 PM, crazyfool1 said:

theres defiately progression there :) Although ive only started following them fairy  recently terms of how long they have played together  they've talked to me about playing to audiences of less than 10 people ... and even since I started posting about them on here Ive watched significant growth ... Its so great seeing a decent group of lads with a positive future in music 

Record Store Day 2012 (Pre-Name Change)
10 Points if you can tell me the name of the Record Store and 10 points if you can tell me the previous name

577352_10150766975097138_2109736193_n.jpg

405037_10150766975222138_1969630788_n.jpg

Edited by Dukeicon

1 minute ago, Dukeicon said:

The Darlingtons but close enough ;)
That's the one, Black Cat Records!
13/20 points awarded! :)

I was going to get there ... might have had to use my phone a friend for the second :) ... before I started watching them ... quite likely would have known Chris at that point 

• 4 weeks later...

absolutely delighted for these guys to be releasing a long awaited album .... as im sure nearly everyone who posts on these forums knows I had an inkling that they were going to do well and this is just another step up that ladder to success ... today has been like Christmas day for me awaiting the unwrapping and playing of it as soon as was possible .... Its tracks are a good mix ... and oh the silence is getting rave reviews ..... so happy for the guys ..... download and listen .....and post your reviews below :) ... we will see these guys back on the farm soon I would imagine 

A review from a fan on the fb page ..... not a blogger ...

I don’t blog, but I do have a passion about a certain band. Been listening non stop. Except to write this. Lads. Chris Holmes, Alex Bispham, Daniel Young, Kiran Roy. You smashed it x

If you’ve been lucky enough to have been backstage at Reading Festival for the past 3 years and have witnessed me in full flow (after a few shandies) about the lack of upcoming bands that could headline the festival, then preaching about a young band from Taunton and wondering who on Earth I could’ve been talking about?
Well, that young band has just dropped their debut album.
October Drift
And I hate to say it, but I’ve been proven right in my assessment. They ARE the future headliners of many a festival. Baby steps first of course. Nobody put Radiohead on top of the main stage straight after they released Creep, but of course, the potential was there.
October Drift’s Losing My Touch opens their new album Forever Whatever.
Here’s a thing. The first time I ever heard an October Drift tune was when my pal Steve said check this band out. Popped on to YouTube, played Losing My Touch, quickly wrote him a text saying where and when are this band playing London!
Such a huge opening, big drums, crunching guitars courtesy of Dan and Kiran, then Kirans voice comes in. Low, deep, menacing and very intriguing. Yeah. I’m hooked. Then the chorus.
And, like the majority of the songs on this album, the lads can’t half write a chorus!
‘They say the silver line, I’m silver all the time. There’s nothing here for me now’ 
Oh but there is. There’s an album packed with anthems, angst and hope.
Second song in and it’s Oh, The Silence. It’s what the young ones call a Banger.
Straight from the off Kirans vocals capture you Still Got Time But Not Quite The Energy.
One of the highlights of the album. A pop tune. With another killer chorus and a want to jump into the nearest mosh pit.
Steadily into the 3rd song and it’s Cherry Red. Alex’s bass takes this song from the start and rolls it into a safe territory for the lads. A rocking tune, with guitars that blast your ears into kingdom come. Hey lads. Can Billy Corgan have his guitar pedals back?
Don’t Give Me Hope. 4th song in and it’s a gentler but very emotional time we’ve entered. Kirans lyrics really coming to the fore here and reminds me of prime Biffy Clyro when they want to break your heart. We Build Machines....To Watch Them Rust. Just lovely. A huge tune and a real hands in the air moment at their live show.
Track 5 and it’s four to the floor. Chris tubthumping the floor tom. This is sort a breather and Just Got Caught is a grower. It doesn’t jump out at you like the previous songs but what it does do is, for me when I go back to listen to the album, I press play on this one first. Could’ve been the opener for me.
Milky Blue. Track Six. This one reminds me of the head shaker David Gray. Certainly not a weak point in the album, but one which sort of washes over me. Yet, I reckon with more listens it could be a favourite.
Talking of favourites here comes Track Seven and Cinamon Girl. Way back when I first saw them, this was one of the stand out moments of their live set. The yearning in Kirans voice and the lyrics of loss, losing love and isolation. To know how good a tune it is, on their last tour they brought this one out as an acoustic number and you could hear a pin drop when Kiran sang it. Another gem on this album.
Track Eight. Naked. Now....this for me, is where the album has one of its stand out moments. You’ll need a sit down, turn off the lights, close your eyes and sink into this tune. The beautiful harmonies from Chris, the production of the piano, strings and Kirans strong lyrics ending with I Knew We Always Could. Me too.
Forever Whatever. Track Nine. After the emotional Naked, the lads bring back the guitars and the title track. Shoestring Hold Our Lives Together, Forever Whatever. Got give props to the lyrics from Kiran, and whoever else may have contributed. He certainly comes up with some great moments and I can’t wait to soak into when my CD arrives.
Track Ten. The Past. Thing is this is a band that is certainly not looking back. Sure, their influences from the grunge era, to The National but where this last track leads us into is another country. A country of hope, love and acceptance. A country where you can be at peace with each other. 
And this is where the album ends, taking us on, like most excellent albums, a journey.
Luckily, this is not a once in a lifetime journey but one that you can go on daily, if not hourly.

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

absolutely delighted for these guys to be releasing a long awaited album .... as im sure nearly everyone who posts on these forums knows I had an inkling that they were going to do well and this is just another step up that ladder to success ... today has been like Christmas day for me awaiting the unwrapping and playing of it as soon as was possible .... Its tracks are a good mix ... and oh the silence is getting rave reviews ..... so happy for the guys ..... download and listen .....and post your reviews below :) ... we will see these guys back on the farm soon I would imagine 

I've been following OD since seeing them at the farm in 2017.  The singles and various releases have been great, but it is nice to have a proper album out.  Through one listen so far today, and am really enjoying it, (not that I expected not too...).  Just glad it's lived up to the hype I had generated in my head!  Hope to see them this summer!!

Just now, BackpackFullOfWarmBeer said:

I've been following OD since seeing them at the farm in 2017.  The singles and various releases have been great, but it is nice to have a proper album out.  Through one listen so far today, and am really enjoying it, (not that I expected not too...).  Just glad it's lived up to the hype I had generated in my head!  Hope to see them this summer!!

im off to see an acoustic set in HMV in a bit .... they are touring and the prices are pretty low around £8  .... I was there for that one ... Id told them that I wasn't going to see them play live until they played at Glastonbury ..... I remember the day I found out they were playing it brought a tear to my eye ... as did todays first listen to the Album .. knowing the constant touring and the graft that went in .... I had to keep approving the drummers holidays at his day job :) for a couple of years 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

im off to see an acoustic set in HMV in a bit .... they are touring and the prices are pretty low around £8  .... I was there for that one ... Id told them that I wasn't going to see them play live until they played at Glastonbury ..... I remember the day I found out they were playing it brought a tear to my eye ... as did todays first listen to the Album .. knowing the constant touring and the graft that went in .... I had to keep approving the drummers holidays at his day job :) for a couple of years 

Enjoy!  If you bump into them today, ask about a North American tour, (I'm in Toronto).  :) 

1 minute ago, BackpackFullOfWarmBeer said:

Enjoy!  If you bump into them today, ask about a North American tour, (I'm in Toronto).  :) 

they are doing a livestream on fb at 7 uk time .... you could join in and ask them yourself ..... if not I will ask for you :) just join the od community :) 

Edited by crazyfool1