King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard

Mash011

9 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Correction - the 23rd. So Glasto could potentially get a show on album release day, though my money's on them doing the Saturday. Three sets, new album in full at one of them?

I believe this next one is going to be a spoken word album, I'm guessing in the vein of eyes Like the Sky. There was a clip on facebook this morning. 

33 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

I believe this next one is going to be a spoken word album, I'm guessing in the vein of eyes Like the Sky. There was a clip on facebook this morning. 

Nah they're spoken word interludes. They've previewed songs off the record, e.g. Altered Beast, that aren't just readings. Seems like it might be Nonagon Infinity meets Eyes Like the Sky

5 minutes ago, big__phil said:

I know it's probably a bit early, but has anyone got a presale link to the new record? I had a look earlier and couldn't find one.

I'm probably just being a bit keen...

Is there a pre-sale for it? I know you can do it from 9pm tonight, I don't really know any current fan base as crazy for vinyl as King Gizz, fans, they make it sound like it's gonna sell out faster than tickets would. 

4 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Is there a pre-sale for it? I know you can do it from 9pm tonight, I don't really know any current fan base as crazy for vinyl as King Gizz, fans, they make it sound like it's gonna sell out faster than tickets would. 

Pre-sale is the wrong word, I meant pre-order.

Sorry to confuse!

So, christ, this new record is going to be something special. 22 tracks on it!

17523373_1434275193305276_3948178062322516525_n.jpg?oh=7f9d8d9c8ea6b5a3f5af99e3a4bb6635&oe=594F9A78

And then a description of the album, not sure where this comes from but seen it on the FB fan page:

"As soon as the dust settles you can see an new world / In place of where the old one had been...”

A concept album to end all concepts, Murder Of The Universe is the new collection by head-bending psychedelicists King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard 

Murder Of The Universe is a face-melting musical assault concerned with the downfall of man, the death of the planet....the murder of the whole goddamn universe. 

“We’re living in dystopian times that are pretty scary and it’s hard not to reflect that in our music,” says front man Stu Mackenzie. “It’s almost unavoidable. Some scientists predict that the downfall of humanity is just as likely to come at the hands of Artificial Intelligence, as it is war or viruses or climate change. But these are fascinating times too. Human beings are visual creatures – vision is our primary instinct, and this is very much a visual, descriptive, bleak record. While the tone is definitely Apocalyptic, it is not necessarily purely a mirror of the current state of humanity. It’s about new non-linear narratives.” 

Lit by thunderclaps and lightning, Murder Of The Universe inhabits a sonic landscape of death, decay, ossification, fossilisation, rebirth. It is a place occupied by wandering shape-shifting beasts, bleeding skies, pools of blood, great fires and mushroom clouds; a planet rent asunder by conflict. It may take years for its true importance to be appreciated. There are simply no capital letters large enough to convey the EPIC nature of this collection. 

Their tenth album in five dizzying years, the first eight tracks of Murder Of The Universe alone sees songs doing battle with one another (‘Altered Beast’ Pts I to IV and ‘Alter Me’ Pts I to III), as man, beast and automaton collide in a death grapple. Flesh and bone meets mud and metal as the listener is treated to funereal fugue pieces (‘Some Context’), primordial drone-sludge (‘The Reticent Raconteur’), demonic doom-chants (‘The Floating Fire’), cyborg-narrated kosmiche workouts (‘Han-Tyumi, The Confused Cyborg’) and technicolour Outback proto-metal (‘Vomit Coffin’).

A disorientating experience, the album hinges on three distinct chapters that rise from larval beds, and whose lyrics should be carved in stone, squeezed from moss, discovered in ancient runes. And all the while a passing cast of characters imbue the tale with both human and non-human emotions.

Snippets of their breakthrough records I’m In Your Mind Fuzz and Nonagon Infinity resurface throughout in ghostly shadow form to haunt their latest sound. In years to come King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard will be judged not by their separate albums, but by a body of work where themes, melodies, motifs, riffs and ideas resurface and recur, each album peeling back a layer of the onion to glimpse at past and future alike. 

Their albums should be treated as portals through which you can move from one to the other. Songs sync together, records can be played in loops and past ideas recur or are reprised, and then woven into new textures. “These ideas aren’t necessarily contrived,” says Stu “sometimes they just happen.” "

So.. ummm.... I'm hyped????

I feel a bit odd being so hyped for an album when they released one less than 2 months ago, not to mention how quickly that came before the other ones. There's also a description for the one after this which still comes this year: 

"Beyond Murder Of The Universe, the band will next release a jazz-based, improv- leaning collection entitled Sketches Of Brunswick East, whose name alludes to both Miles Davis’ Sketches Of Spain, the notion of sketches as outlines for ideas and all- round sketchy behaviour. Two more albums will follow that in 2017. But that is a story for another day...."

Yeah it's probably not a bad idea trailing the improv jazz album under the shadow of this one. Still though, three more albums after this ginormous one? This is frightfully close...

On 03/05/2016 at 6:31 PM, dentalplan said:

If they bring out a couple more albums this year of the quality of Nonagon Infinity then I think I might quit my job and all material possessions and become the Gizzard equivalent of a Deadhead. They've got such a good thing going.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Yeah it's probably not a bad idea trailing the improv jazz album under the shadow of this one. Still though, three more albums after this ginormous one? This is frightfully close...

My guess is the last two will be some kind of dual release like how they release two versions of Pokemon at the same time. Surely the only way that works.

17 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Some of those song titles may just be the spoken word snippets between songs. 

Yeah musically it'll probably be a standard length since they're still releasing it on a single LP. They've just chopped it up more finely that unusual. This thing will inflate my scrobble counters like nothing has since Titus Andronicus released that 29 song album.

there's not many bands I know it'll be worthwhile turning the football off for 13 minutes, King Gillard aren't many bands. 

EDIT: Sweet Christmas I just finished it, it's a notch above what I was expecting which is very very high for the Gizz. Probably the best sci-fi/vomit/experimental rock/voice synthesised 13 minutes of my life. Time for round 2.

Edited by priest17
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, GrowlerPhil said:

Unless you're absolutely desperate to get your hands on a first pressing I'd leave it. Flightless charges about $40 for international shipping. I can wait. I haven't got MFB yet I can't keep up.

I couldn't resist......Shipping was less than I thought.

• Upvote 1

Quite something, isn't it?

That video covers tracks 16-21 of the album, by the way (it's actually 21 tracks, Lord of Lightning is just one track). So we've basically heard almost all of the album in some form now - seems it breaks down to three chapters which are Altered Beast/Lord of Lightning + Balrog/Han-Tyumi. I like that new vid a lot but from what I've heard the other two parts are much more exciting.