Thoughts on taking a DSLR?

Leesha

I've taken a DSLR (Nikon 3100) a couple of times - with a decent strap (I use a Black Rapid) it's less of a burden and you'll get some cracking shots.  I've taken a compact but struggle without an optical viewfinder.  This year I'm taking a Panasonic bridge camera in preference to the DSLR, simply because it's got a mahoosive zoom which will come in handy.

But whatever you do, take something, and something half decent.  It's my favourite photo-taking event of the year.  You'll regret it if you don't.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've taken my Nikon DSLR the last 2 fests and am 100% glad I did.  I just take the camera and one lens, nothing extra and stuff it in my day sack.  I've just got a new lens - a 10-20mm wide-angle so expect some great results.  I've rarely felt it to be much of a burden and my friends enjoy taking it off me and snapping some shots themselves.  

If you have any interest in photography, the festival is an embarrassment of riches and the results I've got so far greatly exceed what you can do with a point-n-shoot.  I say go for it!

19 minutes ago, Leesha said:

Thanks all, I do really want to take it. As I said the only main thing is the worry of it as lock ups would be ok, but then after the festival and before hand I'm still there. 

Are you driving? If you're arriving that early then you'll likely be in one of the closest car park fields to the gate, so depending on where you're camped, using the the car for storage might be a more viable option than it would be for most public.

I took a simple point a click for a few years, the zoom on it was fantastic but the photos themselves with the limited set up options were average.

Last year I took the plunge and took my DSLR only with one prime lens and managed to get some really nice photos. With the full range of options available my photos took a new life. Spent a good time on the Weds and Thurs taking some photos and the odd couple over the weekend (not so many of bands only the odd one or two). To much going on in big crowds around for me to get it out during bands, as much as it nice to get one or two photos I'm there to enjoy their performance there and then and being 5ft 2ish I'm never going to get good shots without getting my camera in everyone else's way.

Once the light faded went and put it in the lockups, went about the rest of my night and had fun knowing the great folk at the lockups do a fantastic job while I'm off getting messy.

I would say do it but only if you have a fast prime lens (35mm/50mm f1.8 etc) as you won't want to be lugging around a bagfull of lenses, and trying to change them in a crowded area has its risks.

I took my older D40 SLR that was a little bit bashed about and paired it with a 35mm prime and got good shots. At times I did wish I had my other lenses, but even if I'd brought them and left them in the lockups, no doubt for when the time came to wanting to use one of them they'd be on the other side of the site, and so defeated the point of taking them, so didn't bother.

So that's why I rode with the 35mm prime, as it was light to carry, good in low-light and was fairly unobtrusive.

Edited by Chris;

Thanks all this has really helped. I am more inclined on taking it now! I have a prime lens 50mm 1.8 and a 18-55 zoom. Im thinking of taking the prime as don't want to be changing lenses back and fore. If i pick a few hours to take pics i can enjoy the rest of the festival just looking around etc... :)

I brought mine last year and got far better shots than I could have got with a compact or a phone (video montage I made: 

don't know if it's acceptable to plug but it's relevant and I'm pretty happy with it).

I actually left mine in the tent last year when not in use rather than use the lock ups (Bushy Ground near the toilets if you're interested for this year) and had no problems although I have made more sensible decisions but sums up the safety of the place. 

Bring a waterproof backpack, carry it around with you. If that's what your into you'll only regret not having it. 

14 hours ago, Leesha said:

Thanks all this has really helped. I am more inclined on taking it now! I have a prime lens 50mm 1.8 and a 18-55 zoom. Im thinking of taking the prime as don't want to be changing lenses back and fore. If i pick a few hours to take pics i can enjoy the rest of the festival just looking around etc... :)

I'd take the camera, from all you say I reckon you'd regret the fantastic opportunity for loads of unique photos. I don't see it being a problem carrying it around most of the site, so it's just sorting out security at night.

And, for similar reasons, I was reluctant to take my DSLR on a recent demanding foreign adventure, but I'm so glad I took it.

Edited by Avalon_Fields

7 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I'd take the camera, from all you say I reckon you'd regret the fantastic opportunity for loads of unique photos. I don't see it being a problem carrying it around most of the site, so it's just sorting out security at night.

And, for similar reasons, I was reluctant to take my DSLR on a recent demanding foreign adventure, but I'm so glad I took it.

I'm in Australia having just been round SE Asia for 5 months (back 4 days before the festival..). Got a few scratches and a lost lens cap but all in all it's working well, I'd never not have taken it. I guess some people are happy with memories in their heads and sure I'm the same but some people have a desire to capture things and if you've got the camera for it then it's the best choice to make the most of it and bring it with you. 

7 hours ago, BLTN said:

I brought mine last year and got far better shots than I could have got with a compact or a phone (video montage I made: 

don't know if it's acceptable to plug but it's relevant and I'm pretty happy with it).

I actually left mine in the tent last year when not in use rather than use the lock ups (Bushy Ground near the toilets if you're interested for this year) and had no problems although I have made more sensible decisions but sums up the safety of the place. 

Bring a waterproof backpack, carry it around with you. If that's what your into you'll only regret not having it. 

Fab - ty :)

7 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

8 hours ago, BLTN said:

Cool work

22 hours ago, Leesha said:

Cool, I'm taking the plunge this year and also taking those exact lenses, probably going to leave it in the locker during the day and save it for night shots

Edited by Field Commander Jefferson

29 minutes ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

Cool, I'm taking the plunge this year and also taking those exact lenses, probably going to leave it in the locker during the day and save it for night shots

Awesome - looking forward to hearing how your images go :) 

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone, it's really good to hear. I plan on making something similar this year, perhaps a little more focused. 

I took my DSLR a few years back and didn't regret it Last year though I didn't take it and wished I had - so this year having treated myself to a better camera I am definitely taking it with me. One advantage though is that we are in the campervan fields so will have the car.

One of the best things I bought for the camera is a decent rucksack for it. I had this for the first time when I took teh DSLR last time and it was perfect.... easy access to camera and comfy to carry - even with all my camping kit (in another bag) for the walk from the car.

Lowepro Primus AW

The other useful thing I have is a shoulder strap for the camera - much comfier to use for long periods of time and I find it a lot easier to make my way through crowds with it down my side and not in front of me. Having the weight on the shoulder and not the neck is also a bonus!

on the flip side, I'm a keen photographer but I decided at the last moment to leave my DSLR at home last year and I was really glad I did

it was really nice to walk around without looking at it all through the lens and obsessing about getting a good shot

it was such a nice contrast for me to walk around and appreciate it through my eyes instead of my camera

I thought if I left it behind i'd be annoyed every time I saw something i'd want to shoot but it actually turned out to be the opposite, it made me happy every time I got to stand and appreciate something instead of fussing about the light

i'm not saying you shouldn't take your, there are some incredible shots to be taken BUT I am saying don't worry if you leave it at home, you won't be kicking yourself like you'd expect

I took my Nikon D300S with a 50mm prime last year. Didn't really get chance to take many photos, and the 50mm was a bit restrictive when you get into crowds or if you can't get elevated. I also took a 10-24mm but it's an expensive lens and I didn't feel too comfortable whipping it out.

On the fence about taking it this year. To be honest, I'm hoping to completely let loose and just enjoy myself for the moment this year (for various reasons, I couldn't last year).  My iPhone 6S Plus has a pretty decent camera so I can always use that if needs must.  But if you're around before and after the festival, you're gonna find yourself with some downtime, so definitely recommend taking yours.

Because I want to, here's a few photos I took with my D300S and 50mm last year.  

19262203382_227bb87e38_z.jpg

18647618093_c1a4ccbe82_z.jpg

19268158795_f1a192eebb_z.jpg

19268174695_670fc101f7_z.jpg

I took mine a few years ago.  Made a long custom shoulder strap that i nicked off an old bag so it tucked under my hip when i wasn't using it but could easily be swung into action.  Used a very well cleaned out pringles tube that I trimmed and lined to protect the lens when i was walking about and in crowds, i was worried about the lens getting caught walking and being ripped off the camera, a photograph friend gave me the idea, which worked well. Left it in the tent the rest of the time with no issues.

Loved having it but only took it that one year.  Take a small digital now.

Take a Nikon to Glastonbury?  You can't be serious!

Take a Canon!

I'll be taking my 5D iii plus 70-200 and 24-70 2.8s.  However I go home each night so i don't have to worry about lock ups.

Some of my shots are posted on festivalpictorial.com, however they are still quite large so would benefit from a fast connection.  I also haven't got around to fixing the white balance in some - can't believe that was a year ago...