Top 3 Busiest Areas of the Festival

Glastogib

Hmmmm, where to start. It can really depend on who is playing where at what time. For example, one of the biggest crushes I have been in was when trying to leave the John Peel stage via the Dance Village. It was 2008 (maybe 2007?) and the Ting Tings (who they?) were due on. It was absolute gridlock! 

I imagine getting into/ leaving the Pyramid area on the side by the Mandela bar before/after the headliner might be a bit much if you're not used to big crowds. I'm 5' 4" and used to it but it can be a bit of a melee, especially when muddy (which of course it won't be NFR NFC), 

Edited by Levitz

The two bad ones for me are

Access into the SE Corner after headliners finish

Pyramid stage access/exit points after headliners (its just gone dark too so people arent as sure of their footing as on the way in)

I tend to avoid both of those things anyway - but sometimes its better to hang on for 10 mins especially leaving Pyramid.  Im not a fan of people though so tend to avoid those areas.

The market areas in the main drag in and around the bandstand area etc are always busy, the naughty corner, (Shangri La etc), will be rammed every night, (best time to explore there if wanting to avoid crowds is during the day or Weds and Thursday nights), and, well, to be honest the whole place is well busy all the time. If you want a good escape from things though, the Greenfields, Healing Fields etc are a good place to go.

4 hours ago, stuwilky said:

The two bad ones for me are

Access into the SE Corner after headliners finish

Pyramid stage access/exit points after headliners (its just gone dark too so people arent as sure of their footing as on the way in)

I tend to avoid both of those things anyway - but sometimes its better to hang on for 10 mins especially leaving Pyramid.  Im not a fan of people though so tend to avoid those areas.

Very much with you on the staying behind for ten minutes after a big headliner. Unless you are in a mad rush to get to another stage just hanging fire for a bit sees the crowds spread out and it's much calmer to get to where you want to be

Worst area for me was leaving John Peel going through the dance area or heading back towards the pyramid. Some narrow areas there which when muddy are quite scary in a big crowd. Hopefully moving John Peel tent slightly this year might help that situation

6 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Williams Green on a Thursday evening is pretty busy.

Williams Green last year was stupid. My mate nearly had his arm broken after Drenge had just finished. Everyone was trying to get out and he ended up one side of the tent support pole and his arm the other. Never seen so much fear on a blokes face. 

Sometimes it can get a bit tight during the changeover between sub and headline slots.  Where possible I try to move ahead of or after the crowds rather than being stuck in a slow moving, tightly packed shuffling group.

I always seem to find crowds on Wednesday and Thursday evenings thinking "oh it'd be cool to go and check that out", then realizing that thousands of people in a small area have had the same idea..so maybe don't plan on wandering to something that you wouldn't mind turning around and missing on the Wednesday or Thursday night.

Tried to wander up to the stone circle after the fireworks last year to stand by the bonfire for a bit and was met with a torrent of people exiting, no one was getting anywhere and we were stuck for ages.

As everyone has suggested, you can find yourself in a very crowded area almost anywhere for reasons that aren't always clear. The best thing to do under such circumstances is to keep an eye out and hang back or move to one side and wait. In 10 minutes the crowds will have eased. 

Avoiding the front of the major stages should be a given, but also the SE corner will get very busy between the headliners ending and about 2/3am. It's well worth visiting this area but if you fancy going do it while the headliners are on - it's far less busy at this time but still has plenty of atmosphere. 

On 3 June 2016 at 10:22 PM, Glastogib said:

I'm taking my missus who is a first time 'big' festival goer. Are there any areas at certain times that are likely to overwhelm a 5'0 lass. 

What are the top 3 busiest places at certain times. 

cheers

I remember the first time I ventured into the se corner it was pretty daunting, I'm about her height and I couldn't see or do anything it was just a mass of people. Now I'm a bit more savvy I know I won't die, haha.

Pyramid around the Sunday legends slot is always heaving. You're always better to stand by one of the middle towers where there are barriers and security if you're worried about crowds. Always worth hanging back too and waiting for the movement after acts to finish