Download 2017

Hart Attack

Shikari's trouble is they've played Reading and Download too much. This year when Rou said they weren't at Reading or Download, people on here and Twitter didn't believe him at all and thought he was trolling. It was only when they actually got announced for Hevy as an exclusive everyone realized they weren't playing them - some people still expected a secret set at Reading. They should take up 2000 Trees interest to headline their next year and avoid Reading and Download once again - then when they have the full album out they can take their pick in 2018, having not played either DL or RL in 2/3 years - which should give them a better slot.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Shikari's trouble is they've played Reading and Download too much. This year when Rou said they weren't at Reading or Download, people on here and Twitter didn't believe him at all and thought he was trolling. It was only when they actually got announced for Hevy as an exclusive everyone realized they weren't playing them - some people still expected a secret set at Reading. They should take up 2000 Trees interest to headline their next year and avoid Reading and Download once again - then when they have the full album out they can take their pick in 2018, having not played either DL or RL in 2/3 years - which should give them a better slot.

By the time next year's festival comes around though, it would have been three years since Shikari last played, which is the longest they've ever gone. I think that is a long enough break. The BMTH show is their last of the year. Don't announce them until Feb/March time when the 'big' lineup announcement is, and say it is a UK exclusive, that would have been 10 months since playing a single show. They've already put out Hoodwinker and have a habit of releasing stand alone tracks, so if they dropped a couple in the lead up to R&L it would be some new material. 

25 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Shikari's trouble is they've played Reading and Download too much. This year when Rou said they weren't at Reading or Download, people on here and Twitter didn't believe him at all and thought he was trolling.

Can't blame 'em. One time he said 'no UK festivals' and they were announced for a main stage slot at Reading a couple of months later.

Edited by dentalplan

6 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

By the time next year's festival comes around though, it would have been three years since Shikari last played, which is the longest they've ever gone. I think that is a long enough break. The BMTH show is their last of the year. Don't announce them until Feb/March time when the 'big' lineup announcement is, and say it is a UK exclusive, that would have been 10 months since playing a single show. They've already put out Hoodwinker and have a habit of releasing stand alone tracks, so if they dropped a couple in the lead up to R&L it would be some new material. 

I still don't think they'd have them sub R/L. There's too many questions about how much of a draw they are. Ally Pally didn't sell out and touts were flogging them for £15 in the days before the gig. This BMTH show hasn't sold out. Hevy didn't sell well to the point that it got canned - not entirely Shikari's fault, but they have to take some burden of that. 

I think they could sub Download for sure though. 

3 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

I still don't think they'd have them sub R/L. There's too many questions about how much of a draw they are. Ally Pally didn't sell out and touts were flogging them for £15 in the days before the gig. This BMTH show hasn't sold out. Hevy didn't sell well to the point that it got canned - not entirely Shikari's fault, but they have to take some burden of that. 

Just out of interest, what makes you think they could sub Download and not R&L? Personally, I think that they are more suited to R&L than Download. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Just out of interest, what makes you think they could sub Download and not R&L? Personally, I think that they are more suited to R&L than Download. 

Tbf, before day prices were down to £60, whether or not on the basis of Shikari or not, I would have said that a band that appeal to both crowds would play higher at Download.....it's not as a big a festival.

1 hour ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

See I get this, you have to be selling out Ally Pally to play 3rd, Jamie T did it twice over very quick and only played 3rd. Their tour was always too big for them tbh, when they announced arena dates I was thinking....really?. They have their fan base....and that's about it. I saw them on main 2012, and it wasn't the biggest crowd.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

I'm thinking more of how bigger rock and metal acts take a smaller slot at R/L than they would at DL. Five Finger Death Punch could probably sub Download but obviously no where near that at R/L, Parkway Drive and Skindred etc would also be significantly higher. Has happened to Deftones, System of a Down etc in recent years. I don't think this applies to Shikari anywhere near as much as say a FFDP, but I think it still does. This is also influenced by Download seemingly booking smaller subs sometimes now - obviously different festivals but you'd never see Korn subbing R&L, probably wouldn't even get 3rd down.

I think Shikari are more suited to Download now, would've said R&L a few years back but not now. At R&L you can probably get away with having a band that's more indie/R1 friendly sub-headline if they were around Shikari's size, but I don't think you can have a rockier band sub-headline R&L unless they're the band of the moment and on a big wave of popularity - like Bring Me was in 2015. I think BMTH even at that point were streets ahead of where Shikari are now, this is purely an example, but say if Hevy Fest had booked the BMTH that subbed R&L on an exclusive for 2016, then Hevy would've sold enough tickets to go ahead. 

You Me At Six in 2014 a prime example and they're a band with some crossover with R1, if they had played Download under Blink at that time they'd have subbed no questions asked, but the organisers at R&L bottled having them sub and then went with Macklemore instead. 

BMTH are the only rock/metal band to sub R&L since SOAD and NIN in 2013 (who are both very big bands in their own right, NIN maybe less so, but SOAD have headlined DL and NIN could imo). Paramore in 2012 but they could have arguably headlined in their own right too and they only didn't because they got The Cure in. You're probably going back to 30 Seconds to Mars in 2011 when the last up and coming rock/metal band subbed R/L apart from BMTH. 

If Jack U had done the NME tent the night the 1975 did it, Biffy would have grabbed another 15,000 punters. Everyone I know who went was hung up on that clash. 

I feel Shikari have faded - as many do - and that they don’t have the strength to sub. if their next album can bring them back, all for a sub slot. 

Nova Rock announced Blink and Linkin Park. Obviously we're under the impression Blink are off the table but I guess Linkin Park are in Europe now and there's still no official sign of A7X. Those four headliners seem ridiculously good for the demographic of people getting into music in the early-2000s.

Starting to flesh out the undercard acts that are touring - Architects tho they were meant to be having some time of, DEP final festivals so would expect them, etc.

CvwNNBOVIAE4pkb.jpg:large

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Nova Rock announced Blink and Linkin Park. Obviously we're under the impression Blink are off the table but I guess Linkin Park are in Europe now and there's still no official sign of A7X. Those four headliners seem ridiculously good for the demographic of people getting into music in the early-2000s.

Starting to flesh out the undercard acts that are touring - Architects tho they were meant to be having some time of, DEP final festivals so would expect them, etc.

CvwNNBOVIAE4pkb.jpg:large

Jesus, man. That lineup is really damn good. I'd love to go to that. Why can't Novarock be in the school holidays when I'm off :( 

3 minutes ago, lightning1000 said:

Thought everyone was adamant blink weren't here in Europe till July? In fact pop punk sucks was being quite the dick about it. 

I just figured them doing summer arena dates in the U.K. would rule them out rather than the month they're doing them. They were always likely to factor other countries where they can get a gig into their tour.

16 minutes ago, lightning1000 said:

Thought everyone was adamant blink weren't here in Europe till July? In fact pop punk sucks was being quite the dick about it. 

I didn't say they weren't in Europe until July. I said they have placement holders for gigs in Birmingham for July. That would hint at a UK arena tour, no reason why they wouldn't do Euro Fests before that though. 

1 hour ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

I didn't say they weren't in Europe until July. I said they have placement holders for gigs in Birmingham for July. That would hint at a UK arena tour, no reason why they wouldn't do Euro Fests before that though. 

They wouldn't do Download then a month later do a UK Arena Tour, not when they are an hour apart. The Download day would likely not sell out so it would takes a long time for it to be viable to announce any dates. The chances are that Download have SOAD and that is all, LP wouldn't surprise me but I don't see it and Green Day won't be there. They haven't shared two for 4 years.

Download Spain says announcement won't take long, Download Paris states that the next batch will be announced this monday @ 6PM, after which presale will start on Friday.

French Main Square festival is announcing something this afternoon at 6PM (probably Linkin Park, Green Day or Radiohead). 

So it can't be long, right? Would be bonkers if both the French and Spanish DL's had several acts announced and the UK has nothing?