Bob Dylan

jimmyt

I wasn't too impressed last time caught the live show a few years back. He adopted this shouting/barky type delivery. Was rather off-putting. I do like his more recent, softer tones though. Would honestly love to see his name on the final lineup. Highly unlikely, mind.

How is Bob's live performance these days?

Really interested in grabbing some tickets for Southampton if I can get some for cheap

Superb. Saw him last year and he was incredible. Best of the 4-5 times I've seen him.

Depends what you're expecting though. A lot of people think hes still 23 and playing album perfect versions of Mr Tamborine Man, with the big afro and the shades. And are pissed off when he doesn't.

He plays mainly new stuff.

Edited by The Nal

18 months or so ago was one of the best times I've seen him - though very much a fan's setlist in that there was hardly any pre-Time Out Of Mind material. Maybe 2 or 3 tracks. The setlists of that leg were static, leading folks to presuppose that some sort of live album was being recorded, but it's never surfaced.

At the end the crowd gathered at the front of the stage and I missed a high 5 from him by inches.

BY ONE OR TWO CENTIMETRES, EVEN!

18 months or so ago was one of the best times I've seen him - though very much a fan's setlist in that there was hardly any pre-Time Out Of Mind material. Maybe 2 or 3 tracks. The setlists of that leg were static, leading folks to presuppose that some sort of live album was being recorded, but it's never surfaced.

At the end the crowd gathered at the front of the stage and I missed a high 5 from him by inches.

BY ONE OR TWO CENTIMETRES, EVEN!

He was giving high fives!? :O

Last gig I saw he said "thank you we'll be right back" before the interval. Couldn't believe it.

it's funny, I don't really buy this legends/heritage crap that gets peddled, it's mainly fucking shit, but I watched Nal's clip up there, and it made me realise, one day, probably in my lifetime, Bob Dylan isn't going to be around. Fuck, that really fucking stings. He's a proper fucking colussus. There is nobody, nobody like him. Not even close. You know you hear those pub dullards talking about 'the privilige of seeiing X in concert' or whatever, again, i detest that shit, but still, I feel lucky to have been alive to see and experience Dylan's body of work

He was giving high fives!? :O

Yup. Might not have happened if not for a typical crowd of youthful Glaswegians who broke protocol to dance down the front and wave him over towards him at the end shouting things like "GON YERSEL WEE BOABY". I got right in amongst it, but missed the chance to touch the hem of his garment.

it's funny, I don't really buy this legends/heritage crap that gets peddled, it's mainly fucking shit, but I watched Nal's clip up there, and it made me realise, one day, probably in my lifetime, Bob Dylan isn't going to be around. Fuck, that really fucking stings. He's a proper fucking colussus. There is nobody, nobody like him. Not even close. You know you hear those pub dullards talking about 'the privilige of seeiing X in concert' or whatever, again, i detest that shit, but still, I feel lucky to have been alive to see and experience Dylan's body of work

I gotta agree with this. I'm glad I have in my life seen the Stones, Who and Springsteen, all legit legends, but Dylan is a level above in terms of how he has shaped the entire genre.

I think also, that he has more or less hung on to his integrity and never become a nostalgia act, even if that means his shows can be hit or miss. I saw him at Glasto 98 and it was definitely a 'miss' but still, it was Dylan.

The only others I've seen that carry that same kind of status for me are Johnny Cash and Tony Bennett.

The Barfly gig isn't actually happening. A Facebook posting from a ticketing agency stated it would be going ahead, but the Barfly manager came out on FB and said that it wasn't true. The ticketing agency then confirmed that it was a site test that accidentally posted live to FB.

My missus made an interesting point watching that Letterman clip. That he looks like hes finally wearing all the bitterness on his face. He seems a bit twisted. Like an old witch. His MusiCares speech is interesting in that regard. Reminds me of the Father Teds Golden Cleric victory speech:

"But, of course, 30 years later, the smile has been very much wiped off Father Barry Kiernan's face...... And now, we move on to "liars".

Dylan must be a totally different animal from a female perspective. I can't think of anyone who has written such direct and nasty lyrics. A lot of them directed at ex girlfriends, wives etc. I know it totally changed Joni Mitchells outlook on music for example.

Yup. Might not have happened if not for a typical crowd of youthful Glaswegians who broke protocol to dance down the front and wave him over towards him at the end shouting things like "GON YERSEL WEE BOABY". I got right in amongst it, but missed the chance to touch the hem of his garment.

haha. We get "G'wan Bobby" in Ireland.