Kendal Calling feedback 2014

ramragon

Only couple of things I'd like to see imrpoved on would be:

- More lighting, in general. It's really dark at some points of the campsite, even on paths. I noticed this last year too, where we were camped was OK but we spent most of our time at our pals' tent and it was pitch black at night.

- A few food stalls dotted around the campsite would be good, even just one in each corner or something. It wasn't a big deal last year, but when it was so wet it just seemed like a huge effort to trudge down to the middle bit. More water taps around the whole site would be useful too.

- The big wind-y bit on the way in was nuisance. Fine when there's a big queue, but when it's relatively quiet it's daft to have people snaking round 6/7 lanes, especially in the rain. Sniffer dogs are also rubbish.

- Tim Peaks is a bit of a waste of times for a band. Went to see Frankie & The Heartstrings and chucked it after one song, was like watching a band in an over-heated bike shed.

- Apple cider at the bars. The pear and fruit ones can be a bit sickening after a while, so are hot cans of Carlsberg.

Edited by gf1874

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no Wetherspoons pubs in the Lake District ;)

Wetherspoons are opening a bar in Keswick. They are currently refurbishing the old police station.

Whilst not in the lakes exactly, theres a wetherspoons just open in Penrith.

The beginning of the end for the Lakeland pub? Or the end of bar owners taking the piss with inflated prices?

Remains to be seen

Wetherspoons are opening a bar in Keswick. They are currently refurbishing the old police station.

Whilst not in the lakes exactly, theres a wetherspoons just open in Penrith.

The beginning of the end for the Lakeland pub? Or the end of bar owners taking the piss with inflated prices?

Remains to be seen

10 points, but the one in Keswick isn't open yet, and like you say, the Dog Beck isn't in the Lakes ;)

Hopefully the one in Keswick will bring some competition, just like the one in Penrith will, although that could kill off a few more bars in Penrith, which is the last thing we need!

Was impressed with Emperors. Nice short walk to the arena, decent showers (was up early) and nice food bit that was covered over!

Camping in Emperors also meant little to no stop and search for alcohol too!

Both me and my mate got copped taking beer in on the Sunday! Wounded!

we got our bag searched a few times going through emperors, and the other half got patted round the waist/back a few times too, don't mind a bag search but the patting pee's me off, only festival we've been to so far where we've had that, however got to say sometimes we strolled through without a bother.

You kind of need to go prepared for food and drink prices to be expensive and a rip off, that's how they make their money. That said, the real ale prices were very reasonable for a festival.

Agreed about the Real Ale, prices were okay 50p-ish more than my Real Ale local, but the beer was definitely a bit... creamy. Not at all sure it was served correctly.

Honestly I thought the food prices were pretty reasonable-ish for the high quality. £7-ish for the likes of a half roast chicken and spuds, a decent curry and bits and bobs, a rack of ribs, really good nacho chili, etc.

Some nice sweet stuff too with the likes of decent ice cream (i.e not just Mr Whippy) and the Spanish donuts run by a Belgian woman.

And, if like me you were too Class A to eat very much, £1 for a Tibetan dumpling was pretty good value...

This year, that I could detect, there were no water taps inside the Festival.

The bar staff were prohibited from selling water bottles with caps on.

Does Kendal Calling really need a dehydration-related death before it reverts to the 2014 taps policy?

That's probably by only major gripe with the festival, especially considering how warm the likes of the House Party can get it's pretty poor that a) you have to pay for water and B) the bars keep the lids.

On the subject of food, I only bought a burger one day from one of the "normal" vans and it was decent enough, better than your average festival fare. The stuff we got last year was lovely though, and pretty well priced.

This year, that I could detect, there were no water taps inside the Festival.

The bar staff were prohibited from selling water bottles with caps on.

Does Kendal Calling really need a dehydration-related death before it reverts to the 2014 taps policy?

There were some taps at the toilets at the back left of the main stage area near the helter skelter. I just took an empty bottle in and filled up from there. I didn't see any others in the arena.

There were some taps at the toilets at the back left of the main stage area near the helter skelter. I just took an empty bottle in and filled up from there. I didn't see any others in the arena.

I asked festival staff, security staff, and bar staff, and none of them knew of them.

• 1 month later...

-security. A mixture of confidence inspiring proffessionals and incompetent amateurs. One such idiot tried to pat my wife down. He also confiscated a bottle of water. To be fair he was whizzing off his tits so maybe got a bit enthusiastic.

Bands- There is a definite pattern emerging; a great line up one year followed by a poor one the year after. Next year we are due an excellent selection.

Police- Any need, really? I saw the press release where they took great pride in depriving 30 + hippies of their weed. No mention of the thefts or assaults though. Seriously, treating paying customers like criminals is just wrong. The level of police presence is ridiculous and oppressive; uniformed, undercover, sniffer dogs etc. Other festivals have a much better, more pleasant, less threatening vibe, with a very low key police presence.

Day tickets?- Every year we are told 'no day tickets', and every year Sunday sees hundreds of new, clean faces. Where do they come from?

And while I'm at it, one thing that boils my urine; umbrellas. Absolutely no excuse for standing in a crowd with your brolly up, blocking the view of everyone behind. If security don't have the resources to make people put them down and respect others then maybe it's time to ban them altogether. Personally I'd rather they weren't banned, as I use one in place of a walking stick (I never open/raise it, but I don't like to use a stick) But if that's what it takes to stop the inconsiderate arses then so be it.

-

Day tickets?- Every year we are told 'no day tickets', and every year Sunday sees hundreds of new, clean faces. Where do they come from?

I was one of those new clean faces rocked in just after 7 thank fully just missed Tom Odell ! My only explanation for being one of those clean faces is ................ I'm special !

I was one of those new clean faces rocked in just after 7 thank fully just missed Tom Odell ! My only explanation for being one of those clean faces is ................ I'm special !

"Special" :D

I know a lot of people with residents passes went on the sunday. That would account for some fresh faces!

• 4 weeks later...

My Mrs said this year " I`ll never be back " although in much stronger terms !!

Such drama. As I said at the time, a touch of trench foot never hurt anybody and it was only MILD hypothermia.

She said the same after 2012 when the weather was bad but nothing on this year. A nice wee surprise ticket on Christmas morning will sort her out........Hopefully :ninja: