How did everyone find it this year ?

Guest ramragon

We had a great time but the rain and mud was too tiring with an 18month old and a wife who can't get around too well, we were packed around 7pm Sunday night and away home. Shame it turned into such a mudbath after how hot July was, almost typical I suppose.

Still met some good people and the usual scurvy crew from here !

Good times

crap weather

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really enjoyed it, but only lasted 2 days, zip broke on our tent and when we got back Saturday night, we were flooded, so Sunday morning we bailed, only wanted to see Simon and Oscar and Miles Kane and the wait in between their sets wasn't worth it. Really like the whole set up and couldn't believe how small the Main Stage is and the Calling Out, for some reason I thought it was alto bigger than that, never once did I feel cramped though and although it is small I still didn't see it all. I saw pictures of the lake on Facebook, but never saw it and couldn't tell you where it is.

Favorite act has to be Augustines, never heard of them till they was added and they blew me away.

Loved how humble Catfish and the Bottlemen were too, not only incredible live, Van was forever saying, "I can not thank you enough." Was nice to see.

Edited by Marc Whiffen

Yeah the augustines were excellent, we've been banging on about them being added for a few years on here. When they were announced a few of the Facebook mob were banging on about them being boring to watch, I've got no idea how they can claim that, loads of energy in their performance. If you get a chance go to one of their gigs, I saw them about 3 months ago, they did a similar set then asked the audience to part and came off stage into the middle of the crowd and played for around half an hour like buskers with the roadies passing instruments through the crowd to them. Very intimate, never seen it happen before and felt very special.

The lake is behind Tim peakes diner in the hospitality / vip areas, not many people tend to see it. However probably for the best as a lake and thousands of mashed teens wouldn't go hand in hand me thinks !

Not as good or friendly as usual but that could be down to the weather and the fact that I had a bad start to the weekend. The journey from Midlands took 3 hours longer than usual so arrived late on Thursday. Then one window on car wouldn't shut so car was soaked. Missesd a lot of the day waiting for AA who arrived 4 hours after they said they would.

I thought best main stage acts were the heavy & Frank Turner. Catfish were great and enjoyed Findlay, Gallery Circus.

I also left early for the first time leaving before example finished.

I'll see how I feel in a couple of days but for now glad to be dry and clean

Our lot had a good w,end, even the wife getting stopped by the dogs on Friday morning, was quiet funny (she had nothing on her, but a few dregs of weed )

Was surprised on how many kids were there, didn't bother me, even the disapproving looks cause I was smoking didn't really bother us.

Was our first time and I think well go back, just be a bit more ready for the dogs lol

Left the site at 8am home to w Yorkshire in two hours :-)

Rain didn't bother us, we always go prepared.

Happy w,end with no arguments from the kids... Bonus

Edited by stinkywhimp

Had a great time. We're not sure whether we'll be going next year but enjoyed it more than was expecting to given the line-up. The Heavy & Reel Big Fish were surprise highlights. Also loved Suede, De La Soul, Happy Mondays, Our Fold, Nordic Giants, Frightened Rabbit.

Good to see some of you numpties again!

(Loch, only got your message when I got home mate sorry!)

Edited by Flaminglippy

Our lot had a good w,end, even the wife getting stopped by the dogs on Friday morning, was quiet funny (she had nothing on her, but a few dregs of weed )

Was surprised on how many kids were there, didn't bother me, even the disapproving looks cause I was smoking didn't really bother us.

Was our first time and I think well go back, just be a bit more ready for the dogs lol

Left the site at 8am home to w Yorkshire in two hours :-)

Rain didn't bother us, we always go prepared.

Happy w,end with no arguments from the kids... Bonus

Ha ha I did warn ya mate but if your intelegent enough you find a way round the dawgs !

(Loch, only got your message when I got home mate sorry!)

I was abandoned ! Ramgangnam left cnumbtie left ! Tried to find ya mate when miles Kane was on thought you maybe around you usual place to the right of stage couldn't see you .

Ended up drinking with a good mate from years ago it's his 40th today he'd been on the party potions ! It was funny watched clean bandit with him in the calling out !

I legged it in the end cos he was covered in shite an all he wanted to do was hug me and tell folk the things we got upto when we was younger !!!!!

Ha ha I did warn ya mate but if your intelegent enough you find a way round the dawgs !

We did listen mate, did a couple of trips over the w,end. When the dogs went to the wife, all she had was a Baccy pouch that HAD something in at beatherder a couple of weeks back.

Was funny as it's always me who gets searched, not ONCE this w,end. Happy days

Ohh loved Lumberjack heartbreak trucking company,del la soul, suade happy Mondays, two many DJ's with my Emo daughter going mad in the glow tent, was a real highlight

The atmosphere where we camped wasn't that great this year. Quite strange as we always camp in that area and it has a nice mixture of people. Full of kids constantly asking us for drugs and trying to nick our booze. Got my tent broken into on the last night, but lucky had no valuables in there although they did leave my sleeping back outside in the rain. Ah well, not great but it is the risk you take. Might get a live in vehicle next year, avoid all this rain.

But despite the weather had some good laughs and really enjoyed the music. Reel Big Fish was my own personal highlight, and Tim Peaks was great fun at night.

Just home in Edinburgh now . Had a great weekend but because of the rain didn't manage to do or see as much as we wanted. My favourites were The Heavy, Happy Monday's and Miles Kane. I danced like no one could see me. Missed the efest meet on Thursday but met a lovely couple instead and drank all night with them.

Then one window on car wouldn't shut so car was soaked. Missesd a lot of the day waiting for AA who arrived 4 hours after they said they would.

We saw a car next to ours with it's passenger window down, i tried to open the door but it had central locking, I then tried to put a bag over the window to keep the rain out but the seals were too tight to get the bag in. I ended up putting the bag on the seat to try to protect it, the car alarm went off so i left it alone. Did you find a plastic bag on the seat?!! A mate said he saw about 4 cars with windows down!

Had an absolutely great time and even the piss poor weather didn't dampen our weekend. Managed to see pretty much everything we'd planned on seeing and the other things we happened across didn't disapoint. Got back home about 11 this morning and glad we managed to get away early as seemed to be a fair few people struggling getting out the carpark.

Quite an eclectic bunch of bands but were very entertained by the grand old Ukes of Yorkshire, Showhawk Duo and the Everly Pregnant Brothers up in the Tim Peaks on the Saturday night was a good laugh.

Someone called salutation dub collective or similar was probably the most surreal experience of the festival with their nuts singer and a young wanabe Bez dancing on the stage making the majority of the crowd piss themselves laughing.

Thought Suede were very good, Frank Turner excellent, Catfish and the Bottlemen nailed it and as said earlier seemed generally over whelmed by reaction of crowd.

Borrell was his normal arrogant self and was also 15 minutes late for his set with Zazou in Cha Wallahs but enjoyed them and Razorlight were brilliant.

Finished of in the Riot Jazz to watch Felix Hagan and the Family who were ace.

Didn't get to take in the Augustines or Frightened Rabbit unfortunately but couldn't squeeze everyone in.

Think one of the best parts of the weekend was watching all the older gentleman showing the kids how its done when the Mondays came on.

Gone on a bit there but overall a fantastic weekend for which i'm really struggling now.

We saw a car next to ours with it's passenger window down, i tried to open the door but it had central locking, I then tried to put a bag over the window to keep the rain out but the seals were too tight to get the bag in. I ended up putting the bag on the seat to try to protect it, the car alarm went off so i left it alone. Did you find a plastic bag on the seat?!! A mate said he saw about 4 cars with windows down!

Was it a blue VW Golf? We were parked in front of it and spotted the open window when wepopped back to the van yesterday lunch time - there was a plastic bag lying on the passenger seat and my OH tried to put a sheet of cardboard over the window but the alarm kept going off. Managed to flag down a steward to point it out in the end so I hope something got sorted out!

This was our second time at Kendal and I really enjoyed it - no thefts this year and we made some really good random discoveries in terms of bands... highlights were Craig Charles, The Grand Old Yukes, We Were Evergreen, The Mouse Outfit, Lumberjack Cowboy Heartbreak Trucking Co. and The Tea Street Band.

My only gripe is about the attitude of some of the stewards and being able to take drinks into the arena (or not) but I'll post about that on the feedback thread.

Had a good time though the weather made it a little bit of a struggle at times!

Loved sunshine underground (latest addition but the band I like the most on the lineup!), suede were great and then went up to Tim peaks for the end of the Britpop set. Wish I'd gone earlier as it was amazing!

Spent Saturday quite relaxed, Tim peaks coffees, couple of quiet drinks, then the run of athlete, Razorlight, happy Mondays and frank turner, all good! Left frank for 10 mins to watch some of augustines who looked good but I'll catch them at their own gig

OCS acoustic was great, though Simon seemed a bit ill!! Good singalong, and then miles and example were brilliant - great crowd energy and singalong.

Camped in the shire which was great apart from the fact the food and drink was a bit of a swampy walk away, could've done with being able to take coffees and breakfast back to the tent in that weather!

Love the food at kendal, mango rays chilli nachos and pizza to the people particular favourites. Kopperberg cloudberry was amazing too

All in all very good weekend, but glad to be home and not walking in mud! Will definitely go back in future but maybe do emperors next time

A group of six of us, between 48 and 55 - half of us had been before. We went on Thursday for the first time and will be doing it again. It saves a lot of hassle. We camped in The Shire, which was great until the mud road took hold. The journey was a little better once the back road past Emperors was opened up.

Good to have Pootopia-type long drop loos but more urinals would have helped - easier for us fellas and leaves the other loos mainly for the ladies. The real ale tent selection wasn't as good this year I feel. There were too many samey beers on. I know they want to use local breweries (or the ones willing to cough up to be on) but even so there could have been more variety. I really missed the Hawkshead Windermere Pale (don't know if it was on last year as I wasn't there, but it's been on every other time). The Borough Pale was the best for me but of course it didn't last long.

The food was excellent, with the highlights being the Tibetan, the Seychelles stall and the old Citroen van with a wood-fired pizza oven in it on the way back from the arena. Absolutely delicious, even if we did keep having to remind them to take our money.

Musically my highlights were Suede, Augustines, Hummingbirds, Gramotones, Membranes(and getting a hug off a very sweaty John Robb), Felix Hagan and the Family and the top band of the weekend, Catfish and the Bottlemen. So pleased for them - I've seen them in tiny venues and they seem to be on the verge of a breakthrough now. The Calling Out tent was more packed than for any other band I've seen there.

Despite the weather we had a top time - blitz spirit kicking in maybe, and if hope to persuade the newbies to return next year. Good to meet Steve (Ramragon) again a couple of times as well as self-styled "fat bloke wearing a traffic cone on his head". Hope to see you all again next year. Drier hopefully.

I had another great year enjoyed meeting a few of the folk off here though i was a little worse for wear by the end of the first night and friday was a struggle.....opening the second field for emperors help a little bit with space and ground conditions stayed pretty good up there compared to the rest of the site....enjoyed pretty much all the acts i caught this year....especially the bohemian rhapsody sing along for showhawk duo.

Didnt get to see as many acts as id hoped as i was being a bit tighter with my money this year so didnt buy food all weekend and kept nipping back to the tent to top up on booze and the odd bag of sweets ...the 10p cup thing annoys me....i dont mind the scheme, i think its a good idea to help keep the place tidy but they should include it in the price on the board rather than in small print under the drinks.

Edited by thurlow84

One issue is cider. I like a nice apple cider, doesn't even need to be particularly high brow- would happily have a magners or bulmers, but can't drink any more than 2 of the pear or mixed fruit stuff. Couple of ciders at the real ale bits and the nice stuff at the kopperberg bar, but the main bar selection is slightly lacking (along with canned beers too!)

First time and really enjoyed it.

By far the best of the five times I've seen the Mondays. Suede were amazing too.

Thought food was reasonably priced, all the food looked excellent, no substandard burger vans or whatever. 12" pizzaz for a tenner you can easily share etc.

A bevy was dear but I don't recall a UK festival that isn't.

All in all, a good little do.

Great weekend. First time we've done 4 days, and the first time we've had proper bad weather, but the tent held up, and the Emperors Field stayed relatively mud-free.

No absolute stellar stand-outs for me musically, but thought Black Rivers were bang on (to say it was their second gig), Mondays, Suede, Grand Old Ukes, Riot Jazz, Steve Hanley leading a chant of "Eat Y'self Fitter", Dub Sex and of course the mighty Membranes were highlights (especially the one minute encore of Spike Milligan's Tape Recorder).

The mud slides were ace, and provided big competition for Newton Faulkner.

Plusses : Pootopia toilets in the camping areas !!, good real ale at £4, same old friendly Kendal feel to it all, getting away on Monday was very quick

Minuses : the weather making it slow progress around site, there felt like slightly less 'going on' (no comedy tent, less bands/small stages), Emperors Field was pretty packed (if we had arrived on Friday we would have struggled to find space together)

Like Lippy, before committing next year we are going to have a look at the opposition. We had a great time, but I felt musically I was struggling at certain times to keep my foot tapping. Roll on Long Division.

Had the time of my life to be perfectly honest. Sometimes ye just gotta put up with the weather from what I heard a good number of people went home on Sunday. However there's nothing worse than a Festival comedown so let's talk positive......How good was Miles Kane, Happy Mondays 2manydjs and that funk and soul night on Thursday was awesome and the MD that was floating about. The fire on Friday night was awesome and the people around it were as friendly as could be.... If any of you are on this I'm the Scottish guy that was trying to dry his clothes and blanket. Simon and Oscar were also really good. Think this must go down as the funniest festival iv ever been to. Missed out on a few acts trying to stay high and drunk and trying to stay dry but that's festivals for ye! Luckily the tent just up the road was selling g's of Balance for £20 I got one off him on the Friday afternoon and the stuff lasted all weekend! Didn't slip on my arse once considering the conditions I'm pretty proud of myself. On the whole it was a great festival unfortunately I can't compare to other Kendal's as this was my first time but I know for a fact if you had the weather it could be up there with the best festivals in Britain. Anyway Thanks for the good weekend folks. I'll hopefully make it next year! When do the first batch of tickets usually go on sale?

I really enjoyed it, despite the mud. We ended up leaving early on the Sunday as I was struggling to get around in the mud, but thoroughly enjoyed it and would go back.

Everyone seemed friendly and I didn't hear of any thefts around us.

Spent a small fortune on booze/food (although the food was good - I didn't have a meal I didn't enjoy).

Highlights for me were the Bohemian Rhapsody sing a long with Showhawk Duo, the Everly Pregnant Brothers up at Tim Peaks and Reel Big Fish for their sheer energy.

Didn't manage to bump into any of you guys, but we did look! Never mind, there's always another year :)