Flags

Guest Keef

Watching Arcade Fire and Kaiser Chiefs on TV and is it me or are there fewer flags in front of the stages this year? I know John Peel doesn't suffer as much as the pyramid but both seem to be much more visible from the low cameras behind the crowd.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I was just about to start a new thread "Where Have All The Flags Gone".

I have always been a big supporter of the flags and feel a bit sad to see so few. Does anyone know if there is any specific reason, hard to see why it would just suddenly happen when for the last few years they seem to be increasing.

(Here we go, wait for the flag haters)

Definitely seemed to be fewer flags in front of the Pyramid last night. We were in roughly the same place we were in for U2 in 2011 - and back then, all we could see were flags with a brightly lit stage behind them. Last night, sight-lines were, pretty much, uninterrupted. A vast and welcome improvement.

Blimey, watching Kodaline (on TV), it's raining and there are lots of people with UMBRELLAS, I love flags but would not be happy in crowd with UMBRELLAS.

I cannot understand how anyone would think it acceptable to open an UMBRELLA in crowd, apart from blocking the view it also means all the water drips onto the adjacent people.

Blimey, watching Kodaline (on TV), it's raining and there are lots of people with UMBRELLAS, I love flags but would not be happy in crowd with UMBRELLAS.

I cannot understand how anyone would think it acceptable to open an UMBRELLA in crowd, apart from blocking the view it also means all the water drips onto the adjacent people.

What a terrible post!

The flags are a great sight!! It's one of the aspects that really sets the Festival apart...Imagine the sight for the bands getting on stage, the sheer colour and chaos.

It's the thing that tells Mick Jagger/Jay-Z etc. that this isn't another stadium rock gig, it's Glastonbury, something different, something special..

I hope the lack of flags has been down to the weather, and that this fine tradition keeps pace. Get going people, represent!

What tells the artist it's somewhere special is the audience response - not that twat Michael mollesto with his advert held up in front of the pyramid all day

Those who think the flags make the place special never went before when front stage crowds were almost entirely people who wanted to be there, not to be seen