Game of Thrones discussion thread

bunique

yep agree that this series hasn't been the best so far - not terrible by any means, but it just doesn't seem like anything's happening. each character's off in their own little place doing their own little thing, barely interacting with each other or worried about what the others are up to. no action. no drama. no threat (until right at the end of each ep when something mildly dramatic will happen but quickly be brushed off in the next ep). really hope they kick it up a notch which these last five. episode nine especially has been a high point of the previous series so i hope it's yet another jaw dropper

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How Tyrion does not get/have Greyscale is confusing me, unless of couse he does develop it but we just dont know that yet.

From what I understand you get it from contact with Stonemen and as one of them grabbed Tyrion and pulled him down under the water surely that contact will mean he should be infected?

And then we find out at the end Jorah is infected. The same Jorah that apparently carried the "heavier than he looks" Tyrion to they place in which he awakes, thus Jorah in touching Tyrion has obviously infected him..............

And yet Jorah has to uncover the area on his arm where he was touched. If it was his exposed hand, face, neck then yeah Id go along with it more.

I dont know, I just dont like when they create something like this in movies/programmes but when to suit their story/scene go against likelihoods and probabilities.

And yet Jorah has to uncover the area on his arm where he was touched. If it was his exposed hand, face, neck then yeah Id go along with it more.

Nah it was covered up to hide it from Tyrion.I think I am right in saying his shirt/top was quite short on the arms, defo more loose/less clothing than Tyrion anyway.

Ah its just me and the way some things bug me.

Im very much of the opinion " if you are going to make me believe/go along with something unbelievable then make it as believable as possible"

I just hate when I find myself internally arguing with fantasy.

"your presentation of this made up fantasy world is not believable"!

"your presentation of this made up fantasy world is not believable"!

In fairness Sci Fi and Fantasy worlds, where anything can happen, are supposed to be internally consistent.

As for Jorah, he was having the thick-end of the melee fight and, ahem, shirts can get lifted. (Or so I'm reliably informed by those who know about such things).

Wooderson / Vibe, as fellow book readers, did you think it would be much different given the material they are working with? If they'd stuck to the books more rigidly, then surely would be more trudging?

Not saying I disagree, as has been dull so far, still watchable, but feel that we're learning a lot less about the characters now and there are less 'wow' moments.

I guess if you think back to S4, by episode 5 (not seen tonights yet), you'd had Oberyn's arrival, Joffrey's wedding, Craster's Keep fight, Arya & Hound roadtrip. Plus Tyrion's trial in ep 6. Whereas hasn't been that much excitement this time round.

Odd. I enjoyed the episode. Face off between Sersei and the elder Tyrell was great, the hearing for the same reasons and you can't say that the latest unhappy Westeros wedding lacked drama, surely? Nasty ending for an episode if ever there was one.

It stuns me that people think fuck all has happened? The Starks are now literally in bed with the boltons, Tyrion was kidnapped, baylish has finally betrayed sansa, stannis is marching on winterfell, Jon snow is en route to make a deal with the wildlings to attempt to retake winterfell, dany has reopened the fighting pits, cersei has just all but declared war on the tyrells, Jamie has been imprisoned by the dorn and the mountain is going to appear in all his monstrous glory.

Nah, fuck all has happened. Just story development.

Haven't read the books. Have heard "at the edges" (as I'm trying to avoid spoilers) that they basically run out of steam.

The Thorns/Cersei moment was okay, fine, but in any other episode from a previous year that would have been the filler not the meat (e.g. "I'll have you strangled in your sleep" was an aside in an already full episode). That one wasn't a Red Wedding or a Purple Wedding, it was a White Wedding (or whatever the Rob/Volantian wedding got called).

Each week for the last few years I'd be on tenterhooks for the next GOT. Not this year.

It's not that there's anything wrong with it except we're 60% of the way through and barely a thing of interest has happened let alone any gobsmacking moments.

The Starks are now literally in bed with the boltons, Tyrion was kidnapped, baylish has finally betrayed sansa, stannis is marching on winterfell, Jon snow is en route to make a deal with the wildlings to attempt to retake winterfell, dany has reopened the fighting pits, cersei has just all but declared war on the tyrells, Jamie has been imprisoned by the dorn and the mountain is going to appear in all his monstrous glory.

Nah, fuck all has happened. Just story development.

Tyrion was on his way to see the Queen anyway. All that has changed is his travelling companion.

The Baelish revelation was good, but that's just a statement of intent not a deed.

Stannis is marching on Winterfell is preamble, a statement of intent, the deed of interest has yet to be.

Cersei has had someone arrested for wearing lacy pink underwear. OOOOOOOOOOOOH this is the Game of Thrones I know and love and dread?

Jon will be going to the Wildlings, but it is a statement of intent not a deed.

Dany's fighting pits haven't been seen, it's a statement of intent (that we the viewer will be involved at some point) not yet a deed.

Jamie has been captured, and by seemingly the most reasonable ruler in the 7 Kingdoms. What could come of that I wonder? It's not like he has been killed.

The Mountain is going to appear, but that's a statement of intent. It's not yet a deed.

Nah, fuck all has happened. Just story development

It has been a season of exposition, certainly compared to previous seasons.

Edited by viberunner

I would respectfully suggest you check the dictionary definition of exposition. Then look up storytelling. Then have a long hard think about which applies closest to this season of GoT.

I admit it has been fairly restrained, even slow at times, but I have yet to be bored.

Was willing Theon with every fibre of my being to massacre that horrible little weaselly nasty fucker.

He has been stretched to breaking point, flayed inside and out now, almost. I wonder if he will eventually snap.

Ramsey was as brutally, brilliantly horrible as ever, genuinely one of the best characters for me, up there with Baelish for pure evil.

Ramsay is definitely my favourite part of this series. can always guarantee he'll be up to something interesting or twisted

another okay but not great episode. there's been an awful lot of build up to stuff without the actual payoff this series, and i have a feeling a lot of that payoff won't come until further down the line (another series). the fact that there are so many separate stories going on at the moment is definitely a huge factor of it seeming slow

I would respectfully suggest you check the dictionary definition of exposition. Then look up storytelling. Then have a long hard think about which applies closest to this season of GoT.

For starters exposition and storytelling are not antonyms. Exposition is a type of storytelling, or perhaps rather a storytelling device or tool.

exposition (n.) dictionary.gif late 14c., "explanation, narration," from Old French esposicion "explanation, interpretation" (12c.), from Latin expositionem (nominative expositio) "a setting or showing forth; narration, explanation," noun of action from past participle stem of exponere "put forth; explain; expose" (see expound).

Exposition can be worldbuilding, it can be preamble, it can be narration, it can be explanation; what it's not is doing. Now look through that list I wrote, a whole lot of promises, a whole lot of "we will", very little actually happening.

A lot of telling, a lot of statements of intent, a lot of people explaining something interesting will be happening, a lot of setting the scene for the final episodes... but not a lot of showing.

Thus far it has been a season of exposition, not action.

Edited by viberunner