The example debate !

Guest ramragon

I can't remember ever seeing a response like the one that they've had for the announcement as example as 3rd headliner, of the near 400 comments the organisers have received on facebook up till now there are hardly any favourable ones, certainly nothing on par with the abuse they seem to be getting !

Just wondering what people's opinions are on here, because all I can gather from Facebook is that he is either a turd, a cock or simply shite (to list a few selective offerings!). Personally he's not for me but the wife an 13 year old will be happy to see him. Suits me because in past years I've found it tough to convince them to see acts, wife's musical tastes aren't as broad as mine !

Do people see the festival as selling out by booking example ? Or do they not rate him as an artist ? I can see his credentials to be headliner and if Maximo Park and the charlatans have done it in the past then he certainly seems a bigger draw than either of them in the past few years.

Like I said, I'm not that fussed personally but I find the reaction he's received a bit over the top

Edited by ramragon

It's worth noting that there are nearly 900 likes of that post as well though, which would maybe suggest that the majority think it's a good announcement. I'm not fussed personally. People have said he's really good live so might go and have a look, depending on what's on at the same time. I personally really like the line up this year, there are just the right amount of acts I want to see, which leaves plenty of room for discovering new stuff.

Saw him before Noel Gallagher and Stone Roses at V Festival, we stayes at the back for him, not our scene, but the crowd were nuts for him and ran right to the back. When he finished and Noel Gallagher was next the crowd emptied, was pretty sad to see. He will definitely pull a big crowd, but is he right for Kendal? The way V Festival has been the last 5 years, I guess it was to be expected. I have never been to Kendal, but I imagine it to be more like festivals were about 10-15 years ago, before they all started chasing the big bucks and booking mainly pop acts?

Edited by Marc Whiffen

Saw him before Noel Gallagher and Stone Roses at V Festival, we started back for him as not our scene, but the crowd were nuts for him and ran right to the back. When he finished and Noel Gallagher was next the crowd emptied, was pretty sad to see.

You know what it takes a lot for me personally to feel sorry for anyone but on this occasion I genuinely feel for the festival !

The Facebook drama all though amusing is maybe a bit harsh .

The line up this year seems better not enough to make me go cos I'm all KC'd out for various reasons .

If you look at last years line up and think back to the atmosphere around the mainstage it was lacking atmosphere it was flat in places and 2 of the headline bands lost the crowd a few times during their sets .

With example you will be entertained I'm sure of it , is it not better to feed of the energy of the youth and have a good time or would you prefer to stand there occasionally nodding your head to some 90s washed out indie band getting another payday ?

What a difference a year makes the fans were begging for a example type act last year !

I popped home yesterday lunchtime soon as I opened the door the misses came charging up an gave me the puppy dog eyes and sticky out bottom lip and says "it's example for KC " I replied " yeah I know but this year is all about the wickerman and square sausage cooked by cnumbty "!

I'm sure you will all be on here raving about example come the 4th of august ! You will have a blast !

I must admit I'm still waiting for something to get the juices flowing. I'd have put Suede and Frank Turner as sub headliners, and Example feels like a potential headliner from a couple from years ago. I'm thinking that there is still some main stage quality to announce, particularly if the Mondays are in the dance tent.

Still, I hardly watch the main stage, and I am doing my homework on Team Me and Champs etc. I am still waiting for a stellar (for me) Johnny Marr/Edwyn Collins sort of announcement, but I might have to make do with The Membranes, and Dub Sex in the House Party

I'm confused I personally don't think example is a bad announcement. If I want to see my favourite band or artist I go to their gig . Ive come to terms that festivals evolve. Once festivals increase the capacity budgets change as does the demographic. Only been to Kendal last year. So not very different to me than say basement jaxx ? But I'd probably fit in better at download or sonisphere with my music taste

We were dreading him last year at rockness especially since he was following fatboy slim but he was amazing. Totally hooked into the energy of the crowd and the place was bouncing. Every song turned out like a 12 inch version with loads of great beats at the end. He's still a bit of a cock though.

I think for sheer energy and enthusiasm example could be a good booking. His songs are catchy and will please the younger generation but theres enough entertainment value to keep the older ones watching from afar. I saw him at creamfields 2 years ago and he drew a big crowd even though it was a rainy mid afternoon slot. The problem I have with the curent line-up is that there's no act that particularly thrills/excites me. Suede didnt really do it for me even when they were big and I can't see frank turner bashing out a set to remember but like a lot of others i'll be scouting the smaller areas for more interesting stuff.

not my cup of tea at all. When I started going to festivals (leeds 99) it was about going to see some guitar bands and that has stuck with me. I am not interested in all this nonsense.

I hope it will sell out so I can get rid of my ticket

There's so much more to get all bent and out of shape over ! Example will be 10 x better than the Lancashire hotpots ! It's a travesty it's gone down so badly compared to the hotpots !

Ohhh yeah an frank turner !

Give example a break anyone that gets this mashed up gets my vote!

Edited by LOCHLAND5

Because of gorfields post I wondered what my first festival was . Having worked it out it was Phoenix festival in 1993 . I'm old . Gorfield why did you expect guitar bands at a festival which doesn't market itself as such ?

Some of you will realise this and some may not,and I ain't having a go at any one individual on these forums or anywhere else ,but a good proportion of people who go to festivals and make these comments don't know a lot about music or festivals,they only go because it's fashionable and the in thing to do,I've read comments saying "Example who's he" or "never heard of him" which I think just about proves my point.

In my opinion the whole Facebook reaction is over the top, there are bands/artists I want to see and some I don't, i'm not a fan of example but do know a few tunes, I can't say I hate them but like a lot of people on here I'm more into my bands, I probably won't go see him unless I've had too many Jàger and fancy dancing like a cock, there is so much to do at kendal and with being able to get to places within 5mins unlike most big festivals it's probably why I look forward to it every year, just drink real ale and have a good time.