Radio 1's Big Weekend 2014, Glasgow

Guest Zac Quinn

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time R1 did a Big Weekend in Scotland the 'special guests' turned out to be Franz Ferdinand and Mylo, it'll be those kind of acts, not headliners from the year before. If Paolo Nutini wasn't already announced I'd predict him but he is so I have no idea.

reasons you might not announce bands in advance, in order:

a) they're not totally confirmed yet

b ) they're the sort of act you don't want hordes of 'that sort' hanging around outside trying to jump the barriers to get to see

c) they're being non-commital about turning up

d) they have a hairdressing appointment it's 50/50 they can get out of as things stand

e) they're headline status

Edited by Stuart1000

I'm sure the police will be far more comfortable about the prospect of dealing with a bunch of teenage girls than a load of drugged-up students determined to 'av it large' with Calvin Harris. Particularly after recent occurances at another dance event in Scotland. Twitter fangirls are all talk, I'd say if any turn up at all it'll be in the low hundreds at most.

Moving on from who the special guests might be, where do we think they'll play? We already know 1D are opening, so the guests aren't opening, Coldplay and Example are headlining so the guests aren't headlining, Ed Sheeran isn't playing lower than sub anywhere yet this summer so it's unlikely the guest will be subbing, likewise Lily Allen isn't playing lower than third anywhere so far this summer so it's unlikely the guest will be third down. Only spots I can see are subbing Example on INMWT or mid-afternoon on main, both of which would rule out pretty much everyone except your Franz Ferdinand-size acts.

Edited by Zac Quinn

Moving on from who the special guests might be, where do we think they'll play? We already know 1D are opening, so the guests aren't opening, Coldplay and Example are headlining so the guests aren't headlining, Ed Sheeran isn't playing lower than sub anywhere yet this summer so it's unlikely the guest will be subbing, likewise Lily Allen isn't playing lower than third anywhere so far this summer so it's unlikely the guest will be third down. Only spots I can see are subbing Example on INMWT or mid-afternoon on main, both of which would rule out pretty much everyone except your Franz Ferdinand-size acts.