T in The Park 2015

Matt42

If thats your argument for IOW, why did that not sell out then? IOW manages to book similar acts to T, but they have to put them in higher slots for example James and You Me At Six being third down whilst at 5th and 6th down. T is much stronger in its appeal to the most likely demographic to attend.

It doesn't sell out for various reasons - partly because the festival market in the south of England is saturated competition wise, and partly because of the additional costs involved in getting to the Isle.

T has no real competition in Scotland and still can't sell out.

I'm just passing comment on the fact prior to the change in direction they used to sell out every year - the fist time they sold out well in advance was I believe 2004 then from like 2006-2011 it was a chore getting tickets.

In your opinion why did the festival stop selling out (keeping in mind it used to sell out at increased prices every year and they've held ticket prices for the past few years and not sold out)?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't sell out for various reasons - partly because the festival market in the south of England is saturated competition wise, and partly because of the additional costs involved in getting to the Isle.

T has no real competition in Scotland and still can't sell out.

I'm just passing comment on the fact prior to the change in direction they used to sell out every year - the fist time they sold out well in advance was I believe 2004 then from like 2006-2011 it was a chore getting tickets.

In your opinion why did the festival stop selling out (keeping in mind it used to sell out at increased prices every year and they've held ticket prices for the past few years and not sold out)?

T doesn't just attract scotland residents though, many English people attend such as myself who consider/go to other festivals in the UK/abroad. 

It was the same with Reading/Leeds that used to sell out also, now never. I think its due to the lack of real headliners due to competition and the rise of ticket prices overall. All festivals used to sell better than they do now, as the cost of the ticket has gone up (as the recession and inflation occured) at the same time as festivals having to share headliners due to as you say oversaturation in the market and leading to festivals having very similar line ups (which T nor any festival could help, the industry was booming so more festivals grew) then a lot of people decided they only had reason to go to one festival due to the similarities and increased cost.

This was something T could not control, yes you could say T's line up in 2012/2013 was weaker than previous years and then attributed to some of this loss in sales, but festivals across the board other than Glastonbury saw a dip in ticket sales even when their line ups hadn't got any weaker (take Reading and Leeds in 2011/2012). I mean T's line up last year although not to everyones taste, had great strength overall, but again it was mostly shared with other festivals (take Ed Sheeran for example subbing and going on to headline 3 nights at Wembley but he was at V and Glastonbury).

So yeah although a long opinion I think thats mainly the reason T and other festivals dont sell well now, if ticket prices were lowered to the same as they were a couple of years ago it might sell better but obviously that'd never happen and I think T does its best to create a diverse, strong line up thats relevant to its target audience. Don't forget T does try book some of the acts it used to but due to competition in the market nowadays it struggles (take the Foo's Geoff stated he tried to book them this year I'm sure but couldnt).

Edited by Followill

Reading has sold out for the last 3 years. Leeds maybe not but it's closer to capacity than T. So is IOW. T chose to purely cater for the biggest subset of its attendees which was young pop fans and fucked the rest off. Daft move IMO but it allowed them to maximise profits at least in the short term. It's coming back to hurt them now I think but it'll take a lot to get the old repeat customers back as I and many others have found that the grass is very greener in other places. I'd love to see it though, proper legends as headliners, a variety in the line ups but also the side attractions, a real festival vibe. Anyways, enough nostalgia already, did I mention not to miss the Tijuana Bibles on Saturday. I shit you not. Do not miss the Tijuana Bibles. The Tijuana Bibles would be my headliners this year. Tijuana Bibles.

Don't think it even needs legends headlining (though Bowie/Fleetwood Mac etc is never going to go down badly), just needs the kind of depth and variety we saw in 2011. What a festival that was.

EDIT: and I agree, an expansion of the activities/entertainment outwith the 6 stages of music would go a long way to improving the festivals appeal

Edited by harryomatic

I agree but then disagree with giving T/Ellis stick for this years line-up.

I could see acts being put off by booking and then not necessarily getting paid had T been declined - but then surely DF could've set up 'deposits' or something for these acts who were not sure of signing up.

Yes TITP have gone towards dance/DJ culture which is the fad at the moment but then, where are all the great bands that were coming through in the noughties? There's not much at all.

2011 was a great year but then look at the line-up - half of the big/decent acts are either not producing/touring or are no longer.

The Maccabees are a brilliant band, hopefully that is true. I can't think of many others realistically that can actually play this year tbh.

Totally agree with the entertainment comments. I enjoyed the red bull stage? that was at the far back of the campsite a couple of year 2010-11? But it's been shite otherwise. Rockness had better entertainment on than T when I went in 09.

TITP biggest letdown this year is the way they have handled the campsite and general planning of StrathAllan - no-one is any of the wiser and its only three weeks away :banghead:

Anyone know if there's any information anywhere on shuttle busses from Gleneagles train station to T?

Grudging the fact city link are charging £33 for the bus from Aberdeen-Dundee (Aberdeen to T is £55 and Dundee to T is £22)

Do they check everyone's bags for alcohol when you enter the camp sites or are they quite lenient? Surely they aren't going to check bags full of sleeping bags and tightly packed clothes.

we're 17 and wanting to take a bottle of vodka each in.. reckon we'll get caught if its in a plastic bottle?

Do they check everyone's bags for alcohol when you enter the camp sites or are they quite lenient? Surely they aren't going to check bags full of sleeping bags and tightly packed clothes.

we're 17 and wanting to take a bottle of vodka each in.. reckon we'll get caught if its in a plastic bottle?

Depends, if it's quiet they will check nearly everyone, however if it's really busy they will let quite a few through without checking. 

The vodka will have to be in plastic bottles as no glass is allowed, but if they do find it you should be fine, I went at 16 and 17 and both times got asked for ID, just said i lost it or didnt have it, got in fine. It's really only drugs there looking for. So stick them down yer pants mate,