Rose-Colored Boy

Is Calvin Harris definitely a DJ set?  He was good when I saw him a few years back but I'd rather be bored by the Stereophonics for the zillionth time than watch someone play MP3's at a live music festival.

For the same reason I'll be giving Mark Ronson a miss.

Given all his other sets in the last few years it will definitely be a DJ set. Its show show and the experience you go see a DJ act in my opinion. With lights and pyro and everyone dancing, its usually a good time.

Mark Ronson's set might be a bit different but it could be a good show

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to do the Kasabian thing again but I've had that debate twice already today so nah.

Only twice, been a slow day then haha. How many people that regularly use these forums are actually going to V this year? I think it must be less than the last year, its been quite sparse on here lately. If V put out a top level line up then it could start to rescue itself

Is Calvin Harris definitely a DJ set? He was good when I saw him a few years back but I'd rather be bored by the Stereophonics for the zillionth time than watch someone play MP3's at a live music festival.

For the same reason I'll be giving Mark Ronson a miss.

Paloma is a great alternative. I'll be at stereophonics as I really like them and it's been a while since I saw them

Just had a look through it again.. Perplexed why the mainstage doesn't go

Kasabian

Sam smith

Paloma faith

Hozier

Like almost every other fest - where Hozier is approximately fourth down.. Why is he playing third down? He's had one massive song but that's not enough! He was great at Glasto but that's because he was playing a suitable slot!

Can't help but think V was in a bidding war with him against reading, has to be the only answer!

Regardless, never been to V and this years lineup solidifies why... It's not intended for me. Those who are going and are excited have a good time, but this lineup is borderline offensive..

Just had a look through it again.. Perplexed why the mainstage doesn't go

Kasabian

Sam smith

Paloma faith

Hozier

Like almost every other fest - where Hozier is approximately fourth down.. Why is he playing third down? He's had one massive song but that's not enough! He was great at Glasto but that's because he was playing a suitable slot!

Can't help but think V was in a bidding war with him against reading, has to be the only answer!

Regardless, never been to V and this years lineup solidifies why... It's not intended for me. Those who are going and are excited have a good time, but this lineup is borderline offensive..

Surprised Hozier is that high up too. I think Paloma wants to say she headlined a stage this year at V, so she maybe accepted the Arena slot. Your idea about why Hozier is that high up is a fair one I think, im surprised that V havent put Courteeners 3rd and Hozier 4th. Unless V have tried to think about clashes and dont want to clash him with another more popular V act (ie Mark Ronson)

I went to V the last 2 years and I arent going this year. I would go for maybe £75 for the weekend, but not £200

They normally announce the comedian day splits by now don't they? Wonder why they haven't this year.

Also seems a shame they didn't get Jess Glynne and Clean Bandit on the same day so they could feature in eachothers sets. Same for Olly Murs and Ella Eyre, as she sometimes does Demi's vocals on 'Up' when he performs it live. Thinking about it, Ella Henderson would have been ideal to sing Emeli Sande's parts in 'Beneath Your Beautiful' with Labrinth.

Edit: Just seen that Ella Henderson has actually performed Beneath Your Beautiful with Labrinth before. Shame, I can't see any artists featuring in eachothers sets with these day splits but there was alot of potential otherwise. Wretch 32 and Example also have a song together but are performing on different days too.

Suppose Paloma and Sigma could team up for Changing but I think that's it.

Edited by Hello1

They normally announce the comedian day splits by now don't they? Wonder why they haven't this year.

Also seems a shame they didn't get Jess Glynne and Clean Bandit on the same day so they could feature in eachothers sets. Same for Olly Murs and Ella Eyre, as she sometimes does Demi's vocals on 'Up' when he performs it live. Thinking about it, Ella Henderson would have been ideal to sing Emeli Sande's parts in 'Beneath Your Beautiful' with Labrinth.

Edit: Just seen that Ella Henderson has actually performed Beneath Your Beautiful with Labrinth before. Shame, I can't see any artists featuring in eachothers sets with these day splits but there was alot of potential otherwise. Wretch 32 and Example also have a song together but are performing on different days too.

Suppose Paloma and Sigma could team up for Changing but I think that's it.

The Jess glynne one is presumably on purpose as I imagine she wants to get away from that a little bit. Considering loads thought she was actually a member of clean bandit last summer!

• 2 weeks later...

What's the best price people think you'll be able to get weekend camping tickets for? Not seen any below £170 on GetMeIn so far.

Might be able to get something like 2 for £300 or something, but I think this year is the least exciting and least talked about year in recent times

Local press in Shropshire and Staffordshire are having lots of free ticket give always so worth looking out for those if you after free tickets. Which might then not be that good value for the weekend!

Local festival in Shrewsbury in September has also been cancelled so big gap in my late summer festivals. Just can't get excited by the V Festival line up though

I haven't posted on here for years. I'm a V veteran from the early years, time has passed and nowadays I take my kids. V was always outdone and perhaps outbid by Reading / Leeds when it had pretensions of being something a bit more than just a pop & dance festival. Perhaps that was down to the goal of generating the biggest profit (in other words it preferred to hire acts with a cheaper price tag than Reading and also getting a few big draws in to sell tickets like Kylie or Robbie way back in the past). Or perhaps it was down to V never being seen as cool or as relevant as Reading/Leeds to "serious" bands. In my opinion it has always been down to the P&L, selling tickets and keeping the sponsors happy.

Around about 2009 things changed a lot - in my opinion for the worse - as it slowly but surely stopped trying to cater for anything but the mass market. To think that Radiohead, Sonic Youth, Queens of the Stone Age, Pixies or even Coldplay once played V does my head in. Looking at this year's line-up they really are scraping the barrel, with even more one-hit wonders, dinosaurs and talent show runners-up. They have even given up on the newer bands and converted the other tent back in to a Dance Tent. I don't have a problem at all with a Dance Tent as such, but they have certainly cut down on the variety of acts available. I don't even mind them having the likes of Beyoncé, Rihanna or Justin Trousersnake as headliners, as long as I can find a little tent somewhere with something new or appealing to catch. I know am getting older and tastes move on, but apart from Chvrches, Kasabian, Marina, Courteeners, De La Soul and Charlatans I am really struggling to find anything to get excited about seeing this year. I've been to other festivals such as Latitude which lays on amazingly eclectic line-ups without I imagine busting the budget.

Amazing to think V sold out in less than 2 hours in 2011. Money today is tight for many, but I feel V has shot itself in the foot and the tired, samey line-up has to be part of the reason why tickets haven't sold out in recent years. If this trend continues one wonders if V's days are numbered...

Afternoon folks,

Just back from Kendal Calling and now looking forward to V Fest.

Looking for some advice before me, my girlfriend and daughter (11) turn up on the Friday at Weston. 

- What time do they open the campsites on the Friday?

- Is there a family campsite? Needs to have shower though.

- Which campsite  is the closet to the carpark?  Do you get a choice?

- Is there a map available for the site? 

Afternoon folks,

Just back from Kendal Calling and now looking forward to V Fest.

Looking for some advice before me, my girlfriend and daughter (11) turn up on the Friday at Weston.

- What time do they open the campsites on the Friday?

- Is there a family campsite? Needs to have shower though.

- Which campsite is the closet to the carpark? Do you get a choice?

- Is there a map available for the site?

Also just got back from Kendal! unfortunately it's gone from family friendly chilled vibe to something...different. I won't be going back which is a shame as I loved it in 2012 and 2014.

Campsites are 8am, no to family campsites and if I remember rightly the ones closest to the car park are the noisy ones (red and blue?) but it's been a couple of years so other people will have to help there. Yes you can camp wherever you want.

Your best chance of a family friendly type campsite is as far from the arena as possible but even then nowadays and with this lineup I don't think it'll make a huge difference as the demographic is teenagers of the type you saw this weekend (and maybe some of the mancunians that were stumbling about) so you'll probably just have to put up with the party people wherever you are.

I think you have to pay for the map with the programme / lanyard with times on.

Edited by efcfanwirral

Thanks for this.  We stayed in 'The Shire' at Kendal and wasn't too bad to be honest.  I have read a few times how different the feeling was this year at Kendal - such a shame. 

I know V is going to be a very different experience and I think I'm sort of prepared for that as I remember being a teenager myself back at V97/98.

I'm just curious about the walk from car park. I did find this map and wondered how accurate it still is?

53ec5ca478cf3-weston-customer-map-2014-a

Thanks for this. We stayed in 'The Shire' at Kendal and wasn't too bad to be honest. I have read a few times how different the feeling was this year at Kendal - such a shame.

I know V is going to be a very different experience and I think I'm sort of prepared for that as I remember being a teenager myself back at V97/98.

I'm just curious about the walk from car park. I did find this map and wondered how accurate it still is?

53ec5ca478cf3-weston-customer-map-2014-a

Looks about right -the walk isn't that bad especially if you arrive early like you are. I doubt you'll be walking much further to get to a camp site than you did to the shire this weekend to be honest. Maybe a bit more if you want to get away from the busy sites. I'd avoid red, apart from that it's probably fine. I've done hem all over the years and red is mental, gold is a long walk to the arena but very quiet . guess it depends which car park you end up in. Edited by efcfanwirral

The Weston site has remained quite similar for a number of years, so think that map should be quite accurate

You do normally have to pay for the guide or lanyard to get a copy of the map, but there is normally a big one at the gate near the ticket/wristband exchange

If ticket sales are as bad as they sound there might be fewer camp sites this year.

If 97 was your last V be warned it has changed a lot - much younger hyped up crowd, and very little after 11pm entertainment. This leads to very noisy camp areas and despite being a pretty seasoned festival goer I really don't like the atmosphere in them and no longer stay on site

If you want a decent quiet night especially with younger children, look into camping off site. Some decent places not far from Weston Park and as the arena music only runs 12pm to 11pm you don't miss out on anything by camping off site