Pukkelpop 2014

TheNewUnion

Lowlands just added the following: Stromae | Volbeat | St. Vincent | Jonathan Wilson | Royal Blood | The Asteroids Galaxy Tour | Larry And His Flask | Neck Deep | Josef Salvat | Congo Natty | The Growlers | The Barons of Tang | Bongo Botrako | Marmozets
Gonna assume a few of these are possibilities right?

Isn't it more like first signing onto a wait-list, and the number you get determines when it's your turn to try to get one at the entrance on Wednesday? I'm not 100% sure, but it always seemed like a really weird idea to me to go all the way to the festival and then just hope you're high up on the list enough to get one?

What do you think about the new design of the web page? I prefer the old way to show the line-up, with the name of the bands with different sizes, and in an order similar to their slot in the " still unkown" stage... Now they are in alphabetical order and it's imposible to imagine when will play each band...

thanks guys

What do you think about the new design of the web page? I prefer the old way to show the line-up, with the name of the bands with different sizes, and in an order similar to their slot in the " still unkown" stage... Now they are in alphabetical order and it's imposible to imagine when will play each band...

id be fine with it presented as it is if they at least kept a poster in the same ilk as previous years.

Frequency Festival in Austria just added the following: Goldfish, Crystal Fighters, The Glitch Mob, Kele Okereke (DJ set), Dub FX, Bear Hands, Darkstar, Illskilzz, Fourward, Body&Soul+Disaszt, Wax Wreckaz, MC Daxta.

This festival is from August 13-16, so quite some possibilities for any overlap. Anyone feel like checking the schedules of these bands? :P
Some surprisingly big names up here though, I wouldn't mind having Glitch Mob or Darkstar coming over! My mates are really into Goldfish who are apparantly huge but I've somehow missed entirely. I'm kind of over Crystal Fighters though, last year was pretty dissapointing imho.

Tinie Tempah, Jimmy Eat World, American Authors, Dan Croll, FKA Twigs, Horse Thief, Kwabs, Oscar And The Wolf, Ryan Hemsworth, Wallace Vanborn, Actress, Arcane Roots, The Bohicas, Cage The Elephant, Drenge, Kadavar, Eyedress, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Joris Delacroix DJ Set, Raving George, The Van Jets, Wovenwar, Amatorski, BRNS, Float Fall, James Vincent McMorrow, Mapei.

+ Tinie Tempah, Jimmy Eat World, Amatorski, The Van Jets, Oscar And The Wolf, Float Fall, Raving George, Wallace Vanborn, BRNS, American Authors, Dan Croll, FKA Twigs, Horse Thief, Kwabs, Ryan Hemsworth, Actress, Arcane Roots, The Bohicas, Cage The Elephant, Drenge, Eyedress, Joris Delacroix, Kadavar, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Wovenwar, James Vincent McMorrow and Mapei.

Edit: Sorry! I posted at the same time that Dietediet!

Edited by johnybegood

Neat, wasn't expecting a new announcement this soon already! The Van Jets are really solid, check them out. Fully expecting them to take a Main Stage slot by now, or at least late afternoon in the Marquee. Also Raving George kills it in the Boiler Room every time, and I liked Float Fall last year (?) in the Wablief.
Nothing that really stands out as a must-see for me though, but I'll have to check out the ones I don't know.
EDIT: Really fond of Eyedress and FKA Twigs, definitely checking their performances out! Also Joris Delacroix since I'm not above a plain trance set. :)

Edited by Snorefest

Been going through the Youtube videos on the website and seems like this announcement has a lot of bands that will likely play one of the Club, Castello or Wablief. Dan Croll, Drenge and Eyedress sounding good on first listen and looking forward to seeing Joris Delacroix and Actress on the dance front.

Don't think we're going to get anything too major now, although they have surprised us in the past by throwing in a sub quite late. Just done a quick count up and we're currently at 147 acts (48 Thurs, 53 Fri and 46 Sat) so that's 3/4 of the line up. There's still probably another 15-20 Belgian acts to come so that doesn't leave a lot else.

Edit: Joris Delacroix is not showing up on the listings anymore, there's just a space where he was???

Edited by Semprini

I'm a bit gutted about the lack of heavy bands this year. There are a few but last year there was LOG, Opeth, Slayer(before the bailed), Gojira, Killswitch, Cult of luna, While she sleeps, Sylosis, Architects and Deftones as well as all the other stuff from different genres. Who is going to play the metal tent this year that is as big as those bands?!

Etienne De Crecy, get in!!!!

That's my Proxy moment right there.

Haha, will be a good way to end the festival, especially if it turns out to be a similar experience to Proxy!!

Wasn't expecting any new names for a week or two so this is a nice surprise. Be very interested to see what the Superdiscount 3 show is like and will also do some research on the others. Managed to get hold of Dan Croll's album (from the previous announcement) and I absolutely love it. It's the first one I've listened to this year that has immediately jumped out at me so he'll be a definite on my list come August. Been listening to quite a bit of Kadavar as well and will be popping along to see them too. Also enjoying the stuff I've heard from Flume and Submotion Orchestra so my list is quickly building up.

Quite surprised that Friday and Saturday haven't sold out yet as 500 tickets isn't a lot really. Was told on my recent visit to Hasselt by a good friend who is quite well connected to the festival that they have reduced the number of combi tickets this year as they make more money from selling day tickets. That would go some way towards explaining why they all went so quickly but it looks like it will sell out in record time this year anyway.

Been thinking that in light of recent events and their rising popularity, the organisers will need to give some serious consideration to what they do with Disclosure. Obvious place is the Dance Hall but I think there would be some major crowd congestion if they play there. They reputedly had 40,000 watching them each weekend at Coachella and I think there will be a huge number of people who want to catch them at PKP. They won't be Main Stage so that only leaves the Marquee, which has the added advantage of the outside screen and the surrounding area where people can stand and watch. Hopefully they will go on from 12.45-2am but that might mean a potential clash with Deadmau5, which would annoy a lot of people. Also looks like Portishead may well be on the Main Stage judging by the wording on the announcement about the limited Friday and Saturday tickets.

Been thinking that in light of recent events and their rising popularity, the organisers will need to give some serious consideration to what they do with Disclosure. Obvious place is the Dance Hall but I think there would be some major crowd congestion if they play there. They reputedly had 40,000 watching them each weekend at Coachella and I think there will be a huge number of people who want to catch them at PKP. They won't be Main Stage so that only leaves the Marquee, which has the added advantage of the outside screen and the surrounding area where people can stand and watch. Hopefully they will go on from 12.45-2am but that might mean a potential clash with Deadmau5, which would annoy a lot of people. Also looks like Portishead may well be on the Main Stage judging by the wording on the announcement about the limited Friday and Saturday tickets.

They're going to make Deadmau5 and Disclosure clash, that's my guess. There's no other way to not have crowd issues during Disclosure.

And the Dutch news message didn't say anything about main stage. Still believing that Portishead will be a marquee headliner. Geoff Barrow hit out at being on the same stage as popular acts at festivals, and there's the rumour that they'll only take slots which have them playing in the dark. So I can't see them accepting a slot in between Snoop and QOTSA at 8-9pm.

Still believing that Portishead will be a marquee headliner. Geoff Barrow hit out at being on the same stage as popular acts at festivals, and there's the rumour that they'll only take slots which have them playing in the dark. So I can't see them accepting a slot in between Snoop and QOTSA at 8-9pm.

Yeah I've heard this rumour too and frankly I think it's true. Last year at Best Kept Secret they were one of the biggest bands on and still played the second stage (a tent), which was completely packed already 30 minutes before the show started.

Here's my assumption: Deadmau5 to close the Main Stage and Disclosure in the Boiler? Including that outside area, the Boiler's able to take a massive amount of capacity. In 2010 they did a similar thing IIRC: Prodigy on the Main, Deadmau5 in the Boiler.

I'm a bit gutted about the lack of heavy bands this year. There are a few but last year there was LOG, Opeth, Slayer(before the bailed), Gojira, Killswitch, Cult of luna, While she sleeps, Sylosis, Architects and Deftones as well as all the other stuff from different genres. Who is going to play the metal tent this year that is as big as those bands?!

They've got quite a few by now though right? NOFX, Bombus, PUP, Touché Amore, August Burns Red, Deafheaven, Perfect Pussy, Lagwagon, Wovenwar, Bring Me The Horizon, The Hell, the Flatliners, Of Mice and Men are all surely to play the Shelter (maybe BMTH on the Main?).

Then you've got a few desert rock esque bands like Truckfighters, Kadaver, Red Fang, Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats -- guessing most of those will be Shelter or perhaps the Marquee.

Lastly, I'm not sure if these really qualify as 'heavy', but Marmozets, Lonely the Brave, Neck Deep, You Me At Six, Deaf Havana and A Day To Remember could all be potentially put in the Shelter too... Or maybe spread out over a few other stages, like Club & Marquee. Might've missed a few bands.

Although I do agree that only a few of these are as big as LOG/Gojira/OPeth/KSE... But this year there's more heavy stuff I'm interested in than ever before, so maybe I'm not the best judge. :)

And the Dutch news message didn't say anything about main stage.

Well it says it on both the English and French pages:

On Saturday, August 16, Queens Of The Stone Age, Calvin Harris, Snoop Dogg aka Snoop Lion, Portishead and Jake Bugg will rock the main stage.

I personally don't think Portishead will play anywhere else than the Marquee but, unless it's a typo, you can't argue with what comes from the horses mouth....

Agree that Deadmau5 and Disclosure will probably clash, which is a pity. Saw Deadmau5 in both 2008 and 2010 (the former was much better) but he's started knocking out a few techno tunes of late so wouldn't mind seeing how they come across live. I can't pass on Disclosure though so that's where I'll be if they directly overlap.

Snorefest - the Boiler is not set up for live bands, only DJs, so no chance of Disclosure playing there. Deadmau5 was definitely in the Dance Hall in 2010, which was incidentally part of a 5 band run that consisted of Magnetic Man, Major Lazor, Hot Chip, Deadmau5 and Ritchie Hawtin presents Plastikman, that I don't think will ever be beaten. Got some great, if hazy, memories of that night!

By the looks of things i'll be attending PKP alone now, so I was wondering if anybody on here has/will be doing the same?

Never traveled abroad alone so would be nice to possibly make some friends and meet up there. Is there a camp loner like some UK fests have? Thanks.

Snorefest - the Boiler is not set up for live bands, only DJs, so no chance of Disclosure playing there. Deadmau5 was definitely in the Dance Hall in 2010, which was incidentally part of a 5 band run that consisted of Magnetic Man, Major Lazor, Hot Chip, Deadmau5 and Ritchie Hawtin presents Plastikman, that I don't think will ever be beaten. Got some great, if hazy, memories of that night!

Oh didn't realise Disclosure played live now... Didn't they play a dj set in 2012? I don't remember seeing any keyboards. And yeah you're right, Deadmau5 was in the Dance Hall! That was a crazy year, if memory serves we saw the opening of the XX, raced on to get squashed at Prodigy and then caught the end of Deadmau5. And the next evening Soulwax/Flying Lotus/Pendulum/Yeasayer/2ManyDJs.

And yeah Deadmau5 in 2008 was so fun too, at like 4 or 5 in the afternoon? My friend turned to me at the end of that show and said "this guy's gonna be huge", those were prophetic words.

Would be a shame if Portishead really gets a Main Stage spot though, since Calvin Harris will probably be closing and QOTSA headlining, that'd put Portishead in the twilight at best. Then again they did a similar thing with NiN last year...