Crap bands and their crap songs

kaosmark2

I love The Strokes and haven't managed to see them love yet. But if I ever do, I know what I'm going to get. Anyone who is a fan knows exactly what Julian is like on stage, and they know the level of crowd interaction they are going to get. Expecting anything different would be like going to see Muse and being put off by all of the visuals.

debatable

Of course, but that's different from them being a generally dull live act. They turn up, play some songs, mumble a bit and fuck off, as a purely live spectacle (disregarding the actual music) it's not that different from what the Cure do. So why aren't the Cure derided for being a dull live act?

Edited by mrtourette

Absolutely, do people expect something different than their records? If they expect to be blown away by the energy or crowd interaction they're they're fucking stupid. The Strokes have been doing this long enough for people to know what the deal is.

Not everyone reads music forums and studies past live performances before going to gigs.

So why aren't the Cure derided for being a dull live act?

Sadly, they are by quite a lot of people. Including Neil who runs this site and Michael Eavis. As much as I disagree with them they are called a dull live act by quite a lot of people.

Edited by beau1

Sadly, they are by quite a lot of people. Including Neil who runs this site and Michael Eavis. As much as I disagree with them they are called a dull live act by quite a lot of people.

They're not by people who actually like their music though. I assume that was the point.

They're not by people who actually like their music though. I assume that was the point.

Michael Eavis doesn't like music?

As much of a Cure fan as I am and love them as a live act, I can see why people may find them a bit dull.

The Cure actually used to put in a far better 'show' than they do now, especially their openings to concerts. They also used to get highly praised for their lighting shows which they don't anymore.

Edited by beau1

But not to the point that the Strokes are. I'd imagine some of it is just bandwagon-jumping but the surprise and derision towards the Strokes' live performances (and specifically their live performance) stands out quite significantly when really they don't do any worse than a number of acts.

Not really.

Edited by mrtourette

Most of my friends thought The Cure were dull as fuck.

As we were leaving some geezer started singing Oasis, and my friend went "At least they're a proper band". Because, you see, a band doing a performance you don't like makes them a fake band.

Actually most of my friends' complaints were that they only knew 2 songs in a 2.5 hour set, which they knew would be the case beforehand. Sigh.

The Cure probably were dull as fuck but because I'm not 40 I was seeing Sleigh Bells instead

I found them dull in 2012 as I only knew a handful of hits but after listening to them endlessly late last year and managing to get tickets to the RAH show, I thought, based on the March show this year, they were one of the best live acts I've ever seen.