Early predictions

Guest Flaminglippy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember previous discussion before ( but can`t seem to find it ) about tribute acts like the complete stone roses. I thought it was a good shout as long as they are on in an afternoon slot. Anywayz, was watching a few Big Country vids last night and had almost forgotten about some of the top tunes they had when I was a nipper !

I realise that they are not really a " tribute act " but remember seeing them on the bill for a few fests over the last couple of years. Think the new bloke was making a decent fist of it so why not Big Country for KC 2014. Will never match the good old days but a few good singalongs...............

Remember previous discussion before ( but can`t seem to find it ) about tribute acts like the complete stone roses. I thought it was a good shout as long as they are on in an afternoon slot. Anywayz, was watching a few Big Country vids last night and had almost forgotten about some of the top tunes they had when I was a nipper !

I realise that they are not really a " tribute act " but remember seeing them on the bill for a few fests over the last couple of years. Think the new bloke was making a decent fist of it so why not Big Country for KC 2014. Will never match the good old days but a few good singalongs...............

Edited by Flaminglippy

Yeah that`s him. I know some follk won`t like it but think it`s him and 1 other newbie and the rest are from the original line up ( I think ). Don`t have a problem with them trying to make a coin out of some top tunes.

Just noticed Pixies and Chvrches are on Later next week. Has Jools seen KC`s 2014 wish list :ninja:

Have seen Jools and his orchestra a few times over the years. I would take him at KC.....Am I getting old ?

Again a wish list:

Ocean colour Scene (following the style of the last two Sunday headliners, would be a great booking)

Travis

Manics

Snoop Dog

Sum 41

The Hives

And a couple for the smaller stages

Jon Byrne

Paper Cranes

Now the weather has turned colder I can't wait for the summer to come back round, it will be my first Kendal Calling

Again a wish list:

Ocean colour Scene (following the style of the last two Sunday headliners, would be a great booking)

Travis

Manics

Snoop Dog

Sum 41

The Hives

And a couple for the smaller stages

Jon Byrne

Paper Cranes

Now the weather has turned colder I can't wait for the summer to come back round, it will be my first Kendal Calling

• 2 weeks later...

Embrace would be a great choice as 2nd on the bill to a Manics/ Stereophonics/ Travis headline.The Sunday from last year of the View, Inspirals, Feeder, James was amazing and what got us really hooked. If they could put anything that comes close to that again,I'll be one very happy camper!

Embrace would be a great choice as 2nd on the bill to a Manics/ Stereophonics/ Travis headline.The Sunday from last year of the View, Inspirals, Feeder, James was amazing and what got us really hooked. If they could put anything that comes close to that again,I'll be one very happy camper!

• 2 weeks later...

So looks like the Waterboys are on form and on a USA, Europe and UK tour till Christmas. Am I showing my age here or could they still be a draw in the summer ? They would do for me ( not as a headliner ). Some good tunes back in the day.

The Waterboys rock the boat at Fitzgerald Posted by: Chris Riemenschneider under Music Updated: October 20, 2013 - 11:55 PM
chrisr_1382330686_photo(6).JPG

Going in, Saturday’s sold-out concert by theWaterboys at the Fitzgerald Theater seemed like a perfect pairing of band and venue: elegant, old-world music played at an elegant, old theater that used to be called The World.

It certainly felt right for the first few songs, too. Frontman Mike Scott and his four bandmates kicked off the two-hour performance with “Strange Boat” and “Fisherman’s Blues,” both Celtic-flavored, bleeding-hearted, serene classics off the 1988 album “Fisherman’s Blues,” each of which shimmered gorgeously through the Fitzgerald. This was not a show where you wanted to order a last-minute beer when the house lights flashed the three-minute warning.

However, after a few more traditionalist-styled oldies (“A Girl Called Johnny,” “We Will Not Be Lovers”), the venue seemed more and more ill-suited to what Scott had in mind. On his first U.S. tour in six years with a full band, the 54-year-old Scotsman made the most of his sturdy ensemble, turning rockier and feistier as the show wore on -- to the point where it felt like the gig should’ve been booked at First Avenue instead. Heck, by the time the band offered its downright punky tear through “Don’t Bang the Drum” just before the encore, the Triple Rock even seemed like the right place for the gig, possibly with a mosh pit for those audience members without hip problems.

Instead, the sold-out crowd sat timidly through what were truly electrifying, hair-raising versions of “Glastonbury Song” and White Birds.” Fans did finally stand up and sing along to “The Whole of the Moon,” and they were back on their feet for the encore finale “Be My Enemy,” which had the intensity -- and pretty nearly the same rhythm and chords – as Dylan’s “Highway 61.” Scott playfully tacked on Danny & the Juniors’ “At the Hop” to keep the party rolling.

chrisr_1382330828_MikeScott.JPG

Mike Scott

There were some moments in between that merited sitting and soaking in Scott’s lush balladry, most notably the aged love song “You in the Sky,” as well as the piano-plunked gem “Spirit.” He and his lone heyday-era Waterboys bandmate of the night, fiddler Steve Wickham, played the Scottish/Irish traditional “Raggle Taggle Gypsy” as a duo – but even that one proved to be quite a rocking, riotous treat.

“Nice place,” Scott said of the Fitzgerald, recalling his prior gig there in 1996 on a solo-acoustic tour. “I’m glad I'm back with my confederates,” he added. So were the rest of us -- even those of us who felt confined having in our seats for such a truly thrilling, joyous concert.

Strange Boat / Fisherman's Blues / A Girl Called Johnny / We Will Not Be Lovers / Still a Freak / The Girl in the Swing / Song of Wandering Aengus / When Ye Go Away / Glastonbury Song / White Birds / If I Should Die Tonight (Marvin Gaye cover) / Spirit / The Whole of the Moon / I Can See Elvis / The Raggle Taggle Gypsy / Mad as the Mist and Snow / The Second Coming / Don't Bang the Drum ENCORE: Dunford's Fancy / You in the Sky / Be My Enemy / At the Hop (Danny & the Juniors cover)

Edited by comfortablynumb1910

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone remember when the headliners got announced last year? I've got early Feb in my head but i'm not sure if it was a bit earlier last year?? January?? If we get some headliners it might give us a clue as to what level they are aiming for this year i.e. aiming for the stars or scraping the gutters!

Just noticed that Manic Street Preachers are now TBC on these very boards for Glastonbury. The same as Lily Allen and Craig Charles who have came out and said they are defo playing. So if we can assume the Manics are doing Glastonbury in June, do we think that they will go on and tour the smaller festivals during the summer ?

Not a massive fan but I like enough of their tunes. Would be happy to see them headline KC a night.

Just noticed that Manic Street Preachers are now TBC on these very boards for Glastonbury. The same as Lily Allen and Craig Charles who have came out and said they are defo playing. So if we can assume the Manics are doing Glastonbury in June, do we think that they will go on and tour the smaller festivals during the summer ?

Not a massive fan but I like enough of their tunes. Would be happy to see them headline KC a night.