so whats peoples take on the picnic blanket....deckchair crowd?....

Guest thatcrazypenguin

I use chairs but always stayed at the back of the crowd, it was comon sence to me!

Also watched a fair few acts on John Peel and the amount of people who were sitting by the entraces where the supports came down and blocking it were stupid!

Something needs to be done about it, Inside tents and around edge no chairs, I set mine up outside the tent on the hill next to the camping and could still see very well so there is no issue with them in specific spaces.

The main arenas needs to have a line painted on the floor where there are no blankets and chair are allowed, bit like a penalty area!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think chairs from the mixing desk and back are fine up to about 5/6pm, then it's time to put them away for the evening. Don't particularly mind them coming out in between acts later in the day as long as they are folded up 5-10mins before when the acts are due to start.

Frankly, there's nearly always room up until early evening to have chairs or rugs around as it's rare that it's that busy. The one thing to bear in mind is that the edges of the Pyramid are nearly always busier than the middle. People walk up, then don't manouvre their way through so it seems busier than it is.

The Acoustic tent had "no chairs" signs, which makes sense to me. I agree with your suggestion: people can sit closer when it's not busy, and can still sit later on if they need to, just further back.

Kudos to cassiel1972 for the positive attitude, too.

I'm a chair user as my back doesn't cope with standing for long. So I sit at the back or in designated chair areas in places like the Acoustic. But use a bit of common sense. When placing a chair check with the people behind you that you're not blocking their sight lines.

As people said fine further back and out of the way, just use some bloody common sense...

Setting up picnic areas close to the stages/just outside tent exits isn't the best place for it, its the same thing during moving crowds that have bottle necks. A complete lack of any thought process by people just thinking about themselves.

Edited by LondonTom

While waiting for the Stones behind the 2nd barrier (the v shaped one fairly close to the stage), these 4 'adults' refused point blank to move their chairs to let someones girlfriend past so that she could be with him. It led to a bit of a confrontation and I must admit I joined in as I was annoyed at how immature they were acting. Eventually they gave in but really, what were they thinking!? I have a pic of them. Been trying to attach it but don't have a clue! How do you attach a pic!? Help!

Edited by sime

Oops. Wincing reading this, we 'edged' at Mumford but there was lots of space and we didn't seem to be causing any problems til suddenly it became obvious we were and put them away.

Oak tree line helpful for newbs like me who had no idea we were doing something wrong and basically just collapsed in an exhausted heap.

Chairs and mats in the pit for Primal Scream and Rolling Stones, couldn't believe it. People they had the audacity to moan when you moved past and stood in front of them sat down. It really was ridiculous.

I've no issue with anyone wanting to sit down and chill out but don't do it 6 rows from the front of the headline act. A group took up room that could have been filled by about 20 people by sitting down. So whilst everyone else is squashed around them, these lot dangle grapes into each others gob.

Had real issues trying to get into the stones, could see my friends about 50m away but we got fed up of the disapproving glares glares and people refusin to help us get through, despite politely asking. it was also dangerous trying to avoid the candle obstacle course so ended up stuck at thank.

I know it gets annoying when people keep walking through your group, some people were friendly but when you have to navigate through blockades of 6 or 7 chairs - some of which were not even being used!! Then it puts you in a negative mood! Phew rant over.

Gave up navigated back watched 40 mins with poor sound and went to public enemy.

Don't have anything against chairs just people need to know that people will want to get past and too expect it. Also, having those candles stuck in the ground 20 mins before the stones started wasn't safe.

Can't really understand all this hate for chair users, it seems some folk are completely intolerant to others unless they do things in the same way as them. Unfortunately not everyone is young and fit enough to stand for several hours and having a sit down now and again is the only way they can see some of the bands. Do those lucky enough not to have to sit down occasionally think others not so fortunate should not have the right to enjoy the festival or have to accept poorer viewing positions.

On the Saturday this year we almost didn't see any bands at all as my misses had a quite terrible bout of gastro- enteritis lasting eight hours from very early in the morning. It was so bad I considerd getting her an ambulance, however after a kind fellow camper gave us some dioralite and Imodium we managed to get it under control. However it left her feeling very weak and as such we went down from Worthy View with a chair just in case, arriving at the Pyramid stage just before Elvis Costello and getting a spot in the semi circle in front of the mixing desk. We had no intention of erecting the chair and leaving it set up, so we folded it away when not in use. But as it was she wasn't able to stand for the whole the time so we got out the chair when had to sit down to, but without the chair she would have not been able to even think of trying to see any of the bands.

One thing I found surprising this year at the Pyramid for the Stones was the little barriered semi circle in front of the stage was quite roomy and in all the times I have been there I have never seen it so thinly populated for a headliner, I think there must have been such a crush at the sides that after a certain point nobody could get in. Unlike the Friday when we saw Chic when it was so rammed it would have been impossible to unfold a chair in the middle of the set, there was plenty of room to do so for the Stones

Edited by gibbin82

the little barriered semi circle in front of the stage was quite roomy and in all the times I have been there I have never seen it so thinly populated for a headliner, I think there must have been such a crush at the sides that after a certain point nobody could get in.

We had no plans of getting into anywhere crowded but had some lovely sit downs to watch bands. We had some little stools so had a sit down at the flags during enter shikari so that I could eat my oggie in peace. Got very crowded with sitters towards the end though which was odd so we left. As Sinead O'Connor we sat on the stools just outside the posts that say no chairs beyond this point which I thought was fair enough. At Arctic Monkeys we arrived a few songs late and hiked up to the back path. Everyone at the back up there was sat down so we found a spot a few people in and had a lovely time with no one standing or trying to walk through. First Aid Kit was pretty empty so we sat on the floor on the flat out to the left and wasn't in anyone's way.

^^^^

They would create the same open space image from a distance .

Most of the problem i witnessed was the arrogant few who knew quite well,because they were told, that

it was getting dangerously packed at the front , yet still tried in their quest to get nearer.

I ended up in front of the mixing desk an hour before the Stones when my friends informed me there was a big group of them to the right and further back. I was on my own and i've wormed my way to the front of crowds several times with no issue but these countless groups of people sitting in circles and blocking everyone from passing were the worst i've ever encountered. It took me the good part of an hour to get to the meeting point by the second line of speakers.

I have no problem with people sitting down, and I completely understand the need for it during an hour and a half wait, but several of these groups packed together so tightly that there was no way of passing them, and the amount of evil stares and comments I recieved for doing something so horrible as going back from the front were a joke. Some nice sitter-downers did help me through and let me cut across, but i'd say 60-70% of them acted like children.

Edited by cathalc08