Daily Reviews - 54 days to go, 69 acts to go

Guest Pothuthic

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Angello: music-wise utter crap, however it would probably be just like any other DJ set, almost impossible not to have a good time, fast paced and energetic, dance acts are generally a safe bet to have a good time. Definitely wouldn't recommend listening to his music outside of a festival environment though.. 4/10

Jessie J: Admittedly, used to like a lot of chart music, Price Tag, Do It Like A Dude, Who's Laughing Now I remember the best. It's just pop isn't it really, I don't like them anymore, but I don't hate them either. That Laserlight I think is pretty crap though. She's not great, but there's a lot lot worse than her. 6/10

Jessie J hasn't got a bad voice, but it annoys me with all the wobbling woaaaah & n-n-n-niii business. 'Do It Like A Dude' is a pretty good song, but then she went a bit too generic with 'Domino' as I actually thought that was Katy Perry everytime I heard it on the radio. The chorus to 'Wild' is quite catchy but not keen on her other parts or the rapping.

I did see her at V the other year though & she put on a good live perfomance so i'll give her 6/10.

Steve Angello, I don't really know what to say. I've listened to that 'Yeah' that I found on youtube and it was just a bunch of noise, then that remix just was pretty awful.. I give him 3/10 for the 3 SHM songs I like. I'm sure it may be a different story if I experienced him live at a Festival.

Jessie J - watched her 2 years ago at V and made me feel naucious with her self appreciation and warbling - no doubt she can sing, but performance wise was way short. 5/10

Steve Angello - presuming this is a DJ set, difficult to review really! Last on in the tent steaming drunk should be good regardless - I'll go for a diplomatic 6.5/10

Steve Angello

Lights: cracking tune in my opinion, i love it.

Knas: Quite good, its quite enjoyable and live its pretty epic.

Yeah: Its a damn sweet tune, i love slow building dance songs.

He is great fun live and I would love to see him again so a good 8/10

Jessie J

Price tag: grates me

Nobody's perfect: average, nothing special, not abysmal

Do it like a dude: irritates me

2/10

Jessie J

(my babe but I'll try and be calm..)

'Big White Room' - astonishing vocal, touching lyrics when you know the context, the fact that there isn't a studio version is annoying though bc crowd

'Mamma Knows Best' - not the best song but I like the trumpets

'Wild' - nice enough in itself but let's hope the rest of the new album has less rappers..could do with the 'Wild wild wild woah oh woah oh woah oh woah oh' refrain from the end coming in earlier

9/10

Steve Angello

Gonna go with the songs that Muppetmark picked out because I've never heard any of his solo stuff myself

'Lights' - um, where are the lyrics? Nice enough beat but gets a bit repetitive after the fifth minute of it..

'Knas' - kinda the same. No lyrics, and repetitive (although less so than 'Lights'). Also from the comments section it seems like he's done a bit of a steal.i.am job on it so..

'Yeah' - much the same again. Video is good fun though.

Let's just hope he plays some SHM at V haha. 5/10

Steve Angello: Good songs to dance to, SHM stuff is better than most of his solo songs, but his remixes are pretty good. I would love to see him but I dont know how it will work out. I watched some videos of him DJing at various places and he looked enthusiastic about it all, so it looks like he would put on a good show

7/10

Jessie J: I like her songs but after hearing 'price tag' most of last year and her new one lately I am getting abit bored with her sound. I guess she would put on a decent show, and I would go watch her but I could miss her and not worry about it too much. I think third is pretty high up for her, but I guess she deserves the break

6/10

Your acts for today are;

• Labrinth
  • Lewis Watson
  1. Labrinth
  2. Lewis Watson
  3. James Skelly
  4. Olly Murs
  5. Lianne La Havas
  6. Tom Odell
  7. Katy B
  8. Beady Eye
  9. Conor Maynard
  10. Nell Bryden
  11. The Skints
  12. Diana Vickers
  13. The Fratellis
  14. Eels
  15. Hoffmaestro
  16. Gabrielle Aplin
  17. Kings of Leon
  18. Original Rudeboys
  19. Rita Ora
  20. Ellie Goulding
  21. K-Koke
  22. Tori Kelly
  23. Stereophonics
  24. Fun.
  25. Lucy Spraggan
  26. The Vaccines
  27. Emeli Sande
  28. Two Door Cinema Club
  29. Everything Everything
  30. McFly
  31. Maximo Park
  32. Laura Mvula
  33. Mark Owen
  34. Little Mix
  35. Basement Jaxx
  36. The Pigeon Detectives
  37. The Heavy
  38. Of Monsters and Men
  39. Nina Nesbitt
  40. 5ive
  41. Maverick Sabre
  42. Jaguar Skills
  43. Jamie Cullem
  44. Monsta
  45. A*M*E
  46. DJ Fresh
  47. The Courteeners
  48. Calvin Harris
  49. James Arthur
  50. Netsky
  51. Misha B
  52. Kendrick Lamar
  53. Benjamin Francis Leftwich
  54. Sam Smith
  55. Ocean Colour Scene
  56. Deacon Blue
  57. Silhouette
  58. Beyonce
  59. Moya
  60. Rudimental
  61. The Saturdays
  62. The Script
  63. Exit Calm
  64. James
  65. Jason Mraz
  66. Goldie Lookin' Chain
  67. Travis
  68. Lissie
  69. Ed Drewett
  70. Scouting For Girls
  71. Paloma Faith

Might be good with Lewis Watson as he is a relatively unknown act so we can learn about him

I couldn't believe that Lewis Watson is 20... he genuinely looks about 12, give or a take a year. Doesn't help that he dresses like a 12 year old and has a 12 year olds haircut..

Anyway, I listened to Into The Wild, It Could Be Better and Little Darling, they were nice tracks, his voice is okay, but they're not something I'd want to listen to at a festival, reminds me of Jack Johnson but with less oomph. His lyrics don't do much for me either, very generic hipster in love-esque. It's something you'd listen to on a sunny roadtrip maybe. He'll either evolve into a decent singer songwriter, or he'll just fade away. All in all, unless you're REALLY into his music, he's not something I'd go and see at a festival, because his tracks don't really go anywhere. 5/10

Labrinth.. I thought Beneath Your Beautiful was alright the first time I heard it, then I heard it another million times, and it's fucking dreadful and needs to burn in hellfire along with BOB - Airplanes and Owl City - Fireflies.

Earthquake is a funny track, and isn't too bad, I'd much prefer to listen to that at a festival than Lewis Watson. Let The Sun Shine is pretty repetitive, but again, it's not awful. Express Yourself, however, is dreadful, murdered the original, Eazy probably turns in his grave every time that gets played. Probably as decent a British pop wannabe rap artist as you're gonna get, but overall he's still shite, probably crap live too. 4/10

I think Labrinth is good, and I would happily see him and listen to him. I dont think he wants to be a full on brithish rapper, but he is a pop artist and I think he gets the crowd going. His voice sounds good on 'Beneath your beautiful' and on 'Last Time' and heseems to always get the crowd going for 'Earthquake'

7/10

I think Lewis Watson sounds abit like Ed Sheeran in 'Bones', and I like Ed and I like the song. The guitar playing is pretty good, but I dont think I would watch him unless he was low down the schedule and didnt clash with anyone for this song. Into The Wild, on the other hand, sounds worse in my opinion and I wouldnt listen to him singing it. Calling is somewhere in between them both, I like bits of it and so that I would give him a 5/10

Edited by daniel.k

Not a clue who Lewis Watson is and can't bothered to look him up....

Labrinth - I think of all the generation of Grime and UK Hip Hop artists, he is one of the more listenable. Actually seeing him in a couple of weeks (not on purpose, he is playing Newmarket Races and I happen to be there) - so my review will probably be better after then. Although my enjoyment will probably be based a lot on how much I win/lose on the day! 6.5/10

James Skelly is a great human being. And he's a Scouser, which makes it all the better :P

'In The Morning' was basically the song of 2005 haha.

I like their new sort-of bluesy sound going on with 'Do It Again'

'You've Got It All' is nice enough too

8/10

Olly Murs

Bit meh for me.

Can't stand his record with Rizzle Kicks. Although that's probably because I can't stand Rizzle Kicks.

'Dear Darlin' is cute, and he can sing it live too.

'Army of Two' is a bit nice.

Won't see him, but he's allright. Needs to stop bumming off Nick Grimshaw though. #TeamMoyles

6/10