Daily Reviews - 54 days to go, 69 acts to go

Guest Pothuthic

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basement Jaxx - sheer quality live. Tunes like Where's Your Head At?, Do Your Thing, Red Alert etc... Fantastic 9/10

Calvin Harris - I like a lot of his early stuff, bacome a lit stale of late (typical of modern acts being over exposed over short periods) but am still tempted to see him as seen Jaxx plenty before, and he does put together a good DJ set. 7.5/10

Calvin is just more popular now than jaxx

Do you know other Calvin songs or just Wednesday found love. Guessing you picked the highest rated jaxx song and a low rated Calvin one to prove your point but Calvin is just bigger at the moment as he doesn't do normal dance songs they are more pop which I thinks good for me

Basement jaxx - They have amazing hits like where's your head at, romeo, scars, good luck, red alert, do your think, raindrops etc. and they are one of the greatest dance acts around. Love them and buzzing to see them at brixton later this year. 10/10

Calvin harris - his old stuff was good - girls, acceptable in the 80s, merymaking at my place. I created disco was an amazing album, ready for the weekend is quite good, but 18 months is pretty dire. I'm happy when he said that most of his next album probably won't make the charts because that shows he's going back to his roots.

On what he will play at v festival 5/10, but his career as a whole so far is about a 7/10

If we must bring current popularity into things, then I just don't understand *why* Calvin is more popular than Jaxx? To my mind Calvin has been heavily overexposed this last two years or so. Which isn't exemplified better than in the fact that on his last album of 15 songs, more than half were singles? For me, that isn't what an album is about.

Jaxx headlined Glastonbury for a reason. Yes, it was several years ago, but they still did it.

Kings Of Leon

Eels

McFly

Conor Maynard

Tori Kelly

The Saturdays

Rudimental

Stereophonics

K-Koke

Two Door Cinema Club

Maverick Sabre

The Script

Nell Bryden

Jamie Cullum

Sam Smith

Monsta

Beady Eye

Lucy Spraggan

Travis

Olly Murs

Fun.

Scouting For Girls

Original Rudeboys

Misha B

James Skelly

Beyonce

Lissie

Benjamin Francis Leftwich

Katy B

Laura Mvula

Silhouette

Netsky

Nina Nesbitt

Paloma Faith

James

The Heavy

Jason Mraz

Ocean Colour Scene

The Skints

Pigeon Detectives

Moya

Kendrick Lamar

Little Mix

Ed Drewett

Of Monsters and Men

Tom Odell

A*M*E

Everything Everything

Goldie Lookin' Chain

Diana Vickers

5ive

So

Kings Of Leon

Eels

Kings of Leon seem to still be getting big gigs off the back of 'Sex on Fire', which seems absurd, unless I've missed something? Their records have always sold half-decently, but not at festival headliner level. Would make more sense to me if Phonics headlined and KOL subbed, rather than the other way around, but what's done is done.. 5/10

Eels seem alright. Like was mentioned when they were first announced, I think they'd be bigger if people actually realised that their most famous song was by them! Decent addition but will suffer from the clash with Sande, who might well get the second-biggest crowd of the weekend after Bey. 6/10.

Kings of Leon were an incredible band, and hopefully will be again. Their first three albums are brilliant, Only By The Night isn't a complete disaster, but it's not a patch on the first three, if you got rid of Use Somebody and Sex On Fire it would be a better album, Come Around Sundown however is just awful. The best thing is, the band actually acknowledge this and their sets are usually very heavy on the first three albums. Knocked Up is a great song as far as 7 minute songs go.

Aha Shake Heartbreak is my favourite album of theirs, and one of my favourite albums ever. If you've never heard it and base your opinion on KoL around Sex On Fire/Use Somebody, then you need to listen to.

Hopefully Mechanical Bull will be more like the first three albums, but as long as it's nothing like Come Around Sundown I'll probably be happy (unless it's worse).

Based on the fact they play mostly their first three albums, I'd give them a 9/10.

Eels are incredible, Mark Everett's a damn good musician, they're a perfect festival band, especially if it's a sunny weekend, really wish they were at R&L, but maybe next year. Mr E's Beautiful Blues, Fresh Feeling and Novocaine For The Soul are personal favourites of mine.

If I were to liken them to another band, I'd probably call them the lovechild of Radiohead and Sigur Ros, and if you don't like those bands either, then you're really missing out ;)

Eels are a must see, one of the best bands on the line up this year, and I seriously praise V for booking them, I just hope they don't get a really piss poor turn out. 9/10 too, they'll get a 10 when they come to Leeds :P

Kings of Leon: I dont listen much to them, havent heard much of their older stuff but I like Only by the night. 17, Crawl and Revelery are good songs as well as Sex on fire and Use Somebody. I remember hearing one of their last singles and I wasnt over keen on it. I wont be watching them as I will be at Calvin, but I would give them 6/10 as the older stuff sounds like it wouldnt be to my taste

6/10

Eels: R&L Band apparently so I will go 10/10 for them not getting them to annoy some R&L fans, but I would give them 4/10 based on New Alphabet and Fresh Blood

4/10

Kings of Leon - bit indifferent to them. Sound great live and some of their early stuff (Four Kicks, Red Morning Light etc...) are cracking, but always seem to be lacking that "spark" that makes a headliner. 7.5/10

Eels - great songs, not so inspiring live, which is a shame. However, Novacaine for the Soul is still an all time favourite of mine so they get marked up on that!!! 7/10

Everybody get your 10s out

Maverick Sabre

5ive

Maverick Sabre

5ive

Travis

Katy B

Conor Maynard

Benjamin Francis Leftwich

K-Koke

Paloma Faith

Misha B