Daily Reviews - 54 days to go, 69 acts to go

Guest Pothuthic

I'm going to do a few that I've missed as this is a good idea.. I'm at work and it passes some time :P so I might not be able to listen to new ones right now. The three song thing has gone a bit off the rails so I'll try bring it back.

Katy B

Her debut album surprised me. I see her as a Jessie Ware type and I think Katy is the better one. Katy On A Mission and Lights On are a bit obvious but both still work well on a night out. For me Broken Record and Perfect Stranger are her greatest work. I am not sure about the new single What Love Is Made Of but it has it's good moments.

Never seen her live but reckon she'd be pretty good!

7/10

Fun

They are a bit hit and miss for me. I think We Are Young would be better as a singalong at a festival than as a song on the radio. I always appreciated Some Nights more - I think it has an interesting structure and is more exciting. Carry On just bored me a bit. If we can count Just Give Me A Reason for Nate's feature than that is their greatest... as one of the top 5 sellers of the year they surely must play it? He sings well live.

6/10

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beyonce

Well surely - for what she DOES - nobody does it better? She gets a lot of stick considering she's hardly Rihanna and can back up her status with an incredible voice and a bloody good dance ability, neither of which Rihanna has. So even if it's true Bey doesn't write too much, she still majorly has the upper hand.

Legendary performance at Glastonbury (I was there) and coming out with Crazy In Love followed by Single Ladies (which is not one of my favourite songs at ALL) packed a massive punch and left me a bit speechless. I hope she trims the fat on some of what she performs - the likes of Diva or her more urban jams, but she is just so incredible at her job and has so many hits that she;s gonna blow people away.

9/10

Two Door Cinema Club

My absolute favourite band, I don't think they've done a song I don't like, though obviously I have preferences. I think people are being real hard on their second album. I do agree it has weaker points than the first which is pretty quality throughout BUT it has points that are just as good. Re-listen! The likes of Pyramid, Wake Up, Handshake and Someday are superb and that's beyond the obvious first two singles. I do agree that for a festival, What You Know, Something Good Can Work and Eat That Up, It's Good For You probably work better but I really believe they are so consistent throughout, and their lives shows are just atmospheric as anything and overall phenomenal. Lots of jumping, lots of happiness... I get the best feeling seeing them and this will be my tenth time doing so!

10/10

Mcfly

Jason Mraz

McFly

Jason Mraz

Olly Murs

Travis

Jamie Cullum

Ed Drewett

Netsky

K-Koke

The Skints

Silhouette

James

Pigeon Detectives

rudimental

Diana Vickers

Of Monsters and Men

Little Mix

James Skelly

Sam Smith

Tom Odell

Everything Everything

Original Rudeboys

Lucy Spraggan

Paloma Faith

Stereophonics

Laura Mvula

Monsta

Ocean Colour Scene

Lissie

Benjamin Francis Leftwich

Kendrick Lamar

The Saturdays

The Heavy

Nell Bryden

Misha B

Nina Nesbitt

The Script

A*M*E

Of Monsters and Men
Ocean Colour Scene
Silhouette
The Skints
Nell Bryden
The Heavy
Monsta
Little Mix
Pigeon Detectives
Kendrick Lamar
Diana Vickers
Misha B
James Skelly
Lissie
Netsky
A*M*E
Benjamin Francis Leftwich
The Script
Paloma Faith
Original Rudeboys
Laura Mvula
K-Koke
Jamie Cullum
Everything Everything
Travis
Lucy Spraggan
Sam Smith
Ed Drewett
Tom Odell
Stereophonics
rudimental
Nina Nesbitt
Olly Murs
James
The Saturdays

Of Monsters and Men - shall be watching. Really enjoyed their album and sound great live - 7.5/10

Ocean Colour Scene - I know a lot of the younger generation will be, and already are, negative towards OCS - but they truly are one of the best festival bands out there and have been for years. Great feel good stuff, and endless sing alongs with the Riverboat Song, The Circle, Hundred Mile High City, Profit in Peace and no doubt people will be singing Day We Caught the Train all over the site all weekend - always happens. I know my review will make no difference to most, but if you do want to take a chance on an "old band" give them a try - you never know, you might actually like it, 9/10

Edited by Bunny

Bunny - I for one will be at OCS. Great band live. I've been going to V since 2000 and seen them a number of times over the years there (V recycle policy - which I do hate BTW). I must be getting old as like many V vets, I think the line up declines year on year. Granted there are a few decent things to pick out each year, but i have spent a lot of time seeing the up and coming acts in recent years.

McFly

Underrated as anything, a band with two great - and very different - vocalists, who write their own material and play their own instruments, yet are written off as 'another One Direction'. I think there's an element of maturity in their newer material too... while songs like Five Colours In Her Hair from the beginning of their career are more childish and of their time, later singles Lies, That's The Truth and Love Is Easy certainly show a change in style and direction.

Always such good fun to see too, at T in the Park a grown bald massive guy was singing along every word... was a real fun set.

7.5/10

Jason Mraz

My absolute HERO and the reason that I'm going to V this year. People sadly only see the hits he has had in the UK - I'm Yours and I Won't Give Up and think that's all he is about. He's definitely heading towards a more ballad heavy/folky sound and I'm sure his set will contain many of that type of song but he also has a long history of upbeat songs with massive focus on wordplay - indeed on his second album Mr A-Z (geddit?) the lead single was called Wordplay and is brilliant. Songs like that Geek In The Pink, You Fckn Did it, The Dynamo of Volition show a definite different side to him, a more fun and interesting dynamic. Also sure he will dig out The Remedy which will be a big moment in his set.

GREAT and interesting live vocals, very engaging performer and speaker. Can't wait!

10/10