Glasto bound and pregnant :)

Guest armorelf

My Wife will be 18 weeks pregnant by the time it starts. She is really tired at the moment and my main concern is she is going to get too tired to do as much walking around as we'd like.

I know they have a bad reputation but I'm seriously considering carrying round one of our camping chairs for her to rest comfortably.

No really - why would ya ??? The place is crowded, the bogs cannot be described as hygienic. If it is muddy the going is tough for all but the fittest. If it is muddy people fall over - a lot. Glasto is great - but really is it THAT important that you go this year ??

My wife went to 2000 Trees when 6-7 months pregnant last year (and we are coming this year with our son who will be nearly 9 months). Obviously much smaller but the mud was much worse than I have had at Glasto. She coped.

Definitely take something to sit on - especially if the ground is wet. If people frown at a pregnant lady sitting on a camp chair then that is there problem.

Take things slowly. If you want to see a particular band plan allow plenty of time to get there.

Take plenty of pillows (proper ones not inflatable) so you can get comfy in the tent and allow you to get decent kip.

If seeing the headliners at Pyramid Stage - wait until the crowd dies down etc, etc. Just being sensible really. Remeber being pregnant is not an ilness. People have been giving birth for years, and people who live in a tribe culture still do it whilst living in glasto type conditions all year round and still survive.

I would take advantage of the greenfields and get a massage, reflexology or whatever takes your fancy. This will provide a bit of rest and relaxation for you during the afternoon and allow you to recharge the batteries.

My wife was 7 months pregnant when we went in 2010. She was fine but the only thing she struggled with was the heat, however plenty of water, a big hat and lots of rest breaks helped.

We took chairs and she found them a life saver, don't worry what anyone else things about you for having one, you'll be glad of it. Besides most of the moaning about chairs is when they're used towards the front of the crowds, people don't tend to be too bothered about them if they're used towards the back.

My other advice would be to take things slowly, enjoy yourself, make sure you have something to comfy to sleep on and ignore the idiots that don't think it's a good idea. There is no reason why you shouldn't enjoy it as much as anyone else. As long as you take reasonable precautions, going to Glastonbury can be no more harmful to your baby than going into a town centre on a Saturday afternoon.

Oh and finally, go and see the radical midwives. They usually have a yurt in the healing fields. They're lovely people with lots of friendly advice and if nothing else it's a nice quiet place to chill out, sit down and have a cup of tea. They can also do belly casts of your bump.

Edited by redmosquito

Thanks for the replies :) much appreciated

I'll be 20 weeks by the time we hit the road... not going was never an option to be fair!

'LOL' at this.....

If it is muddy the going is tough for all but the fittest. If it is muddy people fall over - a lot. Glasto is great - but really is it THAT important that you go this year ??

I am currently 20 weeks with our first and looking forward to my 6th Glasto!! I've invested in walking poles and will definitely be taking a camping chair and staying at the back of the fields/tents with it!!

Having injuries myself badly a few years back at Glasto, I have firt hand experience of the fantastic medical facilities they have there and first stop this year is to check in with them at the medical centre up by the farm. That way they have your notes etc in the slim chance you need to go and see them during the weekend.

The Radical Midwives are usually in the Green Fields I think so planning a visit to them too!

Maybe we should have a pregnant lady meet! ;)

Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy and a great Glasto! :)

My Wife will be 18 weeks pregnant by the time it starts. She is really tired at the moment and my main concern is she is going to get too tired to do as much walking around as we'd like.

I know they have a bad reputation but I'm seriously considering carrying round one of our camping chairs for her to rest comfortably.

a very good idea, I'd have thought. Anyone who complains about people sitting in chairs needs a serious life check.

My wife broke her ankle 6 weeks ago. We're going to the fracture clinic tomorrow to see how it's doing, but we'll probably be carrying a chair around for when it's needed. There are people who take an instant dislike to people who use them.... there are also people who don't like some people because of the type of drugs they take, or because they like wearing onesies, or because they use they're mobile phone, or because they're in the same place as them.... fuck 'em, it's Glastonbury ;)

"Remeber being pregnant is not an ilness. People have been giving birth for years, and people who live in a tribe culture still do it whilst living in glasto type conditions all year round and still survive..."

I can take it then that your advice would also include dispensing with scans, neo-natal clinics, ultra sound scans and eschewing all but a stick to bite on when the time comes, :-)

I was 26 weeks in the mud of 2007 and (unknowingly at the time but thankfully breast feeding so still sober!) 12 weeks in 2008. We survived the mud just fine, take things slowly and invest in some good walking boots with gaiters (if you haven't already) because they're must better than wellies and you'll be better walking in them whatever the weather.

We went on the bus in 2007 which caused one or two problems for us, one of which being restricted on the amount of stuff you can take. The chair is an excellent idea, make sure you have it with you so you can rest when you need to. But otherwise just have fun and enjoy a very different kind of Glastonbury than you've had before!!

I went in 2010 at 36 weeks and all was fine and dandy, I would recommend making your face known at the medical centre but we tried to do that and for the life of us couldn't find it. We found one but apparently it wasn't the 'right one' so we gave up lol. Take things slow, take a chair (I did!), lots of water, perhaps more quieter camping. Have fun :-)

Not sure you would need to visit the medical unit if you where in the earlier stages of a normal pregnancy, but my advice would be to take a photocopy of your 'yellow book' and keep it with you in a ziplock bag as a precaution.

JPS1882 - hopefully your good lady will start to feel human again in a week or two and be all re-energised, i know i am now.... congrats bytheway :) camping chair is a great idea, im even contemplating taking a book in case i fancy a sit up on the viewing point or outside the tent one morning/afternoon while everyone else goes off and drinks and gets merry :D

Thanks and congratulations to you too.

Thanks for everyone else giving their thoughts and I will definitely be taking a chair now and adopting a couldnt care less attitude to anyone that takes offence.

Roll on June cant wait

In the absence of Glasto last year I went to Isle of Wight at 36wks pregnant, my last festival fix before the little one came along!

It was great, just made sure I took it easy and had lots of breaks. A few extra pillows in the tent were needed for comfort and definitely a camping chair.

I did make myself known to the St John's Ambulance tent as we were camped pretty near them and they were brilliant, so pop into see the the Glasto midwives for peace of mind then get on with enjoying yourselves!

Have fun and good luck with your new arrival

• 4 weeks later...

I'm doing glasto 36 weeks pregnant. And yes bf is going to carry round a camper chair for me! I'm not slumming it this year as we have borrowed my mum and dads motor home! I would just say drink plenty of fluids and wear comfy clothes! I'm thinking of investing in a shewee which might be a good idea!

Good luck and enjoy! Xx

2011 we had a newborn (day old) in the NCT tent in the Kidz field. Lady came heavily pregnant, went into labour, gave birth in a local hospital and returned to site.

She was calm relaxed and happy as we're her partner and old children. The baby was gorgepus and content. It's all a state of mind.

All pregnant ladies come and stop by the NCT tent for a cuppa and a rest. It is quite a haven.

Xx

2011 we had a newborn (day old) in the NCT tent in the Kidz field. Lady came heavily pregnant, went into labour, gave birth in a local hospital and returned to site.

She was calm relaxed and happy as we're her partner and old children. The baby was gorgepus and content. It's all a state of mind.