Rightfield

Guest bigfurbdogg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure, as the intelligent human being that I know you are, that you realise that's not what's being said.

The fact that there're 47 pages of argument suggests that the political leanings of the festival aren't as cut and dried as you would have us believe.

Imagine the abuse I got for refusing to sign the "End Climate Chaos" petition a few years back because it's impossible.

IMO the festival should be non-political.

The last 50 pages is the reason why.

yes, what the world needs is more people who don't have a clue about politics, that'll make everything so much better.

We can then hand the country over to a bunch of toffs (oh, we already have) who know so much better than us oiks (as the bankers have proven) and we can go back to tugging our forelocks to our betters and only speaking when spoken to.

Let's hound the disabled, destroy the chances of jobs for the young, sell off the NHS after the top-down reorganisation that was promised not to happen, use surveys from Heat magazine as the basis of education policy, give policemen a special status in law if anyone does something against them and let them off their crimes with a nice pension when they do something wrong, and give tax cuts to millionaires at a time of a massive public spending deficit.

And let's invent local majors and police commissioners so that the govt can say they're not responsible for anything except the few good bits that happen by chance, let's laud tory economic policy on the basis of Mervin King's words while ignoring that all his previous forecasts have been a crock of shit, let's put out friends into a new quango (while promising a bonfire of the quangos, and yet there's more quangos) and have them give forecasts on the brief I gave them and call that independent, and let the non-voted for staff at Downing Street be mostly ex-Etonians because no one who went to school anywhere else knows jack shit.

And let's have those whose fortunes have been made by tax fraud held up as the best of British entrepreneurs, let's have those whose fortunes have been made by tax fraud saying they'll crack down on tax fraud, let's destroy workers rights now the unions have been destroyed so that no one can fight back, let's make the path into work via unpaid internships so only the rich can get jobs, let's ignore all advice from experts while running the country into the ground and and let's blame the poor for doing all of that.

What we need is less politics, not more. That'll sort the country out.

yes, what the world needs is more people who don't have a clue about politics, that'll make everything so much better.

We can then hand the country over to a bunch of toffs (oh, we already have) who know so much better than us oiks (as the bankers have proven) and we can go back to tugging our forelocks to our betters and only speaking when spoken to.

Let's hound the disabled, destroy the chances of jobs for the young, sell off the NHS after the top-down reorganisation that was promised not to happen, use surveys from Heat magazine as the basis of education policy, give policemen a special status in law if anyone does something against them and let them off their crimes with a nice pension when they do something wrong, and give tax cuts to millionaires at a time of a massive public spending deficit.

And let's invent local majors and police commissioners so that the govt can say they're not responsible for anything except the few good bits that happen by chance, let's laud tory economic policy on the basis of Mervin King's words while ignoring that all his previous forecasts have been a crock of shit, let's put out friends into a new quango (while promising a bonfire of the quangos, and yet there's more quangos) and have them give forecasts on the brief I gave them and call that independent, and let the non-voted for staff at Downing Street be mostly ex-Etonians because no one who went to school anywhere else knows jack shit.

And let's have those whose fortunes have been made by tax fraud held up as the best of British entrepreneurs, let's have those whose fortunes have been made by tax fraud saying they'll crack down on tax fraud, let's destroy workers rights now the unions have been destroyed so that no one can fight back, let's make the path into work via unpaid internships so only the rich can get jobs, let's ignore all advice from experts while running the country into the ground and and let's blame the poor for doing all of that.

What we need is less politics, not more. That'll sort the country out.

Based on the content of these 48 (?) pages, what % of people do you think have read them and thought "leftfield, yes, that's the place I'm going spend my time at Glastonbury" compared to the people who have though "fuck that, I'm staying as far away from leftfield as possible".

Neil...you didn't put any emoticons in your post, how is anyone meant to figure if you're serious or not. But going with heavy sarcasm as the overall tone.....it's just the same old same old "this is shit, this is shit, this is shit" and no proposal for an alternative.

Based on the content of these 48 (?) pages, what % of people do you think have read them and thought "leftfield, yes, that's the place I'm going spend my time at Glastonbury" compared to the people who have though "fuck that, I'm staying as far away from leftfield as possible".

Neil...you didn't put any emoticons in your post, how is anyone meant to figure if you're serious or not. But going with heavy sarcasm as the overall tone.....it's just the same old same old "this is shit, this is shit, this is shit" and no proposal for an alternative.

Thats not really a valid argument based on the subject line. The leftfield tent is there because a) the organisers want it there and B) there are plenty of people who do go there. According to your right-leaning principles thats all the justification it needs to exist isnt it?

Far away from the leftfield as possible would probably be staying away from a festival thats predomenantly left leaning.

I think if you take a more appropriate poll of the whole festival site i think you'll find most are centre-left ish, and thats why they go to a festival which matches those principles.

Edited by wilko8

Is it a trait of loony lefties that they just can't answer a straight question??

It doesn't bother me that it exists, far from it. The question was, based on this thread do you think more people would be drawn towards the leftfield, or turned off from it.

And if you believe that the majority of people attend Glastonbury because of its left leaning principles I think you'll be sadly mistaken. The majority of people go because its the best festival around. End of.

Edited by hawkzred

ha ha that's the best response you can come up with to Neil's comprehensive post?

If just one person has been swayed by Neil's argument. Or if it has just raised questions in one persons mind, then this whole 48 page thread has been worthwhile.

Of course, people that are just here to pass time at work (by their own admission) like you and dont actually have any convictions of their own probably do view the thread as a waste of time.

But their opinions are risable anyway.

Is it a trait of loony lefties that they just can't answer a straight question??

It doesn't bother me that it exists, far from it. The question was, based on this thread do you think more people would be drawn towards the leftfield, or turned off from it.

And if you believe that the majority of people attend Glastonbury because of its left leaning principles I think you'll be sadly mistaken. The majority of people go because its the best festival around. End of.

it's just the same old same old "this is shit, this is shit, this is shit" and no proposal for an alternative.

the alternative is not to do those many stupid things.

A man with two brain cells to rub together, rather than the man who claims he cannot be taught anything about politics, would have realised that.