Rightfield

Guest bigfurbdogg

As I thought - empty bluster.

I've been forming ideas of your beliefs by what you've posted here. If I have empty bluster about what you believe, that's only the result of the empty bluster you've posted.

So I wouldn't have thought that you're want to flag that up about yourself, but each to their own.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a question, it's a fact. Your ability to reach your potential of (say) brain surgeon is more dependent on your educational opportunities than it is your intelligence - cos all the intelligence in the world cannot make you a good brain surgeon without the educational opportunities as well.

I always find it amusing that in one breath some posters on here talk about the spirit and history of Glastonbury and how increasingly far removed it is becoming, but it is usually those same posters that become abusive, insulting and patronising quicker than those they spout so much discontent for. I thought Glastonbury was all about acceptance and welcoming all groups of people, or am i wearing rose tinted specs?

Edited by Big Vern

I'll come later - hopefully by then Neill concedes he's actually got nowt to tarnish me with

whether or not I have a negative view of you &/or your opinions is something of mine, and not anything within your control (but is within your influence).

Do you really think I've been sat here nodding along with everything you've posted? Or might my view of you have been tarnished by what you've posted?

It certainly doesn't work any differently to that from your direction, as you've made plain on more than one occasion. Why do you think it works differently back at you? :wacko:

And before you make some people laugh again....

Given how you've got on one about what you've posted I've avoided posting what you've posted without going back on things to get the exact words that you've posted.

And you're really not worth that. Your words have been round already. Any that I felt commenting on I commented on at the time.

This is just nonsense.

My brother and I (funnily enough) have the same working class parents, the same upbringing, the same start in the education system and basically exactly the same opportunities. Yet he's a lazy arse who hasn't worked for 10 years but has been claiming benefits, while I run a fairly successful small business employing 6 people?

because of course you are clones and had 100% identical experiences and influences onto 100% identical minds (both genetically and chemically).

Or might there actually have been differences between your upbringings and experiences, and because you are not your brother to have experienced his life you don't get where the differences had their effects?

For all we know, the difference might be down to something as simple as lead poisoning (which is starting to have some very interesting research around it).

You just don't know, but your brother is without doubt a lazy arse.

(PS - perhaps he is, really :lol: - it happens).

Edited by eFestivals

Yes you are.

I'll come later - hopefully by then Neill concedes he's actually got nowt to tarnish me with, and has once again become victim to his self-absorbed blather.

PMSL, switched-off brains, etc, etc. Rinse and repeat.

This is just nonsense.

My brother and I (funnily enough) have the same working class parents, the same upbringing, the same start in the education system and basically exactly the same opportunities. Yet he's a lazy arse who hasn't worked for 10 years but has been claiming benefits, while I run a fairly successful small business employing 6 people?

Just to point out, I'm not bigging myself up here, I've made lots of mistakes in life and am only moderately successful in my career, but I'm just trying to point out the difference.

You're lucky, you have working class parentS. ;) I'm from a fairly under-privileged background in that I'm from a single parent family who were really sneered upon in the late 80s. All of us have grown up and done well for ourselves but I feel this is in spite of the system, not because of it.

For me, university was pretty much unviable as an option financially without the support of my parent(s) and the education available for people in the low income areas i grew up in was frankly appalling. Luckily i entered the job market at the beginning of the .com boom and that happened to be my skillset.

Not being too big headed (ok maybe a little) I don't think my intelligence level would have prevented me becoming a brain surgeon (the example mentioned) if i was so inclined, however the education available in my low income area, and the financial implications would have prevented me spending the required time at university. Not only is that bad for the individual, but the economy itself suffers if talent is wasted like this. Social mobility can benefit everyone!

No one is ever going to be convinced to change their mind by someone that is insulting them. All they will think is "Well [...] is obvious a very nasty unkind person. Why would I listen to them?"

If you want to change people's minds you are going to have be super polite and nice to them.

Neil, I've got to say, it seems like every time you make a good point you ruin it by adding an insult on the end of it.

At the risk of this turning into a Monty Python sketch, my parents divorced when I was 2 and I had to get through university on grants (remember those) and student loans which were just being introduced.

Tuition fees are one of the worst things that have happened over the last 10 years. Although I believe in self-determination and people taking responsibility for the choices they make in life, that only works if people get the same start, hence my belief in 100% inheritance tax and a completely free and equal education system.

Edited by ukdaasfan

Although I believe in self-determination and people taking responsibility for the choices they make in life, that only works if people get the same start, hence my belief in 100% inheritance tax and a completely free and equal education system.

Nicely said. :)

If the right truly believe that people's lives should be based on their own efforts (and not get a free ride off someone else, be that the state or their daddy) then the right would have no problem with this.

But they do.

Which tells you all you need to know about the right.

Edited by eFestivals

Nicely said. :)

If the right truly believe that people's lives should be based on their own efforts (and not get a free ride off someone else, be that the state or their daddy) then the right would have no problem with this.

But they do.

Which tells you all you need to know about the right.

No one is ever going to be convinced to change their mind by someone that is insulting them. All they will think is "Well [...] is obvious a very nasty unkind person. Why would I listen to them?"If you want to change people's minds you are going to have be super polite and nice to them. Neil, I've got to say, it seems like every time you make a good point you ruin it by adding an insult on the end of it.

No one is ever going to be convinced to change their mind by someone that is insulting them. All they will think is "Well [...] is obvious a very nasty unkind person. Why would I listen to them?"

If you want to change people's minds you are going to have be super polite and nice to them.

Neil, I've got to say, it seems like every time you make a good point you ruin it by adding an insult on the end of it.

if presentation matters more to someone than content, they're never going to revolve their thinking around sense anyway - so my manner losses nothing.

There's already a world of well-meaning politicians who speak nicely and people still vote idiot. Why would I decide to use a proven-as-failed method? At least I'm trying to offer an alternative to what is known to fail; if I also fail, then there's no loss anywhere.