Staff required for Wristbanding with Festaff

Guest Paul ™

The people in the wristbanding tents that stand behind the counter with the clamps don't wear orange vests, that is Oxfam who where them.

Oxfam do the gates, where you get your ticket checked going in and out, but these positions with Festaff are the ones actually putting the bands on.

Anyway it might interest a few people, as I would assume most of the shifts will be on the Wed/Thur and Fri.

Festaff are a very good organisation. Sandy is a top boss, I worked for them as a Team Supervisor at T in the Park and Camp Bestival in 2010. Who cares if £30 is taken for the 'privilege' of working. Thats £30 for the 'privilege' of attending the best festival on the planet surely?

A very organised and great group and very pleased for them they have landed the contract.

Looks like they're asking for a £200 deposit from applicants, but only paying back £170 of that after the event - i.e. you're paying £30 for the privelege of working. That's a new one on me.

I'm not particularly excited about this specific company - £30 isn't a lot of money and It sounds like they're a good bunch to work for. I'd even consider going with them instead of my usual WBC bar work, based on the possibility of getting most of your shifts out of the way before the main festival starts.

I just don't like the principal of paying to work though. Eavis has disrupted the market for tickets with the registration/photo-ticket system and companies that charge workers to work are cashing in on the pent-up demand. If we're only talking about a few quid, then fair enough, but I'd bet some ticket-less people would be prepared to pay a lot more than £30 for a job on site. If it started going that way, all the poor students etc. could end up priced out of what might be their only chance of getting in.

They claim admin costs so roughly 5 hours at minimum wage.

But just to digress I have seen some really dodgy practices by some companies with deposits. Now to me you pay your deposit and it should be held somewhere safe. I know one that uses the cash to cover the set up costs for the summer. Everuthing is then balanced on the festival paying them on time to be able to refund the money. It caused problems one year when they did not get paid. Refund cheques were given out, but they asked that folk did not cash them for a few weeks. Obviuosly people banked them and then masses of bank charges started to build up, which then left them short of funds when paid.

Some of the practices really are dodgy.

The deposits should be put in an escrow account and returned immediately after the festival ends, in the same way your deposit if you are renting a house is required to be held (though no doubt half the landlords dont bother doing this either..)

But I wonder if these festival companys have an obligation to use escrow accounts. I wonder if the legal position for these deposits is the same as for house deposits?

Why are a security company taking on volunteers? Surely these are paid roles at festivals, with stewards being volunteers?

No way I'd be volunteering for security shifts.

Edited by Paul ™

• 1 month later...

My friend has applied for this and everything was fine until the money he paid went back into his account. Hes still getting emails about what to do when he arrives but when he tries to contact them about the money hes getting nowhere. Anyone have an experience with this? Does it lool like hes no longer going?

Thanks in advance for any help