The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

On 11/03/2018 at 9:50 AM, Wooderson said:

All the negging about queuing on ‘ere is *ahem* unimaginative.

The queueing isn't really the issue Woods. What I'm more bothered about is these stories of RSD clogging up pressing plants for the first quarter of the year, making it difficult for the small players in the game to get their stuff pressed. And then I'm pissed off at the limited edition runs which would sell anyway getting attached to this one day that's a known magnet for vultures picking up as much as they can and flogging it for massively inflated prices later on. Loads of artists release indies-only exclusive versions of their albums all the time, so no reason a lot of these things can't just be released as indies-only throughout the year. The whole new vinyl market is in a pretty rubbish state anyway and RSD is just a part of it. I'm not arguing about RSD as a concept, but the focus on exclusives is shit and sours me against the whole thing.

Go Oxfam for your records, pick up some old B-52s records for cheap.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Yeh I’m against all those things too. 

What im not against is peeps loving/enjoying the whole thing regardless. If that means queuing, fine. 

Yeah well I am. I'm against them, I'm against you, I'm against pretty much everybody else. I hate people.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yeah well I am. I'm against them, I'm against you, I'm against pretty much everybody else. I hate people.

I’ve met you. You’re v nice in person. A vessel of bonhomie and charm. 

This online sham you seek to promote is fooling no one.

9 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I’ve met you. You’re v nice in person. A vessel of bonhomie and charm. 

This online sham you seek to promote is fooling no one.

You poor gullible fool! You met Jimmy Lawn, my identical twin brother, I send him in as a patsy sometimes. I was round the corner being ill-tempered and deliberately causing minor inconveniences to innocent citizens for my own amusement.

• 3 weeks later...

All my records are now at home together in my parents' house (well, most of them anyway, still a few sat in my desk drawer at work). I'm moving into much smaller quarters next week with no record player, so there's going to be no wax while I'm living there. I've made sure everything's organised and together nice and neat, and I've done a Mardy and logged most of it onto Discogs. 

https://www.discogs.com/user/H.A.1992/collection?sort_by=artists_sort

My name is GETOFFAMYLAWN, King of Kings;
Look on my records, ye Mighty, and despair!

Now that I've made it a matter of public record that I own three Morrissey albums, I should probably make it clear that I am NOT alt-right.

• 2 weeks later...

Through slightly nefarious, underhand ways, i've managed to got all three of the Tom Waits brawlers, bawlers and bastards records from RSD. I'm made up about that, given that i've long been greenly envious of @The Nal,s original issue of this.

8 hours ago, Mardy said:

Through slightly nefarious, underhand ways, i've managed to got all three of the Tom Waits brawlers, bawlers and bastards records from RSD. I'm made up about that, given that i've long been greenly envious of @The Nal,s original issue of this.

Enjoy mate. A beautiful thing. 

Interested to hear how you acquired them!

On 21/04/2018 at 12:30 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Excellent purchase on Rythm Of The Saints there @Gnomicide, I need to cop one of those at some point.

Sadly it jumps in a number of places, took the gamble for £6 but may have to get another copy if I see one about. 

Side 2 is fine but side 1 must have been slid across the floor.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Been mega impressed with Juno.co.uk recently. 

They were my go-to supplier in most cases, back in the days when I had gainful employment. One day though, I'll receive square brown cardboard parcels from Mount Olympus once more.

Interesting Gnomicide, I was thinking about replacing my stylus but I've got a bit of spare cash, so might upgrade my system. Thinking of getting the Rega Planar 3 as a turntable and a pair of Q acoustics 3050 speakers.

I reckon I'm on safe ground with the turntable, but anyone got any experience of those speakers? The reviews are really good, but as ever, I'd trust you lot more.

Also, on the subject of vinyl, I went to my dealer this morning. He keeps all the stuff I want that's released when I'm abroad then I collect and pay for it all when I'm back. He had 14 albums for me this morning. Eye watering. 

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

Also, on the subject of vinyl, I went to my dealer this morning. He keeps all the stuff I want that's released when I'm abroad then I collect and pay for it all when I'm back. He had 14 albums for me this morning. Eye watering. 

Oof. Does he roll out the welcome mat for you, then bugger off to the pub when you're done? 

13 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Oof. Does he roll out the welcome mat for you, then bugger off to the pub when you're done? 

There was a definite gleam in his eye when I went in there.