Pop up tents

Guest Jitterbug_87

searched for other topics but nothing came up so would just like to know has anyone used one of these before and do they stand up to the elements as good as other basic tents.......i got one for xmas but it was only a two man and wont fit us both in with kit but i have seen a four man one which might do the job, and after having my two man one out they are so easy i just hope someone can give me some good news bout them lol

I have a Quechua Base 4.2 - 4 man pop up tent. It's absolutely amazing, best tent I've ever owned. It has two decent sized bedrooms and a big living area which you can stand in, ideal for festivals. I was always a Vango lover, but this tent is brilliant.

It takes me about 7 minutes to put up and 9 minutes to take down, this is on my own. Just make sure you know how to take it down before you use it properly away from home! It is quite heavy, but I've always carried it on my back with no problems.

Did I mention that I love it?!

asset_16318266.jpg

Edited by themuel

I have a Quechua Base 4.2 - 4 man pop up tent. It's absolutely amazing, best tent I've ever owned. It has two decent sized bedrooms and a big living area which you can stand in, ideal for festivals. I was always a Vango lover, but this tent is brilliant.

It takes me about 7 minutes to put up and 9 minutes to take down, this is on my own. Just make sure you know how to take it down before you use it properly away from home! It is quite heavy, but I've always carried it on my back with no problems.

asset_16318266.jpg

asset_16318266.jpg

• 1 month later...

I used to be a massive pop-up tent skeptic. Then one year we arrived at Glasto and it was pissing with rain. My mate with his pop-up tent had his tent up within a minute, and then kept himself nice and dry. I, on the other hand.... got soaked.

I have had something similar to this - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-air-iii-bamboo-tent-id_8206018.html - for a few years now and love it. It's double-skinned and has survived heavy rain, wind, and even a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJkWiz_R03o. I particularly love the 'air' model as it has two pop-up ventilation flaps that you can release from inside the tent, so that you can get a nice breeze going through it in the morning. For sure the breeze wasn't *perfect* but I was usually able to sleep for about an hour longer than my mates before my tent became too hot to sleep in.

I'm not sure what your tent is, but I'd recommend a double skin. I had a budget Tesco non-popup one, but double skinned which lasted a week in rain and heavy wind at Hay, but the Gelert my fiancee has is brilliant. Double skinned and for 4 people (ie me and a bag), which is also quick erect. Yes, unless you want to be filmed for Youtube, practice how to put it away, and the poles will also seem like they can't bend or move, but they do. Ours takes 5 minutes to pack.

I use a 3-man Quechua pop-up and I absolutely love it. Double skinned and just to be even more lazy, it has a cord that you simply pull to take it down. None of this faffing and struggling to fold it up.

It can be an absolute bitch to carry though. The disc shape isn't particularly user friendly.

My basic, single sheet Gelert 2 man pop up that I lent to my friend was perfectly fine for one person during the fest in 2011 although the only downside was having to put muddy boots inside the tent.

My 2 layer Eurohike 3 man was a great & well built but expensive at the time (birthday present from parents) until some c**t* blew up a gas canister & shards of metal shot through it.

*I got my compensation off them for a new tent ;-)

Ive got two Quechua tents, the 2010 base seconds 4.1 and its upgrade in 2012. The 2010 version is a lot easier to put down than the 2012 one but with practice I can do it in under 10mins. The only thing that would make me go back to a 'normal' tent is size as the 4.1 pop ups are heavy and impractical for public transport.

I got one for leeds last year and it was a bit of a nightmare. it was very cramped, you cant really sit up comfortably cos there's no head room. also when folded its not ideal to lug about because its a massive hoop shape. mine didnt have a ground sheet at the bottom so there was massive potential for the floor to get soaked but i bought a ground sheet separate luckily.

gelert-pop-up-3-man-tent.jpg

edit: i don't think they're hard to put away though, it has colour coded fasteners which you just match up

Edited by chel