Retired.

Guest luckysalt

Wel overall the family Hedge had a great weekend. Shardlow was a great option although having to walk to the festival on Friday was a nightmare due to the ttraffic. Just one of those things that you can't do anything about. Met some great people on the bus and campaite and it seemed everyone on site was from either Wolverhamton or Dudley!!

The bus back was a bit of a nightmare to be honest. They only run hourly and if you don't get on it's a long wait, not what you want after a long days in the mud! Although I would recommend Shardlow I would look into getting taxis back, a lot less hassle.

The Mrs and the boy found the walking hard work, I thgink they expected it to be like Soni and were in for a shock when it was still a 25 min walk from the bus stop to the arena.

Saw some great bands and met some great people, it's the people who will make me return again although I may wait a couple years to return. It was a beast this year due to the weather and the crowd size although overall I think they coped fairly well. Thought my tent was gonna blow away on Thursday night!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to buck the trend, but I had an awesome time! Only partly ruined by my feet being destroyed by the mud and not being able to walk for the last 3 days (partially my fault for not wearing thick enough socks I think, but THANK GOD FOR THE SHUTTLE BUS!) and the Reading style destruction of empty tents around mine until 5am on the last night. You can't ban idiots though, unfortunately!

All this has done has further convinced me that next year I will give RIP camping a go. I am ready to admit that my body needs more rest, so posh camping it is from now on! The festival in general was brilliant, although I was a bit annoyed that I couldn't find an ale tent or Guinness bar! Did they move or just get removed?

Think the next big fest I'll do, I'll finally take the plunge and go for Glasto perhaps. These corporate festivals have just taken the biscuit.

I agree salty, another great festival ruined by greed. It's why I stopped doing reading, and I haven't returned there either. I'd rather go somewhere and be treat like a customer, than be herded like cattle and put up with pigsty conditions.

The VIP bar was a joke on Friday, was there a national shortage of walking boards?

For those saying "Download has become like Reading" and the like, what do you expect from festivals run by (ultimately) the same company?

Which then leads me to mention that Europe has a lot of festivals that are run by the same company. :lol:

There's festivals run for love, and there's festivals run for money. It's highly unlikely that you'll find festivals with audiences over 25,000 that are just run for the love.

Edited by rivalschools.price

talking about beer prices, i was in a round of 4 people and when it was my round and i asked for 4 pints(£16) they always asked me if i wanted to take advantage of their 5 for £20 offer(!!)

With special offers like that i dont think tesco will be headhunting them for their marketing team.ha ha

As I see Neil has been in this thread now, what festival would he recommend that is based in the midlands, on the small side that has general rock, rather than a more metal based fest like Bloodstock.

Is their one?

I used to love going to Summer Sundae in Leicester, but I think the line ups have gone down the toilet [and I know its not rock] it was just a good site, vibe and location.

I would like to take the family too so kids go free would be ideal really. So by next summer would be me and the mrs and a 10 and 9 year old lads, 7 year old girl and nearly 2 year old boy.

Edited by luckysalt

I have to say I was annoyed that they didn't do anything about the mud! they had the straw and they had the capability to do something about the puddles, but did fuck all! the UK weather is pissing me off. Was very happy about the bands though, music wise, best I've been to yet, beat Sonisphere last year for me.

I am unsure if i'll do Download next year, as I am doing Rock AM Ring which is a week before Download... they usually have similar bands, for one the festival is a lot cheaper €160 which is about £140, all you pay for is a cheap plane too Frankfurt/Cologne and then a train to Koblenz... the weather is generally better and it's well organised...

Glastonbury maybe an option for me... 200,000 people would be insane! I thought 100,000 at Download was busy!

Edited by hardygra

As I see Neil has been in this thread now, what festival would he recommend that is based in the midlands, on the small side that has general rock, rather than a more metal based fest like Bloodstock.

Is their one?

I used to love going to Summer Sundae in Leicester, but I think the line ups have gone down the toilet [and I know its not rock] it was just a good site, vibe and location.

I would like to take the family too so kids go free would be ideal really. So by next summer would be me and the mrs and a 10 and 9 year old lads, 7 year old girl and nearly 2 year old boy.

I have to say I was annoyed that they didn't do anything about the mud! they had the straw and they had the capability to do something about the puddles, but did fuck all! the UK weather is pissing me off. Was very happy about the bands though, music wise, best I've been to yet, beat Sonisphere last year for me.

I am unsure if i'll do next year, as I am doing Rock AM Ring which is a week before Download... they usually have similar bands, for one the festival is a lot cheaper €160 which is about £140, all you pay for is a cheap plane too Frankfurt/Cologne and then a train to Koblenz... the weather is generally better and it's well organised...

Glastonbury maybe an option for me... 200,000 people would be insane! I thought 100,000 at Download was busy!

I normally camp in family camping and I have found that in fact people are buying these tickets just because the other ones have sold out. not because they want to adhere to the rules i.e. noise etc. My first festival was download in 2008 and i found that everyone in family camp would sit down have a chat with you. now if you excuse the expression the majority of people in there are just an extension of normal camp! makes me all angry and feel middle aged!

I hope the people who don't like the walking arn't the same ones who are considering glastonbury,or they might be in for a shock

Exactly, if they're going to deny any but the VIPs access to the simple routes into the Red Bull stage, for example, signs would have been useful. We never found the smeg route to the Red Bull and missed several bands that we were looking forward to seeing as a consequence! :(

Maps online, maps in phone apps, maps in lanyards, a big fuck off red roof on the tent and yet people still need their hands holding and leading to the red bull tent? I really can't understand how people couldn't find it.

Is their one?