2013 Lineup

Guest Dukeeyyy

What's to say kings of Leon didn't think that they progressed their sound. Or took the harder path? It's all subjective, they might love the new sound. They might think their old sound was not what they wanted to do anymore and wanted to move away from it. A shift is a shift, you will alienate people either way. As long as the band are making music that they like and aren't being forced by a record label then it's up to the band which direction they want to follow.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

• Replies 28.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thetime

• mrtourette

• Mouseboy11

• the wonderwhy

I'm saying they didn't, because that's my opinion? You may have a different one, but that's the point of a forum :)

I also think it's fairly obvious if you listen to their records back to back. As I said in my post, what you may think of their music is completely down to you, but I don't think it's controversial to say they changed the type of music they make from Youth And Young Manhood to Come Around Sundown.

I also think it's fairly obvious they took the easier route, from making music which keeps them at a cult level (the blues indie stuff) to the generic stadium rock of the later records.

I'm not criticising generic stadium rock, because a. it can be done well and b. it's your choice whether you like the music or whether you don't like, but I don't think it's controversial to say going from making cult music such as Because Of The Times, to making something such as Only By The Night or Come Around Sundown which will appeal to a mainstream audience is the easier route.

I also think it's fairly obvious if you listen to their records back to back. As I said in my post, what you may think of their music is completely down to you, but I don't think it's controversial to say they changed the type of music they make from Youth And Young Manhood to Come Around Sundown.

I also think it's fairly obvious they took the easier route, from making music which keeps them at a cult level (the blues indie stuff) to the generic stadium rock of the later records.

I'm not criticising generic stadium rock, because a. it can be done well and b. it's your choice whether you like the music or whether you don't like, but I don't think it's controversial to say going from making cult music such as Because Of The Times, to making something such as Only By The Night or Come Around Sundown which will appeal to a mainstream audience is the easier route.

Come Around Sundown sounds more like Youth And Young Manhood than Because Of The Times does. They have only really had 2 stadium rock songs and they were both from Only By The Night but other than them obvious 2 it's not too much of a different sounding album than the 'cult' Because Of The Times album.

I wouldn't even go as far to insult Come Around Sundown because I couldn't. It just sounded like the same track over and over and over again. I'd argue the only tracks I wouldn't call stadium generic rock from Only By The Night are Closer and Crawl.

I love The Libertines and I'm a big fan of The Strokes' and Arctics' early albums, I was listening to that sort of stuff from my early teens, but it's not the same then is it? How many festivals and gigs were you going to at 12? How often where you going out? By the time I'd hit 16/17 and was old enough to be a part of that scene it'd moved on, The Libertines had broken up and the Stokes/Arctics shows I've seen have been fucking poor. There's no real big music moments that'll be remembered and relevant that I can be a part of. There's a lot of new bands that I really love, but it's a bit shit when you're tastes aren't even recognised by most of popular culture, Yuck are never going to play a historic show at Spike Island.

Friday-------------------------Saturday--------------------------------------Sunday

Main Stage:-------------------Main Stage:----------------------------------Main Stage:

Kanye West & Jay Z-------Bloc Party/Biffy Clyro (Co-headline)--The Stone Roses

Bon Iver----------------------- Metronomy-----------------------------------Primal Scream

Two Door Cinema Club--------------------------------------------------------Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

NME:------------------------------NME:------------------------------------------NME:

Jack White---------------------Placebo-------------------------------------Dizzee Rascal

A bit soon to be guessing, but this looks possible?

Edited by The Mean Bean