Second Announcement

Guest Nick07

Its not the line-up that's causing the negativity....... it's this particular announcement....beech house, veronica falls, i break horses and others had already been announced.

And I think it's particularly those that are going to both EOTR and NDH that are most put out about the number of bands playing both.

Still......Lanterns on the Lake will have played three in a row (plus NDH), Low Anthem three out of the last four (plus NDH), Midlake will also be a third appearance.......that is pretty lazy.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All a bit dull if you ask me.

They need to pull out some new headliners in my opinion. Wilco and Beirut have been wonderful additions.

Plus The Walkmen need to play if Bella Union are doing a day as they are the best band on it although they played last year.

Wpuld personally love to see The Shins and Nick Cave.

That's exactly my problem and there seems to be a divided opinion based on whether you've been to EOTR several times or you're new to it perhaps?

To clarify, I'm not knocking any of the bands, there are some really great bands there and I guess if you haven't seen a lot of them before then the line up is very good. My problem is that I've seen most of them before and many of them more than once. At least half of them I've aready seen at EOTR. If you've been to this festival in the last few years then there's virtually nothing new so far. This isn't shaping up to be the festival that showcases new talent as it has done in the past, it's a very lazy lineup so far.

I'm really surprised at the negative responses to the announcement! I am absolutely thrilled at the line up so far (and don't forget this is only the Bella Union anniversary) there's still lots more to come - I'm sure there'll be lots of new bands to discover, if that's what you want. I'd be more than happy with the line up if no-one else was added. Jonathan Wilson is fabulous live, Roy Harper!!! wow .. John Grant and Midlake again - I've seen Low Anthem lots of times but they are so talented and entertaining I always look forward to seeing them. I don't know about others but I missed out on (or caught only half sets) from so many bands last year because of clashes - it's great to have the opportunity to see them again. I'll look forward to lots of room in front of the stage then, shall I? ;)

It's a great line up. It's just largely the same as previous years. The single best thing for me about EotR has always been the discovery of new music, and the feeling that the organisers have the same taste as you do. Very safe and unadventurous so far.

And for those talking about Fleet Foxes etc., I would guess from today's announcements that that's it as far as Bella Union is concerned...

Was it not always the case that in hosting Bella Union's anniversary, there was going to be a large number of repeat bookings? All the big hitters on their roster have played before, most of them more than once - Bella Union have always been well represented at EOTR.

Personally I'm very pleased with today's announcement. The Our Broken Garden album was on heavy rotation whilst I was on holiday in the autumn so looking forward to seeing them, ditto for Jonathan Wilson and I Break Horses, whilst Midlake and Dirty Three are due to have new albums out I think.

Not sure whether I'll double up with NDH - one of the main draws there was Dirty Three and if I know I'm going to see them at EOTR I'm not sure I'll be venturing up the A1...

With the Bella Union announcement there were always going to be some bands left out that would disappoint (I'd like to have seen Vetiva). But overall I think it's an amazing line up for the Friday.

I suspect that the same people that have seen a lot of these bands recently, will actually find that a blessing in disguise when it comes to the inevitable clashes in the set times.

I love the fact that Roy is, once again, a 'new act', at the age of 70!! He was the star of my first ever concert (1970) and 'Flat, Baroque & Berserk' was the first album I ever bought (Xmas 1969). He has played a significant role in my life ever since and I'm a bit gutted I'll almost certainly not be there.

Ms Newsom was also a guest at the RFH for his 70th birthday gig, along with Jonathan Wilson and that Page fella. She duetted with him on 'Another Day' which was quite odd as it was never a duet until Kate Bush & Peter Gabriel did it on her legendary TV special. JN's contribution was very much a la Bush. Roy got a bit overwhelmed! This Mortal Coil did a good version too.

Has to be said that the more I look at all the acts playing that Friday the more it seems like a stellar day, however familiar it looks!

And looking at the top level of acts on the website.....6 out of 9 are for that Friday which is reminding me of just how much more there is to come!

I think i may have to give end of the road a miss this year: i may go bestival instead....

I love the fact that Roy is, once again, a 'new act', at the age of 70!! He was the star of my first ever concert (1970) and 'Flat, Baroque & Berserk' was the first album I ever bought (Xmas 1969). He has played a significant role in my life ever since and I'm a bit gutted I'll almost certainly not be there.

It's a great line up. It's just largely the same as previous years. The single best thing for me about EotR has always been the discovery of new music, and the feeling that the organisers have the same taste as you do. Very safe and unadventurous so far.

And for those talking about Fleet Foxes etc., I would guess from today's announcements that that's it as far as Bella Union is concerned...