An adult conversation about drugs?!

Guest lifelessfool

I agree in the sense that they should stop penalising the users and get to the root of it, I think if they spent half as much time on tackling the underlying cause e.g. the suppliers/producers as they do on petty cases there would be a big effect. Like above said, what is it for someone to harm themselves if they wish, as long as others aren't disrupted and they don't cause too much of a problem there's hardly any point in chasing after them.

It's a loosing battle ultimately, as the population grows and drugs become easily available then it will always continue. The best thing the government can do is to make sure it's people are as safe as can be and to inform them as well as possible. Knowledge is the key I believe.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and your point is what, exactly?

alcohol causes significantly more social harm than cannabis...all those fights on a Friday and Saturday night, are they caused by pissed people or stoned people? Alcohol kills thousands of people every year - ecstacy may kill a couple.

I'll ask you again...if your drugs are ok socially, why are others (which cause less personal or social harm) not acceptable? This has got nothing to do with whether you think they are different because a spliff wiped you out - what, objectively, makes your drug of choice ok and others not?

It's not just about frequency/extent of use though, is it? people get pissed and fight. People dont get stoned and fight. People dont do a couple of pills and pile out of a pub looking for a scrap.

And the general point is that if the state makes things illegal because they are harmful, then alcohol and lard would be as illegal as cannabis

No, it's the precise effects of different drugs. But if as many people smoked weed as drink alcohol there would be different negative social effects. Ditto heroin. Ditto cocaine. I don't think you can definitely conclude that the social harm caused by other drugs - certainly if they were made legal - would be less than that caused by alcohol.

Yes, agreed.

I think i'm more a fan of decriminalization, I was taught all my life drugs were really really bad but alcohol and smoking are sort of okay, but then smoking was not okay, The point that if you decriminalize everyone will suddenly take it up is ridiculous. Smoking is legal I know more non smokers than smokers.... its ridiculous that hypothetically I pick up for my friends and if i get caught I will possibly face prison for dealing! I think though not all drugs should be decriminalized as it seems obvious crystal meth is pretty bad( i have never tried it so I wouldnt know but it seems that way)

The world should also be looking at how we protect the people of Central America and Southern America, or Afgahnistan, or wherever, from the horrific damage the illegal drugs trade is doing to people's communities there. Taking the business away from the drug cartels and having the Governments manufacture and supply the respective drug could save countless lives in these areas.

Sure, drugs have different effects...some are socially harmful, others arent. But alcohol has a demonstrable tendency to cause violence (particularly amongst young males). If there's a case for using the criminal law to regulate the use of substnaces, it applies overwhelmingly to alcohol.

It's the hypocrisy that really grips me. You can drink yourself to death, but it's illegal to smoke a spliff in your own house. I can go out and get pissed with society's blessing - cheerfully wrecking my own liver and vomit in the neighbours garden. But if I want to do a pill and go out and hug some folk and smile a lot, I'm a dangerous criminal. It's insane

I think i'm more a fan of decriminalization, I was taught all my life drugs were really really bad but alcohol and smoking are sort of okay, but then smoking was not okay, The point that if you decriminalize everyone will suddenly take it up is ridiculous. Smoking is legal I know more non smokers than smokers.... its ridiculous that hypothetically I pick up for my friends and if i get caught I will possibly face prison for dealing! I think though not all drugs should be decriminalized as it seems obvious crystal meth is pretty bad( i have never tried it so I wouldnt know but it seems that way)

The world should also be looking at how we protect the people of Central America and Southern America, or Afgahnistan, or wherever, from the horrific damage the illegal drugs trade is doing to people's communities there. Taking the business away from the drug cartels and having the Governments manufacture and supply the respective drug could save countless lives in these areas.

Like many have said it's a difficult balancing game. I very, very rarely seen anyone who is on the more popular drugs such as pills, mdma, weed etc kick off or cause any kind of trouble. Now say the same thing to alcohol.

And as one person said, if it was ever legalised, obviously use would increase as new people tried it but I honestly don't think as much damage would come from it being legalised as has come from smoking and alcohol. I have been known to use stuff every now and then and the people I associate myself with aren't the "crackheads" you always see on the news and in a negative light. My friends are all middle class and would never let the drug take over our lives. Being with the right people, in the right environment and with the right substances can be a much more satisfying night than going out and getting pissed.

I admit, people with a serious problem who are off their heads on the train maybe should look at getting help and be punished more severely, but there's massive world out there where people have normal lives, work full time, contribute everything a person should to the economy and every once in a while they like to have some fun and get off their head if you like at a party or festival. Why should they be penalised if they are doing absolutely nothing to hurt anybody? You probably walk past hundreds of people a week who use drugs, would you look down and judge them if you knew that they did?

I hate to piss on your bonfire but it does not work like that. Addiction is an equal opportunities fucker up of lives. Even with education and insight no one can ever say that will never be me.

Correct, but I believe there's also an opposite side to that.

During my life I've known a number of addicts of various drugs very well. And in every single case* I'm of the belief that if the drug they've become addicted to was not available then it's exceedingly likely that they'd instead be addicted to another drug in its place.

(* there's of course those people who become addicted by accident to prescription drugs, which doesn't fall within this. But it's also the case that such people would not be affected [nothing would be changed] by the legalisation of drugs if that were to happen)

Just as "Addiction is an equal opportunities fucker up of lives" (nice phrase btw :)), there's an equal opportunity to become an addict for all the while that there are substances to which you can become addicted.

Can you ever see The Daily Fail having an adult conversation about drugs?

Tragic story I know, but this is classic from them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2091183/David-Norkett-17-dies-falling-high-skunk-proves-Richard-Branson-wrong-drugs.html

Proves?

So it was the skunk, not the "fairly innocuous" alcohol, and not the deliberately making himself faint at the top of a stairwell, that did it then?

Can you ever see The Daily Fail having an adult conversation about drugs?

Tragic story I know, but this is classic from them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2091183/David-Norkett-17-dies-falling-high-skunk-proves-Richard-Branson-wrong-drugs.html

Proves?

So it was the skunk, not the "fairly innocuous" alcohol, and not the deliberately making himself faint at the top of a stairwell, that did it then?

Correct, but I believe there's also an opposite side to that.

During my life I've known a number of addicts of various drugs very well. And in every single case* I'm of the belief that if the drug they've become addicted to was not available then it's exceedingly likely that they'd instead be addicted to another drug in its place.

(* there's of course those people who become addicted by accident to prescription drugs, which doesn't fall within this. But it's also the case that such people would not be affected [nothing would be changed] by the legalisation of drugs if that were to happen)

Just as "Addiction is an equal opportunities fucker up of lives" (nice phrase btw :)), there's an equal opportunity to become an addict for all the while that there are substances to which you can become addicted.