Announcement before Wednesday 25th January

Guest dip

GnR headlined before they became an international laughing stock.

When FNM headlined it was one of their first ever gigs as a reformation.

3 absolutely non metal headliners would go down like a shit sandwich over at donington park, and you know it.

FNM arent my problem. queen with xfactor boy and gnr are archetypal hard rock calling acts. lets imagine what your average queen fan will be doing during the day whilst for example, mastodon, dillinger escape plan, rolo tomassi, in flames, slayer, whitechapel are on?

if you want the face of sonisphere to change completely, fine.

ive been twice out of the 3 years - i'm not a hater, but if its gonna turn into a hard rock calling, i want no part of it.

Your entire argument is based upon the "they will sell tickets" argument. if thats the only criteria for booking a band, then organising festivals would be a piece of piss. its about getting bands that YOUR AUDIENCE WILL BE EXCITED TO SEE. Lose sight of your customer base, and they will abandon you.

And if you accuse Neil of not knowing anything about festivals, you should expect to be pulled up on your lack of age and experience. The man has made this his living, he's where news agencies and the BBC turn to when they want someone to talk about festival related matters, he has been more right on lineup predictions than any other website you care to name (at least since I joined in 2004), for you to suggest that he knows nothing about festivals is both offensive and childish, so you brought that upon yourself*. (and "sonisphere fanboy" has nothing to do with age, it has to do with your propagandising) so drop the straw man fallacy, and argue your position.

its strange that I am not the only person on here that feels the official board is well off balance.

*Neil certainly doesn't need sticking up for, and under normal circumstances I argue with him a lot. so to balance it out, and to avoid sounding like a Neil arse kisser - Neil, you are still a c**t. ;)

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How was that before GNR became a laughing stock? They've been diva-ish and turning up later for their entire career, that hasn't changed, and probably won't change. Yet festivals still book them, people still pay to see them. Download would book them again, I'd reckon.

I also didn't accuse him of knowing nothing, I just said I disagreed with him and said it's comments like that that makes people all over the internet think efests are foolish, didn't say I necessarily agreed with that, because I don't. Otherwise I wouldn't bother visiting the website. You also tell me to argue my position, I feel that's what I've been doing on here since day 1, and I've never felt the need to resort to calling people out for any personal attacks in a patronising manner, such as for their age, or calling them a fanboy, which is just immature and petty.

Our opinions on this are clearly different, and as I admitted above to Efests, maybe I am wrong, but equally they could be wrong too (As they've admitted). So get off your high horse and stop with all the unrelated 'fanboy' BS.

I'm still not convinced Faith No More would be Apollo Stage headliners. France only has one stage - Sonisphere has two I can see Faith No More as Saturn headliners. They didn't do Reading/Leeds Main Stage when they last appeared, or close out last year's Maquinaria Festival in Chile (Megadeth and Stone Temple Pilots did) - in both cases they headlined the other stage.

Edited by 5co77ie

I figured they'd headline what with Soni being a smaller festival, I also thought the Reading and Leeds thing was more convenience as they played Edinburgh and Dublin in August, though them in any form would be brilliant. To be honest I'd probably prefer a proper headline set, but saturn headliners would be good too I guess, and definitely not outside the realms of possibility as you say...

Ginger Wildheart said on his formspring yesterday he heard they were at sonisphere, he didn't say headline though I guess :P

I don't want more massive sales. I do however want Queen, Faith No More, and GNR because I do actually want to see all 3 of those bands :P

But as I said, I can see why you wouldn't be alone in your thinking, but there would still be enough people who would disagree with you too for the festival to sell the 60,000 tickets it needs to sell, to sell out ( I reckon at least anyways). Which was my original point, that I didn't see it causing the festival to fail, financially, which wasn't brought up by me anyway!

Anyways, I think that all got a tad out of hand...I blame the lack of actual announcements. Hopefully they announce something soon, so you can all complain about it, and I'll mindlessly defend it, eh? :P

Edited by kipper64

I don't want more massive sales. I do however want Queen, Faith No More, and GNR because I do actually want to see all 3 of those bands :P

But as I said, I can see why you wouldn't be alone in your thinking, but there would still be enough people who would disagree with you too for the festival to sell the 60,000 tickets it needs to sell, to sell out ( I reckon at least anyways). Which was my original point, that I didn't see it causing the festival to fail, financially, which wasn't brought up by me anyway!

Anyways, I think that all got a tad out of hand...I blame the lack of actual announcements. Hopefully they announce something soon, so you can all complain about it, and I'll mindlessly defend it, eh? :P

I'm still not convinced Faith No More would be Apollo Stage headliners. France only has one stage - Sonisphere has two I can see Faith No More as Saturn headliners. They didn't do Reading/Leeds Main Stage when they last appeared, or close out last year's Maquinaria Festival in Chile (Megadeth and Stone Temple Pilots did) - in both cases they headlined the other stage.

Ps - I really like your comments, banter and respect your opinions Kipper and to your credit you do come on here and share any information you may have or picked up. I just don't like it when you slag off this site when posting on the official site as there is actually no need to do so, you are better than that......anyway I agree totally that things have got out of hand and like you I hope we get some sort of announcement soon ,even if it is GnR and Queen :rolleyes:

i think the download announcement this week is gonna be vital, particularly if soni havent announced anything by weds as neil suggests may be possible. a strong set of 2nd stage headliners could seal the deal for many like me who are getting fed up with the lack of soni info.

a real exciting alternative to prodigy and tallica will nail it for me and my mates.

Well we won't know for sure for at least a week and i get the impression that news is really being clamped down on Soni this year. But (from postings here and mutterings within the industry) i think there's a very strong chance that FNM will headline Friday and Queen Saturday .... what's therefore of more interest to me is who will headline on the Sunday?

I can't see Kiss wanting to go against Queen and really find it hard to believe that slash will want to perform with axl again.

Personally i would like to see a newer, heavier act to headline. I thought the Biffy decision last year was very brave but paid off, so i'd like to see a similar decision this year. It would help underline the alternative festival ethos and if Queen are expensive then a cheaper booking on Sunday might be an attractive proposition.

What about Bullet for my valentine for A7X headlining?

I thought the Biffy decision last year was very brave but paid off, so i'd like to see a similar decision this year. It would help underline the alternative festival ethos and if Queen are expensive then a cheaper booking on Sunday might be an attractive proposition.

Well we won't know for sure for at least a week and i get the impression that news is really being clamped down on Soni this year. But (from postings here and mutterings within the industry) i think there's a very strong chance that FNM will headline Friday and Queen Saturday .... what's therefore of more interest to me is who will headline on the Sunday?

I can't see Kiss wanting to go against Queen and really find it hard to believe that slash will want to perform with axl again.

Personally i would like to see a newer, heavier act to headline. I thought the Biffy decision last year was very brave but paid off, so i'd like to see a similar decision this year. It would help underline the alternative festival ethos and if Queen are expensive then a cheaper booking on Sunday might be an attractive proposition.

Guns N Roses is getting very curious, just been announced for an Italian fest which makes 3 dates (not including the Irish one) all in countries that have their own Soni fest. Could be just the UK Soni getting them to bump up the number of headliners but I would of thought Killlive would try to get a better main attraction than Queen with Adam Lambert for their other fests depending on where Metallica can play also.

Edited by jump

Kipper, I don't get why you keep saying FNM could headline Soni cuz its a smaller festival :S when they've had Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slipknot, Rammstein and The Big 4 for the first time in the UK all headline. They're some of the biggest names in Metal that any festival could announce. So I don't see how them being a smaller festival in size compromises the size of band they can have headlining, because history obviously goes against what you're saying.

I'm not having a dig at all BTW :P I could be really wrong though so :P I'm only 20 so half the peoole on here probably know more than me about festivals :)

Edited by Andre91

Kipper, I don't get why you keep saying FNM could headline Soni cuz its a smaller festival :S when they've had Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slipknot, Rammstein and The Big 4 for the first time in the UK all headline. They're some of the biggest names in Metal that any festival could announce. So I don't see how them being a smaller festival in size compromises the size of band they can have headlining, because history obviously goes against what you're saying.

I'm not having a dig at all BTW :P I could be really wrong though so :P I'm only 20 so half the peoole on here probably know more than me about festivals :)

It will be interesting to see what the friday day tickets go for as they went from £40 to £80 when the big 4 played. I wonder if they'll come down in price if FNM headline. (I'm lead to beleive the price hike was specifically because of the strength of having the big 4)

I think it was more because it was considered they had 3 full headliners last year on Apollo stage. Where as in 2010 there was no Friday headliner, not on Apollo at least. The Friday was more of a warm up in 2010 but in 2011 (Whilst still being a half day), it was billed like a full day.

Guns N Roses just confirmed for Gods of metal festival in Italy at the end of June ;)