Announcement before Wednesday 25th January

Guest dip

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would not totally be surprised to see RATM headline the same day they headline 2nd. It's not official I don't think but at Download when they headed rumor was RATM were set t but pulled out. Rumor was Foo's werre going to but pulled for own tour too so The Offspring got bymped up. And Prophets under Rage makes more sense than Offspring under Rage.

Likely to get a leak Sunday night or something? We pretty much know we'll have some bands by 9am Monday.

I'm hoping the placebo announcement is something to do with Soni, if placebo headline I will be there.

some people on the official board saying placebo arent big enough to headline soni? get a grip. if biffy are big enough to headline, Placebo will fucking piss it. Their fanbase is huge (and worldwide) and their back catalogue is sublime.

the biggest drawback is that they are widely considered a "Reading" band, having played it so many times previously. I just hope they are doing soni.

Edited by t8yman

I would love Placebo to headline but it won't happen... they sub headlined last time and they haven't done anything to go higher and it's not like their new album will set the world on fire.

I could see them and Lostprophets headlining second though,

Edited by SOAD

I'm hoping the placebo announcement is something to do with Soni, if placebo headline I will be there.

some people on the official board saying placebo arent big enough to headline soni? get a grip. if biffy are big enough to headline, Placebo will fucking piss it. Their fanbase is huge (and worldwide) and their back catalogue is sublime.

the biggest drawback is that they are widely considered a "Reading" band, having played it so many times previously. I just hope they are doing soni.

I don't think anyone is saying it because they don't think Placebo belong at Sonisphere. Placebo played sonisphere in 2010 afterall, but they subbed then and that was under Rammstein who weren't the biggest headliner of the weekend. So it's unlikely they'd be bumped up to headliner as they haven't really got any bigger since 2010 have they? I love them anyways, so do hope they play again :D

Def not way bigger than Biffy... Biffy have recently had two platinum albums.. going at number 2 and number 3... 3 top ten singles recently (which is amazing for a rock band)... started doing arenas (and sold them out easily despite the fact they tour very very frequently..

Placebo have never had an album chart higher than Biffy... only had one Platinum album... did slightly bigger arenas on their tour but they tour much more frequently and Biffy's recent arena tour was their first ever so they were bound to do slightly smaller arenas.. had two singles chart hgiher than Biffy but only broke into the top 20 singles once within the past 8 years.

Placebo are very much bigger on the world stage but in the UK they aren't as popular a band currently.. and it's likely Biffy will headline festivals more frequently when a new album comes out.

Def not way bigger than Biffy... Biffy have recently had two platinum albums.. going at number 2 and number 3... 3 top ten singles recently (which is amazing for a rock band)... started doing arenas (and sold them out easily despite the fact they tour very very frequently..

Placebo have never had an album chart higher than Biffy... only had one Platinum album... did slightly bigger arenas on their tour but they tour much more frequently and Biffy's recent arena tour was their first ever so they were bound to do slightly smaller arenas.. had two singles chart hgiher than Biffy but only broke into the top 20 singles once within the past 8 years.

Placebo are very much bigger on the world stage but in the UK they aren't as popular a band currently.. and it's likely Biffy will headline festivals more frequently when a new album comes out.

Biify are the media darlings of the moment, surfing along on the crest of the wave provided by the likes of bowman and murray and the nme, boosted on by that muppet off of xfactor covering their song. Placebo have been consistent for the last decade or so. biffy may be big at the mo, but it remains to be seen if they can remain so. Placebo are big in france, most of Europe and the far east, and again - have been for quite some time.

dont get me wrong, i love both bands, having seen them both probably a dozen times since about 2001, i just dont think its a massive stretch for them to headline soni, particularly in a year where the genuine big time headliners appear to be a bit hard to come by.

we will all know by tomorrow hopefully anyway.

has anyone mentioned floyd? that would be a biggie, and it appears that the rift between gilmour and waters may be softening a little. it would guarantee a sellout at the very least.

I totally agree Placebo are bigger worldwide I'm just saying not in the UK... plus Placebo are certainly not in their prime.. Biffy may well be media darlings atm.. but progressively getting huge over the past 4-5 years doesn't sound like a fluke to me.. most bands lose their push after one album cycle but it is likely the next album is probably gonna be Biffy's most succesful yet (surely likely for number one album depending on time of release)... there are already talks they are gonna headline T in the Park in the short future (a festival I believe Placebo played fourth from top last time) and alongside that I would not be shocked for them to headline Reading.