The Dirty Independence Question

Kyelo

11 minutes ago, LJS said:

Guess we'll have to agree to differ on this one. my view based on a lifetime living working & raising a family is Scotland clearly differs from yours which is  based on some nutters on the internet. 

I've met some of the people I'm talking about. You know, Scots in Scotland. :lol:

It wasn't difficult to meet them, all that was required was an English accent.  It wasn't a one-off either, as I had the same experience on all but one of my visits to Scotland.

Are they typical Scots? Nope.  Are you pretending they don't exist? Yes.

And to take it back to where this tangent started: does St Nicola ever condemn them? Nope.

Edited by eFestivals

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've met some of the people I'm talking about. You know, Scots in Scotland. :lol:

It wasn't difficult to meet them, all that was required was an English accent.  It wasn't a one-off either, as I had the same experience on all but one of my visits to Scotland.

Are they typical Scots? Nope.  Are you pretending they don't exist? Yes.

And to take it back to where this tangent started: does St Nicola ever condemn them? Nope.

astonishingly about 400,000 of your compatriots live here despite the hatred & abuse.

Maybe it was something other than your accent that got you abuse?

15 minutes ago, LJS said:

astonishingly about 400,000 of your compatriots live here despite the hatred & abuse.

Yeah, and immigrants move the UK because they love tories/UKIP/racists? 

And I guess the 800,000 Scots in rUK have left Scotland because ....? :P

15 minutes ago, LJS said:

Maybe it was something other than your accent that got you abuse?

yep, it's the victim's fault that some scots are racists. I guess views like that are part of the better Scotland you champion.

Now, what was I saying about racists around the indy movement, and how snippers don't call it out? Are you having a bit of trouble with self-recognition today?

Edited by eFestivals

I see Kezia has come out for federalism, all over the front of the Guardian.

It's amusing as it gets to see snippers who've spent the last few years saying they'd like a federal UK doing somersaults in dismissing what Kezia says.

Me, I'll accept the idea of a federal UK if/when it's accepted that the federal units should be no larger than the smallest constituent part of the UK, which is NI with a population of 1.8M.

So that would be NI as one unit, Wales (pop: 3.1M) as 2 units, Scotland (pop: 5.4M) as three units, and England (pop: 55M) divided into something like 30 units.

Any solution which doesn't attempt to balance the populations - such as the standard Scottish idea of Scotland being one unit - are solutions designed to benefit one place over another, and are no better than what we currently have.

13 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I see Kezia has come out for federalism, all over the front of the Guardian.

It's amusing as it gets to see snippers who've spent the last few years saying they'd like a federal UK doing somersaults in dismissing what Kezia says.

Me, I'll accept the idea of a federal UK if/when it's accepted that the federal units should be no larger than the smallest constituent part of the UK, which is NI with a population of 1.8M.

So that would be NI as one unit, Wales (pop: 3.1M) as 2 units, Scotland (pop: 5.4M) as three units, and England (pop: 55M) divided into something like 30 units.

Any solution which doesn't attempt to balance the populations - such as the standard Scottish idea of Scotland being one unit - are solutions designed to benefit one place over another, and are no better than what we currently have.

Federalism is a non- starter no matter how you cut the cake - London split in 5 or 6 parts? No matter how you organise it there is no appetite for it outwith the devolved nations (or parishes as you would describe them.

In other news.. remember the vow?

Image result for the vow scotland text

The first item on the three stooges agenda... "WE ARE AGREED THAT: The Scottish parliament is permanent.

That of course is Bollocks as you have correctly pointed out elsewhere there is no guarantee of permanence which makes this a pretty blatant & bare faced lie. 

according to you   " many Scots claiming that it's exposed a lie about the Scottish Parliaments status - when it hasn't. It's only the daft who've been thinking Scotland held any sovereignty of its own). The very structure of Westminster makes that a technical impossibility."

So only the daft believed the leaders of the Labour Tory and Libdem parties? 

The significance - come the next referendum?... there is now even less chance of us believing any of the Better together bullshit. 

This court case (or at least the ScotGov part of it) although, at face value, little more than a piece of posturing & politicking may well turn out to have a much more significant impact on the long term perceived trustworthiness of the Westminster establishment.

Edited by LJS

On 05/12/2016 at 9:53 AM, eFestivals said:

Yeah, and immigrants move the UK because they love tories/UKIP/racists? 

immigrants come to thje UK because of better wages & better job prospects. They put up with whatever racism or abuse they receive because its better than returning home to less hope, ;less work & less prospects. Do you think if the 400,000 English residents of Scotland were receiving any of the abuse you say exists that Scotland is so much better than England, that they just put up with rather than make that hazerdous trip down the A1?

And I guess the 800,000 Scots in rUK have left Scotland because ....? :P

Lots of reasons. My brother left in 1968 because the best civil service jobs were in London. Until recently we were a backwater compared to many other parts of the world - as you have recently pointed the trend for Scottish population decline has been reversed & looking at recent figures there are more people coming to scotland from the rest of the Uk than are travelling in the opposite direction.

yep, it's the victim's fault that some scots are racists. I guess views like that are part of the better Scotland you champion.

Aww, Neil's a victim. Poor wee Neil

Now, what was I saying about racists around the indy movement, and how snippers don't call it out? Are you having a bit of trouble with self-recognition today?

Nicola is clearly and openly against all forms of racism & discrimination. By publicly singling out Anti - English sentiment for condemnation, she would be appearing to recognise that it is a bigger problem than it really is -  the mail, express & telegraph would gleefully jump on any such statement as proof that this is a significant problem. I've witnessed (& sometimes challenged) racism in Scotland. None of which has ever been directed at anyone English. Does that mean there is none? - of course it doesn't  - I just don't believe it is significant and people like you who claim otherwise are foolish & irresponsible.

7 minutes ago, LJS said:

I've witnessed (& sometimes challenged) racism in Scotland. None of which has ever been directed at anyone English. Does that mean there is none? - of course it doesn't  - I just don't believe it is significant and people like you who claim otherwise are foolish & irresponsible.

I'm the same. I think it suits Neil's view on Scotland but the vast vast majority of folk will know it's far from accurate.

Been around here long enough to know that Neil is referring to hassle  he got at T in the park. It's totally unacceptable that some idiot picked on him because of his accent.

In the interest of balance, I was at t in the park as usual this year and one of our group was an English pal who posts on here. We also stood behind a couple of guys at one point who were wearing England footy tops. We did not see one bit of trouble. 

Unfortunately I have seen loads of bother over the years round my way based on religion but honestly don't remember anything based on someone being English. Fact !

10 hours ago, LJS said:

Federalism is a non- starter no matter how you cut the cake - London split in 5 or 6 parts? No matter how you organise it there is no appetite for it outwith the devolved nations (or parishes as you would describe them.

Ultimately there's no appetite for it in Scotland either. The only acceptable federalism to Scotland would be where England could never outvote Scotland, which is clearly nuts. It's only self absorbed Scots who think 'fair' is when 5M people have equal rights with 55M people.

In other news.. remember the vow?

That thing that was delivered in full, you mean?

Oh, you didn't get the oil money of course, tho that was because no one in Scoltland bothered to ask for it in the Smith Commission, and it wasn't part of vow anyway. Has the SNP ever told you why they don't want Scotland's oil?

The first item on the three stooges agenda... "WE ARE AGREED THAT: The Scottish parliament is permanent.

That of course is Bollocks as you have correctly pointed out elsewhere there is no guarantee of permanence which makes this a pretty blatant & bare faced lie. 

How do you think Westminster can change that? PMSL. :lol:

The only way it's possible for the Scottish Parliament to be sovereign is if it's made sovereign by Scoltland being independent.

The failure for that is Scotland's, not anyone else's.

FFS. :lol:

Meanwhile, the truth of the words you've quoted is proven by the SP still existing. It's true until such time as it isn't, so you're pointing out no flaw here. 

according to you   " many Scots claiming that it's exposed a lie about the Scottish Parliaments status - when it hasn't. It's only the daft who've been thinking Scotland held any sovereignty of its own). The very structure of Westminster makes that a technical impossibility."

So only the daft believed the leaders of the Labour Tory and Libdem parties? 

Sturgeon knows the legal status of the SP. You might have noticed it's included in the legal argument she's put forwards. It's all over the Scottish papers all the time, and it's mentioned constantly where the indy-nuts gather. I knew the status of the SP, and it's fuck all to do with me.

So if your countrymen are so fucking stupid as to not pay attention to know these things, that's their fault and no one else's. But really, no one is that fucking stupid, because you all knew and know the score.

All that's going on here is your fake outrage, based in the lie of your own claimed stupidity. It's fooling no one. Not me, and not your countrymen, because no one thinks Scots have the intellectual ability of a slug.

Do you think no one knows what the snippers plan is here...? PMSL. :lol:

Your countrymen are on to you, not just me. Never mind, eh? :)

The significance - come the next referendum?... there is now even less chance of us believing any of the Better together bullshit. 

The vow has been delivered in full, and you and everyone else knows it. There's fuck all surprise to anyone with the line argued in court by the SG.

If you think your countrymen are brainless, you go and tell them.

This court case (or at least the ScotGov part of it) although, at face value, little more than a piece of posturing & politicking may well turn out to have a much more significant impact on the long term perceived trustworthiness of the Westminster establishment.

Only if it provokes the ouitrage its hoped to provoke.

All I'm seeing is the same old snippers claiming new outrage about something they've always known - just as you're doing here.

It's fooling no one, and it's changing no opinions - apart from against the SNP. People are spotting the fake act, because they know what people like you have argued in the past, and they end up concluding that there's nothing to be gained in following a lie as big any lie of Westminster's.

If you want to work a lie you have to be clever enough to hide its a lie.

Oh dear. :lol:

Edited by eFestivals

Aww, Neil's a victim. Poor wee Neil

I don't have a victim complex. It's you with the chip. :)

As you prove by blaming the victim again, and being more racist by it than any kipper I've personally encountered.

Nicola is clearly and openly against all forms of racism & discrimination.

So is Jezza, but he still called out the racism within his own party.

By publicly singling out Anti - English sentiment for condemnation, she would be appearing to recognise that it is a bigger problem than it really is -  the mail, express & telegraph would gleefully jump on any such statement as proof that this is a significant problem.

So let's pretend there's no racism and give the racists a free hand.

You are Nigel and I claim my five pounds unicorns.

I've witnessed (& sometimes challenged) racism in Scotland. None of which has ever been directed at anyone English. Does that mean there is none? - of course it doesn't  - I just don't believe it is significant and people like you who claim otherwise are foolish & irresponsible.

I don't believe it's significant, but I do believe it's common, and that it's common for it to not be condemned by Scots when directed against the English. That it's regarded as an acceptable racism. I've seen and experienced it myself. I know how it works.

The fact that it happened in crowded places where the Scots who heard it only laughed backs what I say. The fact that it happened only on the basis of an English accent has me know it's true,. The fact that it happened on all but one (5 out of 6, I think it is) of my trips to Scotland tells me its common - in some places if not all places.

And you blame the victim. That's so very progressive of you, and nothing kipper-like or Daily Mail like, isn't it? :lol:

Edited by eFestivals

9 hours ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Been around here long enough to know that Neil is referring to hassle  he got at T in the park. It's totally unacceptable that some idiot picked on him because of his accent.

Thank you for managing what has been beyond LJS, of saying it's unacceptable instead of trying to blame the victim.

:LJS blaming the victim proved my point.

9 hours ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Unfortunately I have seen loads of bother over the years round my way based on religion but honestly don't remember anything based on someone being English. Fact !

Well, now you can. The very fact of it has been put in front of you by LJS.

"There's no anti-English racism in Scotland, there's only the lying English". If that ain't anti-English, I don't know what is.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Well, now you can. The very fact of it has been put in front of you by LJS.

"There's no anti-English racism in Scotland, there's only the lying English". If that ain't anti-English, I don't know what is.

I shall reply in full later on. in the meantime, I'll simply point out that the above "quote" is not an accurate representation of anything I have said.

42 minutes ago, LJS said:

I shall reply in full later on. in the meantime, I'll simply point out that the above "quote" is not an accurate representation of anything I have said.

You blamed me, the victim of racism, for the racism that came my way.

In a conversation where I was pointing out that plenty of snippers are quite comfortable with people on their side being blatantly racist.:lol:

If you're unhappy about that, there's only your own responses to blame. Meanwhile, your own response has proven right here what I said.

12 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I don't believe it's significant, but I do believe it's common, and that it's common for it to not be condemned by Scots when directed against the English. That it's regarded as an acceptable racism. I've seen and experienced it myself. I know how it works.

The fact that it happened in crowded places where the Scots who heard it only laughed backs what I say. The fact that it happened only on the basis of an English accent has me know it's true,. The fact that it happened on all but one (5 out of 6, I think it is) of my trips to Scotland tells me its common - in some places if not all places.

And you blame the victim. That's so very progressive of you, and nothing kipper-like or Daily Mail like, isn't it? :lol:

Let me just say two things before I explain my position in a bit more depth.

I do not deny that anti-English racism exists within Scotland. I have never denied it despite your claims to the contrary.

If you have been the object of abuse because of your English accent, I deplore that unreservedly.

So, why do I doubt you? Because of my experience. I've lived in Scotland all my life - I've lived and worked in our largest city, worked in industrial Lanarkshire, lived and worked in a middle sized seaside resort and port. lived and worked in a remote island community and now live in a large town and work in Edinburgh. I've done factory work, various sorts of office work, bar work amongst others. I was brought up in a part of Glasgow that at the time had the highest proportion of immigrants in Scotland (mainly from what was then Pakistan later to become Bangladesh) 

So, I've lived and worked in a large variety of environments. in all of them I have known worked with & been friends with folk from England  -I've been to pubs clubs & festivals with them  - I've even slept with a few. 

In  all that time I have witnessed sectarianism on many occasions. I have witnessed anti Asian racism too. I've witnessed homophobia & misogyny. I have never once witnessed anti English racism. I have never heard of friends witnessing or experiencing anti-English racism.

So perhaps you'll understand why I find your claims of experiencing it 5 times out of 6 visits to Scotland a little far-fetched. I have never had the pleasure of meeting you in the flesh and it may be you are an urbane and charming fellow, but if you say things in the flesh similar to some of the abrasive and confrontational stuff you come out with on here, it is perhaps unsurprising that you received some abuse. 

Perhaps, I should be generous and give you the benefit of the doubt, but here's the thing: you have consistently refused to believe  what I say. You've called my a moron, a liar and a racist, so I don't feel inclined to give you any benefit of any doubt.

12 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Ultimately there's no appetite for it in Scotland either. The only acceptable federalism to Scotland would be where England could never outvote Scotland, which is clearly nuts. It's only self absorbed Scots who think 'fair' is when 5M people have equal rights with 55M people.

That thing that was delivered in full, you mean?

Oh, you didn't get the oil money of course, tho that was because no one in Scoltland bothered to ask for it in the Smith Commission, and it wasn't part of vow anyway. Has the SNP ever told you why they don't want Scotland's oil?

How do you think Westminster can change that? PMSL. :lol:

The only way it's possible for the Scottish Parliament to be sovereign is if it's made sovereign by Scoltland being independent.

The failure for that is Scotland's, not anyone else's.

FFS. :lol:

Meanwhile, the truth of the words you've quoted is proven by the SP still existing. It's true until such time as it isn't, so you're pointing out no flaw here. 

Sturgeon knows the legal status of the SP. You might have noticed it's included in the legal argument she's put forwards. It's all over the Scottish papers all the time, and it's mentioned constantly where the indy-nuts gather. I knew the status of the SP, and it's fuck all to do with me.

So if your countrymen are so fucking stupid as to not pay attention to know these things, that's their fault and no one else's. But really, no one is that fucking stupid, because you all knew and know the score.

All that's going on here is your fake outrage, based in the lie of your own claimed stupidity. It's fooling no one. Not me, and not your countrymen, because no one thinks Scots have the intellectual ability of a slug.

Do you think no one knows what the snippers plan is here...? PMSL. :lol:

Your countrymen are on to you, not just me. Never mind, eh? :)

The vow has been delivered in full, and you and everyone else knows it. There's fuck all surprise to anyone with the line argued in court by the SG.

If you think your countrymen are brainless, you go and tell them.

Only if it provokes the ouitrage its hoped to provoke.

All I'm seeing is the same old snippers claiming new outrage about something they've always known - just as you're doing here.

It's fooling no one, and it's changing no opinions - apart from against the SNP. People are spotting the fake act, because they know what people like you have argued in the past, and they end up concluding that there's nothing to be gained in following a lie as big any lie of Westminster's.

If you want to work a lie you have to be clever enough to hide its a lie.

Oh dear. :lol:

M'learned friend explains the political significance of the Governments argument in the supreme court better than I could.

http://lallandspeatworrier.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/sewel-no-constitutional-safeguard-just.html?m=1

I've mentioned before that I've experienced anti-English racism when visiting Scotland. I don't think it's widespread or prevalent, but it is noteworthy. I've also seen a fair whack of posters and t-shirts making jokes at the expense of the English. I don't think too much of it is particularly serious or hate-filled, but the nature of nationalism worried me, particularly as one of the times I experienced it I was just 14.

11 hours ago, LJS said:

So perhaps you'll understand why I find your claims of experiencing it 5 times out of 6 visits to Scotland a little far-fetched.

It happened.

You prefer to deny it could happen and blame the victim instead.

When I was pointing out that snippers won't call out the racism amongst their side. :lol:

When kippers say that 'darkie' brought the racist attack they suffered on themselves, that's you that is.

Edited by eFestivals

11 hours ago, LJS said:

Perhaps, I should be generous and give you the benefit of the doubt, but here's the thing: you have consistently refused to believe  what I say. You've called my a moron, a liar and a racist, so I don't feel inclined to give you any benefit of any doubt.

I call you liar when you're a liar, a moron when you're a moron, and an apologist for racism when you blame me for the racist abuse (and more) that came my way.

You're proving all three with your responses to this.

On 09/12/2016 at 7:24 AM, eFestivals said:

I don't think much of it is particularly serious or hate-filled either (tho some of it is, too).

The excusing of it should worry anyone.

Yet some revel in it.

" revel "

Can you please be specific. I have read a few people comment now on how racist abuse anywhere is unacceptable. Every time you have mentioned this down the years I have stated it's totally unacceptable. Who's revelling in it , who are you referring to ?

Based on loads of visits to t in the park, on occasion in the company of English friends, I have been able to share my personal experience of the festival with you.

I have never experienced what you have had to put up with as you know. Off the top of my head, Neil maybe you could help with the numbers, I reckon hundreds if not thousands of English folk have attended or been invited to perform.

Your appalling experience of being subject to vile abuse on 5 out of 6 visits does appear to be unusual as you can easily find endless remarks from English folks about t having the best crowd in the world etc. This fact is not meant to play down these 5 incidents but do you accept your own experience would not be considered the norm ?

I personally don't agree with these quotes about T but they are interesting in this context as they represent the experience of other English folk who visited the festival and hopefully they give you some balance now that T has gone. 

I know you have also been the victim of threatening, violent abuse on these very boards so hopefully conversing with friendly folk who quite clearly don't have a racist bone in their body, like Ljs for example, will restore your faith :-)

Looking like our chancellor won't pass on what is effectively a Tory tax cut for the higher earners up here. 

Tories not happy about Scotland taking the direction of being the highest taxed Country within the U.K. .

Also commenting that some of these rich types are also seeing their council tax increase more steeply than those in wee houses not worth a fortune and who's bands will not see that type of hike.

Vote winner or vote loser ??

Thoughts ?? 

51 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

" revel "

Can you please be specific. I have read a few people comment now on how racist abuse anywhere is unacceptable. Every time you have mentioned this down the years I have stated it's totally unacceptable. Who's revelling in it , who are you referring to ?

Based on loads of visits to t in the park, on occasion in the company of English friends, I have been able to share my personal experience of the festival with you.

I have never experienced what you have had to put up with as you know. Off the top of my head, Neil maybe you could help with the numbers, I reckon hundreds if not thousands of English folk have attended or been invited to perform.

Your appalling experience of being subject to vile abuse on 5 out of 6 visits does appear to be unusual as you can easily find endless remarks from English folks about t having the best crowd in the world etc. This fact is not meant to play down these 5 incidents but do you accept your own experience would not be considered the norm ?

I personally don't agree with these quotes about T but they are interesting in this context as they represent the experience of other English folk who visited the festival and hopefully they give you some balance now that T has gone. 

I know you have also been the victim of threatening, violent abuse on these very boards so hopefully conversing with friendly folk who quite clearly don't have a racist bone in their body, like Ljs for example, will restore your faith :-)

comfy, as far as I can remember, on the few occasions I've mentioned these experiences of mine in Scotland, you've come straight back with saying it's unacceptable.

I've no issues with that, but that's not been the only way what i've said has been responded to, has it? 

I'm well aware that my experiences are not the experiences of everyone, which is why they were not mentioned in the reviews of T I wrote, and is why I try not to bring them into the conversation here either - tho there are times when mention of them is appropriate, particularly when some people are trying to play down the fact of the problem existing (and we all know it's a problem, even LJS when he's not doing his denial act).

I've seen others post on these forums about having suffered the same at T, so I know it's not just me. But perhaps I suffered worst than others might do, because I wasn't there hanging with mates (and being somewhat insular because of it), but was instead dashing around here there and everywhere taking pics - and all but one of the occasions was near the slam tent, trying to get thru crowds into the tent. I was perhaps a bit more pushing-thru than others might have been, but with 'excuse me' as I did. Fair enough for someone to perhaps respond with "fuck off pushing thru" (not that I was THAT pushy) and some probably did (I don't remember), but some come-backs were based on my obvious English accent. Whatever, I try not to make a thing of it, but that sort of abuse of the English is a thing in Scotland even if it's not everyone's typical experience, and we all know it - and it can be mentioned.

To bring it back to what led to it being mentioned again, it would be great if Sturgeon called it out just as she's quick to call out racism based on other factors. But she doesn't, and I'm not particularly surprised. As i've already said (about something slightly different, i think) it's not usual for any politician to call an element of their supporters thick/racists/whatever.

Edited by eFestivals

33 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Looking like our chancellor won't pass on what is effectively a Tory tax cut for the higher earners up here. 

Tories not happy about Scotland taking the direction of being the highest taxed Country within the U.K. .

Also commenting that some of these rich types are also seeing their council tax increase more steeply than those in wee houses not worth a fortune and who's bands will not see that type of hike.

Vote winner or vote loser ??

Thoughts ?? 

No one likes paying more in taxes, and particularly when they can point at others who are paying less.

To take a different angle on that, Labour and the LibDems suggested a small income tax rise for Scotland, but in circumstances where the lowest paid would still pay less tax than currently (due to a change in the tax free allowance). This will have resulted in Scotland's lowest paid paying more in tax than rUK's lowest paid, and LJS said that was absolutely unacceptable for Scotland's lowest paid to get a smaller tax cut than the equivalent in England - so it works just the same way for the low paid as the high paid.

And while snippers love to say how happy they'd be to pay higher taxes, you get people complaining that tax cuts aren't big enough, while voting for a party who have no stated intention of raising taxes.

How do you reckon the SNP's popularity would hold up if they actually increased taxes by something meaningful rather than the almost-meaningless change you've highlighted? :P

And with 50% of Scotland voting SNP, if there's moans about council tax increases, guess who plenty of those moans are coming from?:P

It's probably no great surprise that SNP popularity is starting to fall. 

On 12/8/2016 at 8:07 PM, LJS said:

So perhaps you'll understand why I find your claims of experiencing it 5 times out of 6 visits to Scotland a little far-fetched.

so you blame the victim, despite you having just said you know that sort of thing happens. :rolleyes:

Hey, there's been no rise in racism in the UK since brexit, cos i've not seen any of it, so it must be a lie. :lol:

Pathetic.

Yes, it's written by severin, and I won't even claim to understand much of what it's trying to say. And I'm certainly not trying to say the SG shouldn't have tried to find a better way of funding stuff than PFI.

But a £1Bn cock-up in financial planning? Ouch! That's gonna hurt.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/14/scottish-auditors-to-investigate-9bn-private-finance-bill

(hopefully people reading here have brain enough to recognise the difference between 'SNP baaad' and the pain caused by an unexpected £1Bn of extra cuts ... tho perhaps I'm hoping too much).