1. 1. Will you be going to Reading /Leeds 2012

• Yes
    • No ill be going to a different festival
    • no thats it for festivals

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im 41, been going to Reading off and on for the last 12 years or so. I won't be going back to Reading again unless the music is more to my taste, and I'm into all ages and types of music. But this year really felt like it catered mainly for the under 20's. All very good but it's not my thing. Too much wandering around trying to find something with a good sound and atmosphere, in fact it was the first festival in 25 years I found myself a bit bored at to be honest.

I went with the Ibis, but you can get one of two Travelodges for less, and they're even fully cancellable up until the date!

Not quite as lucky as this year, when I got the Ibis for £147 for four nights. £280 for next year, which is more consistent with previous years. Which is, granted, not cheap, but split two ways and viewed as a bit of a holiday... and some Travelodge rooms sleep three people (with two sharing a bed). And of course you could potentially cut out the Thursday and Sunday nights.

I went with the Ibis, but you can get one of two Travelodges for less, and they're even fully cancellable up until the date!

Not quite as lucky as this year, when I got the Ibis for £147 for four nights. £280 for next year, which is more consistent with previous years. Which is, granted, not cheap, but split two ways and viewed as a bit of a holiday... and some Travelodge rooms sleep three people (with two sharing a bed). And of course you could potentially cut out the Thursday and Sunday nights.

Three of us went this year and our first was 1993 and we've been at Reading/Leeds pretty much every year since.

For the first time we stayed in a hotel (Holiday Inn Reading South Jct 11) as we didn't fancy camping.

We won't be going back to Reading/Leeds and here are some of the reasons why...

The rip off taxis from hotel to centre of Reading which varied between £8-£15 (despite being booked thru hotel), one taxi took us halfway, then said we weren't his fare and took us back to the hotel, wtf?

The Tuborg was just unbearable, especially at £4. I couldn't taste any difference between it and water from the taps

The walk to get in from Richmond Avenue to the actual arena and the asshole security on the last day, literally trying to pull our bands off, all because we asked if there was a quikcer way into the arena, he thought we were "at it"

Two us are veggies, the city centre pubs stopped doing veggie breakfasts at 12.00 - Yates's didn't do one at all

The line-up was sh1t, two of us didn't want to go anyway, but the other guy said the ticket was his 50th birthday from his Mrs, so we went. The main reason the other two of us agreed to go was Jane's Addiction. Also, we'd waited 14 years to see Descendents, but were that fcuked off by the whole weekend that we left before Flogging Molly came on as we that fed up we just wanted to go.

The weather (cold/rain). Can't put my finger on it, but I was freezing from the Thursday onwards. I go snowboarding 3x a year to Europe/Canada, so I like the cold and can handle it...not last weekend.

We went to West Coast Riot in Gothenburg in 2010 which was really good, so we might go back there again if they move it back to a downtown location. But, ideally I'm looking at going to Primavera Sound in Barcelona at the end of May.

I didn't go this year, but will be going next year. It will probably be my last Reading weekend as a paying customer, or for the full weekend. I can see the line-up being much better next year (even though i thought it was good this year). Then I'll do glasto when it returns and some foreign ones.

The walk to get in from Richmond Avenue to the actual arena and the asshole security on the last day, literally trying to pull our bands off, all because we asked if there was a quikcer way into the arena, he thought we were "at it"

Edited by Benj

Im 41, been going to Reading off and on for the last 12 years or so. I won't be going back to Reading again unless the music is more to my taste, and I'm into all ages and types of music. But this year really felt like it catered mainly for the under 20's. All very good but it's not my thing. Too much wandering around trying to find something with a good sound and atmosphere, in fact it was the first festival in 25 years I found myself a bit bored at to be honest.

don't think im going to go next year, creamfields looks like the place for me next year, i feel like a change in genre. i've seen pretty much all the bands i've wanted to see now. Plus the headliners which are predicted for next year(yes i know theyre only predictions) really do not interest me and i very much doubt there will be any bands on there which will really want me to get a ticket

Edited by RDCL

Spot on mate, I'm 34 and been going since '95. This year, for the first time, it kinda felt something was missing. Can't put my finger on it, weather,line-up.... I don't know. think it's unfair to blame it on kids though as i actually think there was less knobheads and and a larger proportion of older people and a massive increase in the amount of people bringing there young children. I actually saw a woman with three kids pushing a fourth in a pram trying to avoid the mud taking a shortcut through the FR tent while I was waiting for Dry The River!

I'm undecided on what to do next year as a result. Might invest in Tangerine fields to cut out all that hassle or might just go elsewhere if there's a quality line-up. Quite fancying Sonisphere.